Author Topic: Need some help with spotting  (Read 4240 times)

Offline SoccerSpartan

• View Profile
Need some help with spotting
« on: 21-05-2010, 00:05:10 »
So I have started to play the mod (which kicks ass, by the way) and ive noticed that the spotting system is completely different from the original bf2 one. Im noticing that when I press Q, some things (depending on my kit and whether or not im in a vehicle) changes. For example, sometime in the center I see CHARGE and sometimes I see AUTO. Plus, some of the options are darkened. Im also noticing that sometimes when I spot something, It seems to have no affect and nothing happens on the minimap. And ive noticed (and read) that things are a bit different with the spotter class. So can someone give me some tips/tutorial/link/wiki or anything that can help explain this, cus i'm just a little lost at this point.

Thanks  ;D

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help with spotting
« Reply #1 on: 21-05-2010, 08:05:30 »
Hi and welcome to the mod.
At the very top of this section you might have seen these helpfull stickies:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=6301.0

The videos are from 2.0 but they still give you an excellent overview of what is different in FH2.

And for spotting in general check a few of these posts I found using the search button, they sum up the differences quite well.
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?action=search2

Enjoy your stay on the battlefield and never give up. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline SoccerSpartan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-05-2010, 20:05:49 »
hey thanks for the reply, but the link you sent me about spotting posts isnt working...

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-05-2010, 23:05:36 »
Sorry that was supposed to point you at a forum search with the word "spotting" ^^
Try it yourself. :)

Anyhow here is an old post of mine:
So just wanna ask around.....

Spotting in FH2 is a bit different. You can only mark targets on the minimap when you spot them through binoculars (Or via the tank sights). Spotting with those leads to a radio signal which can be heard across the map for all people on your team and which leads to a spotted message on the top right.
When you spot an enemy via the com rose without a binocular, then your soldier will just shout a warning which can only be heard by people close by and which will not result in a message.

Now to explain why this is so:
1. Not every soldier in WW2 had his personal radio with him to mark targets for his squad and the entire army.
2. It really helps to reduce the spotting spam (have you played any BF2 lately? It's unbearable!)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #4 on: 04-06-2010, 17:06:23 »
as FH2 is I'd wish if people would spot more
CMP Gaming

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-06-2010, 19:06:20 »
I make it a hobby to arty and spot  :)
the more people practice spotting the more spots arty and others will get! It all starts with you spotting and doing teamwork for the hell of it!

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-06-2010, 21:06:15 »
as FH2 is I'd wish if people would spot more

Try giving them free inter cookies if they spot.
What really helps is first establish who has the scout kit or is a NCO and ask them to spot.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-06-2010, 10:06:16 »
Even on the rare occasion when people spot for arty (not "Enemy tank detected!", that we get plenty of), they typically target a fast-moving tank in the middle of nowhere. By the time the arty gunner has had time to adjust the sights, there's no tank, just empty ground in the middle of nowhere. And typing into text chat "bad spot, empty terrain" has no effect at all.

Of course, this works both ways, so if you spot for arty and ask "arty, is the spot good" there will be no reply.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-06-2010, 22:06:07 »
Solution: create a squad, name it Arty Spquad or something like that, and kick everyone who is not spotting or manning a gun and communcating with you. Works like a charm.

Offline GreekRockNRolla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-06-2010, 09:06:58 »
Another think you can do for spotting is fly above objectives with recon planes

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09-06-2010, 11:06:06 »
Check out this video on youtube....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUiFH1G8FIM&playnext_from=TL&videos=LPMQc6uxCh8

Also always use the SEARCH function as this topic was posted more than once in this forum.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-06-2010, 12:06:05 »
I haven't spotted in a while. There is two different ways I play FH2:
1. Infantry squad
2. Spotting/ Sniping

Recently there were a lot of good squads.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11-08-2010, 17:08:42 »
When spotting, make sure to use binoculars. Always take into account a bit of 'bullet drop', I know it sounds weird :)

For arty:

Try to stand and spot ground near or underneath a target. Or... make sure you spot something solid that will meet your binoc 'beam' as you call the spot, i.e. a building. The spot will then fall around the point your 'beam' was met by forementioned object. I never spot using foilage, trees, or the sides / tops of vehicles. Those wil most likely result in way off, and/or useless edge of the map spots.

Also remember that the enemy can hear your spots, so stay alive and look for an enemy scouting kit ;)

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Sgt. Powderhound

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-08-2010, 17:08:30 »
As a regular arty player, a few pointers:
>Be patient; it's really irritating to have some idiot flaming you for not hitting their target when there may be better spots available.

>Look for feedback from the gunners; I always make sure to make the spotter aware if they're out of range or the spot is on empty ground. If that's the case, choose a new target.

>As said before, aim at the ground. I'm sick of launching devastating bombardments on some random hedge at the edge of the map. :P

>Try to aim for more static targets. By the time I've brought the gun to bear, the likelihood is that a tank will have moved on, unless it's in a prime camping spot.

Offline Sgt.Radman

• View Profile
    • Why Should I?
« Reply #14 on: 11-08-2010, 19:08:54 »
I make it a habit to man the arty and be in the same squad as my TS mates. so they spot a target and tell me what they need. And I occasionally flip in a smoke round for attack advances.