Author Topic: Need performance help (DEVs please answer)  (Read 2739 times)

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
Need performance help (DEVs please answer)
« on: 20-09-2009, 18:09:16 »
I am having annoying 'lag' in games. I have a 8800GTX, 4GB of RAM, and a Core2 duo E6600. If I load up goodwood 16 player, in cagny I get 70FPS, but on a 64 player server I get 20-30 and its very annoying. I am 99% sure this isnt "graphics" lag because I can be staring at a wall and still get the low FPS. Like I dont think my graphics card is the problem. Also lowering my AA from 4x to 0x doesnt change anything. I recently upgraded from 2gb of ram to 4gb and no change. So I can assume this is related to my CPU? What can I do to increase my FPS? It seems to lag in areas of high statics like cagny and giarabub. But when playing on a empty server no lag at all

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Need performance help (DEVs please answer)
« Reply #1 on: 20-09-2009, 21:09:40 »
Do you have this on all servers ?
Your PC is absolutely equipped to handle FH2.
So unless one of the components is failing you, eg soundcard, videocard, etc there should be no problem.
Boot up a single player game with 64+ bots, hit one of the crowed area (lots of statics, bots) see if you reproduce the problem there.
This way you negate any effect of you internet connection.

Or you perhaps downloading movies? I sometimes download movies during playing, when they are being extracted I experience a little lag.

Edit: Just saw you wanted a Dev answer, well try it anyway.
« Last Edit: 20-09-2009, 21:09:33 by NTH »

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #2 on: 20-09-2009, 21:09:40 »
Try the obvious things. Defragment the hard drive, check the nvidia control panel for forced high settings etc.

I found that the biggest performance boost can be achieved by setting the dynamic shadows from high to medium. The game looks absolutely the same, but you get like 15-20 fps more in areas with lots of moving objects (like players in a city fight)

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-09-2009, 00:09:12 »
Try the obvious things. Defragment the hard drive, check the nvidia control panel for forced high settings etc.

I found that the biggest performance boost can be achieved by setting the dynamic shadows from high to medium. The game looks absolutely the same, but you get like 15-20 fps more in areas with lots of moving objects (like players in a city fight)

Ya i set all of the lighting down from high to medium and it did help. But im just curios why I get bad performance in city areas with a lot of statics, bc I know its not like "graphics" and graphics card related. Ill try it out in single player now. And I know this isnt internet lag its graphics lag cause I see my xfire FPS thing, although I do forget to close my torrents sometimes.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-09-2009, 10:09:59 »
xfire might cause the problems
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-09-2009, 00:09:27 »
xfire might cause the problems

Closed Xfire, and used ingame FPS but it was pretty much the same. But I didnt test too much of it. High FPS when just me, low FPS on 64 player server in areas of high statics.

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-09-2009, 18:09:08 »
umm fraps can lag boog your computer down when online ;).
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-09-2009, 21:09:34 »
umm fraps can lag boog your computer down when online ;).

Ya but I dont have fraps. I ttried using the ingame FPS command and got same results. This is really annoying I wish someone knew why  :(

Offline Fenring

• Developer
  • Retired FH2 developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-09-2009, 12:09:37 »
Unfortunately this is a fault with the bf2 engine, since it doesnt utilize dual and quad cores you must have as fast core/cpu speed as possible. On vanilla bf2 i get 35-50fps on stock vanilla maps 64 players with my Quad9950 2.6ghz and gts 250. Then you must remember that FH2 uses much more high poly models and more texture sheets, higher res texture sheets so the fps will be always be 5-15 fps lower than vanilla bf2. We will try to do some performance tweaks for textures for our next theatre.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-09-2009, 17:09:54 »
Unfortunately this is a fault with the bf2 engine, since it doesnt utilize dual and quad cores you must have as fast core/cpu speed as possible. On vanilla bf2 i get 35-50fps on stock vanilla maps 64 players with my Quad9950 2.6ghz and gts 250. Then you must remember that FH2 uses much more high poly models and more texture sheets, higher res texture sheets so the fps will be always be 5-15 fps lower than vanilla bf2. We will try to do some performance tweaks for textures for our next theatre.

Ya I understand. So CPU is limiting in this case? What settings should I mess with? Thanks alot for the post  :)

Offline hslan.Lord Helmchen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-09-2009, 20:09:10 »
My machine uses definately its both cpu cores while playing I must say. Nevertheless I have also some trouble sometimes with the fps. Espacially on phl and totalize. Well these are huge maps so it seems quite natural.

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #11 on: 26-09-2009, 14:09:07 »
Adam, what kind of AV/firewall software do you use? Sometimes certain combinations of SW can cause bottleneck somewhere. I’ve had problems when DKservice.exe (Diskeeper background defrag task) would go crazy loading up CPU and HDD, slowing the game (or Alt-Tab switching). Other similar issues may occur. I recently switched to Kaspersky form some free SW I had, can’t completely vouch, but it definitely has much lower memory usage, and didn’t create any performance issues yet, so I’m sticking with it for now.

As for CPU speed, I only have dual-core 5600+ AMD and 2 GB of RAM, but since I have SLI pair of 7950KOs for a total of 1 GB of VRAM, I get very satisfying performance on all high settings with 4×AA. Aside from mysterious lag spikes (that last many seconds) that seem to affect several players at a time on a server (both in FH2 and PR, not in vanilla), occasional network lag and sometimes lag while flying the plane/copter (both in FH2 and PR, rarely in vanilla), that thing flies (no pun).

My machine uses definately its both cpu cores while playing I must say.
Doesn’t mean FH2 uses them. There are a lot of other programs running.

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-09-2009, 03:09:37 »

My machine uses definately its both cpu cores while playing I must say.
Doesn’t mean FH2 uses them. There are a lot of other programs running.
[/quote]

Believe me, it's only fh2 ;)

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-09-2009, 18:09:48 »
FH2.exe is the only process running whilst you are playing? Really? ;)
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-09-2009, 17:09:30 »
well bf2.exe of course ;) but actually nothing else which would bring my 2 cores to 70 percent at the same time yes.