Author Topic: Installed revivebf2 and now FH Launcher does not work.  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Installed revivebf2 and now FH Launcher does not work.
« Reply #15 on: 23-07-2014, 20:07:48 »
You could ask the reviveBF guys what they changed in the registry. After that it should be pretty simple to change it back again manually.

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23-07-2014, 21:07:44 »
Put a post up on their website about the issue some of us are having.  I will post back here if I hear back.

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24-07-2014, 02:07:08 »
Here is a post I found on the battlelog.co site.  Seems someone is upset that their PR launcher is not longer working. 

There was a guy called "Pharoah" that had a similar issue, here is how he fixed it:

I figured out the problem. When the bf2revive uninstaller took off the program for some reason the hosts file in windows/system32/drivers/etc/ had been modified and it didn't change it back. I copied the file from Microsoft and replaced it and PR works now. I'm using windows 7 ultimate, in case someone else has this problem. The host file has different default info in win7 than other versions. I did verify that there were remenates from bf2revive because IP addresses in the hosts file took me to battlelog.co. but it came up bf2hq/GameSpy.com if I remember right, but it said on the header of the page battlelog.co so I don't know. Just wanted share any info I had so you could help someone else if they ask. Thank you again for your help.

As much as i understand his post you have to remove the redirects from battlelog.co manually from your hosts file since they wont be removed automatically if you uninstall the launcher. Maybe this will help you.
« Last Edit: 24-07-2014, 03:07:21 by cadprofessor »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24-07-2014, 08:07:36 »
Oh yes. That will certainly do it. The hosts file in windows overrides any  hostname and re-directs it to a specified IP. For example:
127.0.0.1 forgottenhope.warumdarum.de

will re-direct fh2 website to your local machine (127.0.0.1 is always your own computer).

Find the re-direct to battlelog.co in this file and put a # infront of that row and it will be ignored. I guess you have to manually put it on and off if you want to use revivebf2 thingy. It's kind of a ugly hack to modify system files like that rather than changing the game .exe like we did instead.

Offline |30+|Air

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24-07-2014, 14:07:32 »
I said in my first couple of post that they were doing more than changing the exe file since getting rid of it did not solve the issue.  I was just thinking they had done something more to the reg. (which they did if you see my post).  Please let me know if fixing the host file fixes the issue.

Offline sgt.Felox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24-07-2014, 18:07:55 »
After reinstalling the bf2 and fh2, I used bf2hub, because I have BF2 on CD and it allows to keep the cd-key on their new server, as I understood. Anyway, there is also a function with the host file things ... and I don't know how, but now it works fine again for me ( I think) :).

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27-07-2014, 05:07:52 »
Hey Stubby   ;D

I modified my hosts file tonight so that I could play BF1942.  I ran into this problem the other day with BF2 revive, decided "to heck with it" and did what the professor did (went back to a restore point).

Without thinking I launched FH2 w/o first commenting out the line in the hosts file.  Now I get a black screen, unresponsive process, and have to kill the task.

I commented out the entry in hosts and then retried.  Same thing.  Debating on doing another restore back to this past Thursday.  Probably will. 

Questions
(1) if all I changed was an entry in the hosts file, then why did it jack up FH2 so that it will no longer work? 
(2) if changing the entry in the hosts file changes an entry in a settings file for FH2, then I should be able to edit this and replace the entry with the proper one for the FH2 servers.  I should also be able to create a back up of this so that, like the shader problem of old, I can replace the corrupted one with a good one.

Thanks.

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27-07-2014, 06:07:41 »
Restore point didn't do squat.  However, the first time I fired up FH2 it showed a warning about video settings.  I'll research this.

Edit:  I don't think that this is it.  I finally tried using default player profile and was able to run the game in single player mode w/o any difficulty whatsoever.  When I tried selecting one of my profiles, the teddy bear appeared and spun.  "Connecting to Server" was displayed.  Never would connect.  Killed process using Task manager.

Profiles in ..\My documents\bf2\profiles are:
pvtgmerpyleusmc2
pvtgmrpyleusmc
[OSF]pvtgmerpyleusmc

Also, under ..\My Documents\BF2\mods there are no FH2 or PR folders.  Shouldn't a FH2\mods subdiretory exist below this one?  I do see both pr and fh2 under c:\program files (x86)\ea games\battlefield 2\mods.

Is there a work around like adding an entry to hosts file for FH2 so that it will properly connect to the server?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

« Last Edit: 27-07-2014, 07:07:15 by pvtgmerpyleusmc »

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-07-2014, 17:07:57 »
Yo gomer!

The problems lie within fh2.47. Gamespy apparantly killed a few more services yesterday which causes this. We will make a public patch to fix this ASAP.

Offline pvtgmerpyleusmc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27-07-2014, 20:07:16 »
Yo gomer!

The problems lie within fh2.47. Gamespy apparantly killed a few more services yesterday which causes this. We will make a public patch to fix this ASAP.

You da Man, Stubbfan!   ;D

Thanks Buddy.