Author Topic: The Great Football thread  (Read 112175 times)

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
Re: The Great Football thread
« Reply #30 on: 01-09-2010, 00:09:33 »
Spurs lost against Wigan last Saturday...  :'(

Watched the re-run of it and damn, Spurs had some good pressure but just didn't manage to get that white thing in between the posts.

Anyhow, Zlatan to Milan!

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 01-09-2010, 01:09:18 »
Rawhide, if you don't already, I'd advise you to check Euro Talk and 08-fotboll over at svenskafans.com great shows, the first euro talk since spring was yesterday.

http://www.svenskafans.com/fantv/default.asp?program=1134

Was a good show, though I hate the guy to the left.

And yeah, Zlatan to Milan. Don't know what to think of that. This whole ordeal has made me dislike Barcelona a lot, throughout the summer they've acted like bitches.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-09-2010, 20:09:26 »

That is all.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #33 on: 01-09-2010, 20:09:58 »

That is all.

And we got him so cheap they call it robbery...

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 01-09-2010, 20:09:59 »
Yep. Would of had him in a heartbeat. Although, with Gerrard and Cole in contention I don't think he is really needed. Especially considering Pacheco has been given a new number and is breaking through as a first time player. This kid is going to be one amazing prospect for us in the next year or two. Keep an eye out when he comes on for us.

Never-the-less, a great signing. Spurs have a quality squad. Reckon they'll do better than Man City this year. It's going to be difficult but I hope you lot make the knock-out stages in the CL.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 01-09-2010, 22:09:57 »
Awesome!! Spurs got VdV, great signing!

what a midfield they've got now. Bale, Modric, Palacios, Huddlestone, Van der Vaart, Lennon, Sandro, Kranjcar, Jenas, dos Santos. Quite a broad midfield. Almost too much competition!

And signing cole is one of the most interesting signings of this transfer-window. He's got as good ball-control as Messi.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline ebevan91

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01-09-2010, 22:09:06 »
My kind of football begins tomorrow. (American)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01-09-2010, 22:09:50 »
My kind of football sport begins tomorrow. (American rugby)
You message was broken, I fixed it.

Carry on.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01-09-2010, 23:09:10 »
Cole is a great player, without a doubt. Unfortunately we're playing him as an attacking midfielder just behind Torres which is usually were Gerrard would play. Gerrard ends up playing behind Cole along-side another defensive midfielder where he is able to roam about and create play.

Unfortunately, this causes some problems.

Even though its his preferred position, Cole hasn't played as an attacking midfielder for about seven years. Hes still incredibly rusty. He cannot receive and play the ball with his back to the goal and has to run with it. Unfortunately, he always seems to have his back to the goal. In the ideal situation where he's played forward with the ball ahead of him, hes pretty prolific. A lot of fans consider him a winger but I think his talents are completely wasted there. Unfortunately, Liverpool is a club lacking any natural wide players and we've too many 'makeshift' wingers as is. In my opinion, having Cole as a left (!) winger is cringe-worthy. The ball sticks to his feet, he's relatively quick and he has great control in small spaces so he should ease himself into this position over the course of the season.

The other problem is that with Gerrard playing in a more defensive or central midfield role he tends to roam about too much and goes missing. He can end up leaving Lucas horribly exposed at times. Whilst being a great attacking player, he simply does not like to defend. I've my own opinion of Lucas but I can tell you he is not a defensive midfielder and I'm still baffled as to why both Benitez and now Hodgson play him in that role.

Ever since Alonso left Liverpool's midfield has lacked creativity and someone who can play accurate long balls that a 4-2-3-1 formation requires. Lucas isn't Alonso's replacement nor was he ever meant to be. Mascherano was a great defensive player but he lacked any skill moving forward. A Lucas-Poulsen partnership in midfield is awful to watch - absolutely no creativity and there's no connection between them and the forwards. The reason I'm so optimistic about Meireles - he's providing that creativity that's been missing from our midfield for ages. He's great at going forward, can dribble with the ball well and isn't afraid to take a few shots at distance. If we can finally get this midfield problem sorted this season, once Torres is fully fit and firing all cylinders again we can start getting back to our 08/09 performance.

So yeah. I can go on about football all day. Don't even get me started on the whole Aquilani thing.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #39 on: 01-09-2010, 23:09:25 »
Anyhow, Gerrard is one of my favorite players of all time if you look at "classic" players who are still in the top league

Amazing player in all ways and a great captain
« Last Edit: 01-09-2010, 23:09:20 by Rawhide »

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01-09-2010, 23:09:36 »
Couldn't agree more. Gerrard is probably my favourite player in the world. (and yes, I cheer for both spurs and pool in PL).

What makes me adore a player is mostly love for a club. I love totti as well (not as much as gerrard, totti is far from the gentleman that steven is).
This because they have both played in the same club their whole careers, I love that.

