Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)  (Read 44801 times)

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE AI DEV(S)
« Reply #15 on: 19-01-2012, 10:01:05 »
Can you please post a link?

Offline aserafimov

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19-01-2012, 16:01:41 »

Offline Tankbuster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19-01-2012, 16:01:14 »
Thank you.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 06-03-2012, 19:03:32 »
I have a suggestion. The bridge repairing behaviour is not used. I wonder if that behaviour could be used for something else ? Like a flank command or some other behaviour ?

In the same vein I was looking at target objects in AIX2. These are used to home in missles on a laser sight or a flare. I wonder if the artillery marker could be used in some way to add a tactical feature like making all tanks home in on that location or some other function ?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07-03-2012, 12:03:03 »
Interesting. Worth considering.
I was considering using the already existing spots system.
But it means the view that it creates needs to actually overwrite what the arty gunner otherwise has
I think bots may be able to estimate location and fire.

But we need to somehow get bots to spot without trying to kill their targets with it.

Anyone notice that strange things bots do sometimes when you start firing at them. Zigzaggin back and forth? Is that deliberate, cuz that may open a door for bots directly avoiding getting shot by enemy if coded right.

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 08-03-2012, 11:03:31 »
Could just be their "fuzzy" behaviour.

There is an artillery marker, right ? Maybe I'm imagining things but I could swear the tanks have such a thing, or was it "smoke marker" ? I know smoke is used as a marker.

"At 2300 hours on 7 August, Bomber Command kicked off the attack by hitting the five targets
on the flanks of 2nd Corps’ line of advance. Despite some claims exaggerating the positive effects
of the air strike, 21st Army Group’s No. 2 Operational Research Section (OSR) later reported that
the bombing was inaccurate, possibly as a result of the premature firing of the artillery’s marker
shells
, and that relatively little of importance was hit."

Sic Itur Ad Astra: Canadian Aerospace Power Studies, Volume 2, Big Sky, Little Air Force

« Last Edit: 08-03-2012, 11:03:08 by DJ Barney »

Offline hawkeye2816

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-08-2012, 07:08:58 »
Yeah, making sure that bots don't try to kill people with the spotter stuff is pretty important.  I remember FH1 where you could get in a vehicle or emplacement that had indirect fire abilities and 300 cameras would go up.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-08-2012, 09:08:57 »
Issue is, how do you tell a spotter to stop spotting? Target isn't dead - Unless some how the BF2 system already has something like that - Bots call out enemy locations, right? And they do it once.

Can spotters with binocs do that? We already have the annoying smoke people going on and on, we don't need the same people spotting forever too.

But if they could, or humans can, then the remote view that replaces the arty view will bring down deadly accurate fire on a specific target. I can live with that   ;D

Offline hawkeye2816

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23-08-2012, 18:08:18 »
Honestly, though, I'd be happy if the navmeshes were fixed.  In Anctoville, for instance, bots trying to go down that main road to the church keep getting stuck behind those walls of sandbags and keep trying to jump over them.

After that, if it could be done to somehow teach bots how to effectively use cover, rather than just walk down the middle of the road and crouch to shoot, that would add a whole new element to SP games.

Also, tanks.  Because of the raised POV in the entry position of a tank, the bots can see over things that players wouldn't be able to.  Bots will try to shoot you through walls.  The most annoying part of it is that sometimes they succeed.  If it could somehow be made so that bots don't use the raised view to peek over walls and fire, that would be great.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23-08-2012, 18:08:32 »
A number of maps have had their navmeshes redone internally. Anctoville is one of these.
However, not much can be done with AI using cover. Battlefield 2 AI isn't that complex I'm afraid.

There is the possibility of making their different roles stand out better, so an mg gunner will prone more and supress so that others walking down the road will be facing a dwindling enemy or a human who needs to keep in cover more.

Will talk to Ballard about tank perspective and see...

Offline The Soldier

• Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-12-2012, 21:12:53 »
Does the AI know te difference between cover and concealment?  I find myself constantly getting shot through hegegrows (namely on Point Du Hoc when an MG42 Lafayette gets set up in the farmhouse or a halftrack rolls in)and when I'm completely in a bush on singleplayer.
It is possibe fix this?
"A war is not a war unless someone pulls the trigger."

Offline ballard44

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04-12-2012, 22:12:44 »
Does the AI know te difference between cover and concealment?
It is possibe fix this?

Bots can see through foliage. It doesn't exist to them.
Hiding in a bush or laying low in grass will do you nothing.
When playing against bots, you need to think that every single leaf has died and has fallen off.

It can be fixed, but would take a MASSIVE redo of the vegetation.

Offline The Soldier

• Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-12-2012, 20:12:52 »
Thanks.  Maybe just make it so the AI can't see through any entity?  Just my 2 cents.
If that's even possible without rewriting the whole game, though.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05-12-2012, 21:12:21 »
I have this topic that makes me think its worht bringing back up again. No bots obey my commands; for example when I shout "get in!" when im in a vehicle, none of  the bots do. They did obey in BF2 and other mods. They seem to be only getting in when they have no other choice than walking, like if they are in thr middle of the desert, and a vehicle is passing by.

Offline The Soldier

• Hullo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05-12-2012, 21:12:05 »
I think the AI has more of it's own mind now with the mod than it did before.  It might see walking as a better way to stay alive than jumping in a jeep in the middle of a combat zone.

Oh, and speaking of the AI, it doesn't see to follow attack commands (as commander) very well.  The squad leader stay god knows how far back, behind friendly lines, and just stays there while the AI squadmates spawn on him and get mown down 10 minutes later after walking to the attack point.