Author Topic: Removing the hit-indicator and kill messages for infantry  (Read 15887 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Removing the hit-indicator and kill messages for infantry
« Reply #15 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:07 »
Bastardly n annoying, but Natty has a point.

The FH Fans arent made of the same stuff as PR fans.

Vicious is working a Fh reality mod. You might want to follow that story. Get in touch with him maybe.

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:27 »

Vicious is working a Fh reality mod. You might want to follow that story. Get in touch with him maybe.

Good to know, but I am not necessarily asking for Forgotten Hope to be a WWII PR, it's just that the whole kill-message thing invalidates a number of good strategies, and that breaks the fun for me.

Since part of the problem also comes from the limited (in numbers) fan base, would an increase in players make this suggestion more likely to be included in the game?
« Last Edit: 26-09-2010, 13:09:38 by Ahonen »
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:14 »
The kill-message thing allows for personal vendettas and phobias to develop. While it's unrealistic and might break the immersion for some, I like it the way it is. However, the hit indicator I could live without.

Offline [A9]Bard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:05 »
The game would suck without hitindicator + killmessage, because the servers would be empty.

Are you implying that most FH2 players only care about score and kills?
I seriously hope not.
It´s not that, I play on public servers bcuz it´s fun to "kill" players from FH2 community and others.. If I don´t get the satisfaction of knowing who I kill it would be like playing singleplayer... no point what so ever.

Thank you FH-Team! This mod/game rocks!

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:53 »
I seriously hope not.

No they care about having fun with friends!

To come to your example: You kill an enemy tank with a Marder from an ambush.
His team sees the kill message pop up like for 5 seconds. That time does neither give them your location, nor is it a surprise to anyone who knows the map that you have a Marder.

Now I grant you that the type of weapon with which you killed an enemy could be removed, but one could argue here as well, that people gain fun out of having kill-messages like Reporter [Shovels] Natty. +bg+
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-09-2010, 13:09:24 »
Exactly. Thats why we have immersive hud. Unless you feel the need to subject the rest of this community to this. Yer, its a trick question

Offline Ahonen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:33 »

To come to your example: You kill an enemy tank with a Marder from an ambush.
His team sees the kill message pop up like for 5 seconds. That time does neither give them your location, nor is it a surprise to anyone who knows the map that you have a Marder.

It does give away the general location (they see where their last tank disappeared on their map along with the message), but more importantly: the enemy now knows how to counter you. They knwo what to expect there.
Without the message, they wouldn't know whether it was a lone soldier with a Faust (not a threat anymore), a Panther flanking them (and they'd answer with their best armor) or a Marder (and they'd send AT infantry to destroy it, or a plane to strafe the driver from his open-topped vehicle.

Not knowing what destroyed that last tank means that the enemy can't know for sure what to expect when going through the area.

Exactly. Thats why we have immersive hud. Unless you feel the need to subject the rest of this community to this. Yer, its a trick question

I don't care about words on my screen. I didn't want this to make the HUD more immersive.
I wanted this to change some of the gameplay.
For this, it would need to affect everyone. I didn't suggest this for the cosmetic effect, noly for the gameplay one.
« Last Edit: 26-09-2010, 14:09:16 by Ahonen »
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:11 »
You didn't even bother to read my suggestion.  :o

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:52 »
I like reporters suggestion, though removing the names of all kinds of vehicles and weapons, ecept shovels, knifes, fork.. etc

Offline Ahonen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:15 »
You didn't even bother to read my suggestion.  :o

I did, and it might be a good compromise.

I was just replying to your argument of how it wasn't a surprise to know a Marder is here: it is considering how many other things could have killed that tank.

And if you find that killing a well known person with a shovel is fun, I'm not against letting some weapons be shown in kill messages (fork, shovels...) like Sn00x suggested :
ecept shovels, knifes, fork.. etc

If it is possible of course.
« Last Edit: 26-09-2010, 14:09:50 by Ahonen »

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:47 »
I seriously hope not.

Hell yes! Its awesome to see your kill record with Tiger. Its so satisfying to kill tiny helpless Shermans in Normandy that are OP in Africa.

I play FH2 because I like to get kills with my K98k, if i just keep dying all the time and not killing anyone or destroying anything and not getting any score it really starts to get boring. Also its really nice when you get more score when killing a tank, score does matter.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:21 »
I did, and it might be a good compromise.
It was just replying to your argument of how it wasn't a surprise to know a Marder is here: it is considering how many other things could have killed that tank.

Thanks, finally something to argue with.

I like reporters suggestion, though removing the names of all kinds of vehicles and weapons, ecept shovels, knifes, fork.. etc

See we could lobby this if more people were for it. :)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:41 »
It will never happen, killmessages with weapon-type and hit indicator will stay. you can make long and exhausting lists with arguments if you wish, but in the end it will change nothing, because we (the FH2 team) don't wish to see empty servers for our mod.

And even if the servers wouldnt be empty, we still want the messages, because it is more fun to have them in, simple as that.

Offline Ahonen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:09 »
but in the end it will change nothing, because we (the FH2 team) don't wish to see empty servers for our mod.

How would removing which weapons were used in kills make the servers empty?

And even if the servers wouldnt be empty, we still want the messages, because it is more fun to have them in, simple as that.

If you want the "funny" weapons (like mentionned before) in, fine, but how is seeing -xxx [M10] xxx- "fun"?
« Last Edit: 26-09-2010, 14:09:52 by Ahonen »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26-09-2010, 14:09:58 »
How would removing which weapons were used in kills make the servers empty?
[/quote]

Do you think it is about that one thing alone?... There is more to making a mod and maintaining a playerbase than to look at singular things and make an easy question like that. There are literary thousands of discussions about features, assets, tweaks, setting etc in a game, and we have them daily within the dev- and test team.
. If we didnt want such a crucial core-feature as hit indicators or kill messages, do you really think we wouldnt have implemented that from start?.... I can't write an essay about how games are designed here, so instead I use the simpler and more straight (bit perhaps a bit rude) wording: it stays, and we have hundreds of hours of thinking, planning, designing and experience to back the reasons up. Honestly.