Nocoolonesleft
Yeah Meireles is a great transfer. Can't believe you got him that easily and with relative low interest from other clubs (united were interested, but nothing happened though). He could very well be the replacement pool has been seeking since Alonso left.

Pool does have an offensive to die for. Torres, Cole and Gerrard together gives me an orgasm.

Offline NoCoolOnesLeft

• Allied Bias
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02-09-2010, 00:09:08 »
Gerrard has a great love for Liverpool and I believe he'll finish his career here. He's 30 now but I reckon he'll have a good few years left in him. I think his current contract continues for a few years but regardless, he'll sign on for another.

There's still some debate as to whether he really did consider moving to Chelsea after winning the CL in Istanbul in 05 but there are many rumors still doing the rounds suggesting a handful of key players played a lot in convincing him to stay. I'm glad he did. When Gerrard goes missing it really shows in the performance of the team. Not because he's our captain (I'd say our vice-captain, Carragher, has more command over the team on the pitch - especially the back four) but because he's a key playmaker and his presence on the pitch commands a lot of respect. There were many reasons why we had such a poor season last season but one of the factors was Gerrard's performance. The 09/10 season was definitely one of the worst of his career. This was mostly down to disagreements between himself and Benitez but a lot of it had to do with the fact that Gerrard had his England hat on. A lot of fans including myself genuinely believe his head wasn't in the game, but in fact looking forward to the World Cup. Alas, he's back from it all now and the real Gerrard is back.

As for Meireles, I don't think anyone saw it coming. We got him for relatively cheap too. Apparently he only had a year or so left on his contract at Porto and they weren't willing to let him go for nothing next year, so when we put in an offer they bit our hand off. Moutinho is tipped to take Meireles' first team place at Porto this season so they weren't too bothered about losing such a talented key player. I, along with a lot of other fans were amazed when we signed him. If all goes well and he finds his feet in the Premier League it'll totally transform our team.

We do have a good offensive team but as previously mentioned we've got problems linking up the midfield with the forwards. Its yet to click but I have faith it'll come good.

Besides Pacheco, the other player I really do rate and suggest keeping an eye out for is Maxi Rodriguez. Whenever he comes on from the bench the whole forward side of the team plays much more fluidly, and he links up well with Torres. The downside is he's yet to start proper for the first team being kept out by Kuyt. To be honest, I consider Maxi a much more complete player than Kuyt and he's exactly what we need in our squad.

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #42 on: 13-09-2010, 18:09:14 »
Had a mighty good time watching Everton vs United last Saturday!

Nice to see Everton really showing their spirits

Anyhow, tommorrow...

SPUUUUURS!

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13-09-2010, 19:09:41 »
Gerrard has a great love for Liverpool and I believe he'll finish his career here. He's 30 now but I reckon he'll have a good few years left in him. I think his current contract continues for a few years but regardless, he'll sign on for another.

There's still some debate as to whether he really did consider moving to Chelsea after winning the CL in Istanbul in 05 but there are many rumors still doing the rounds suggesting a handful of key players played a lot in convincing him to stay. I'm glad he did. When Gerrard goes missing it really shows in the performance of the team. Not because he's our captain (I'd say our vice-captain, Carragher, has more command over the team on the pitch - especially the back four) but because he's a key playmaker and his presence on the pitch commands a lot of respect. There were many reasons why we had such a poor season last season but one of the factors was Gerrard's performance. The 09/10 season was definitely one of the worst of his career. This was mostly down to disagreements between himself and Benitez but a lot of it had to do with the fact that Gerrard had his England hat on. A lot of fans including myself genuinely believe his head wasn't in the game, but in fact looking forward to the World Cup. Alas, he's back from it all now and the real Gerrard is back.

As for Meireles, I don't think anyone saw it coming. We got him for relatively cheap too. Apparently he only had a year or so left on his contract at Porto and they weren't willing to let him go for nothing next year, so when we put in an offer they bit our hand off. Moutinho is tipped to take Meireles' first team place at Porto this season so they weren't too bothered about losing such a talented key player. I, along with a lot of other fans were amazed when we signed him. If all goes well and he finds his feet in the Premier League it'll totally transform our team.

We do have a good offensive team but as previously mentioned we've got problems linking up the midfield with the forwards. Its yet to click but I have faith it'll come good.

Besides Pacheco, the other player I really do rate and suggest keeping an eye out for is Maxi Rodriguez. Whenever he comes on from the bench the whole forward side of the team plays much more fluidly, and he links up well with Torres. The downside is he's yet to start proper for the first team being kept out by Kuyt. To be honest, I consider Maxi a much more complete player than Kuyt and he's exactly what we need in our squad.

Also, keep an eye out for Suso and Jonjo Shelvey from the reserves. Both will be big stars in the future.

Offline Moose

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-09-2010, 19:09:00 »
I really wanted Birmingham to beat L'pool :(