Author Topic: Chernobyl  (Read 3039 times)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Chernobyl
« Reply #30 on: 27-04-2010, 15:04:46 »
It is in IRCP publication 60. But i cut it out for you to make it more easy.

Link:
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/29083/description#description

Also, the chances of death (per million) for receiving an average dose of radiation (1mSv, you all get this just from walking around. Taking a plane (From london to New york) gives you about the same amount of radiation as a chest X ray (0,05 mSv), or high exposure to sun can increase it) is about 50. When you cycle to school it is 38,5. When you take the car it is 175, when you smoke 1 package of cigarettes it is 5000.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27-04-2010, 19:04:28 »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27-04-2010, 20:04:41 »
Zie sprechen deutsch?
http://forum1.onlinewelten.com/showthread.php?p=4753642

All of those reports in the links are negative towards atomic energy and concern the problems of nuclear waste dukat. :)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27-04-2010, 22:04:50 »
Zie sprechen deutsch?
http://forum1.onlinewelten.com/showthread.php?p=4753642

All of those reports in the links are negative towards atomic energy and concern the problems of nuclear waste dukat. :)

I don't get the point. All these reports deal with the incident of Chernobyl. They show what happened from different aspects. The reports are not really pro atomic energy, but they do neither oppose atomic energy in general. That isn't the subject at all. So what are you trying to tell me?

Edit:// And I really wonder: Are there any pro-atomic-energy-reports dealing the incident of Chernobyl? I'd like to see one.
« Last Edit: 27-04-2010, 22:04:20 by Dukat »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-04-2010, 22:04:41 »
I do not know of any, but then again one could argue that if one had just operated the plant like it should be operated normally the disaster would have never happened and therefore was not the fault of the reactor itself, but of the inexperienced crew. The energy is still safe.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27-04-2010, 22:04:58 »
I do not know of any, but then again one could argue that if one had just operated the plant like it should be operated normally the disaster would have never happened and therefore was not the fault of the reactor itself, but of the inexperienced crew. The energy is still safe.
Definitely the only argument I have seen.^^

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28-04-2010, 08:04:02 »
I don't get the point. All these reports deal with the incident of Chernobyl. They show what happened from different aspects. The reports are not really pro atomic energy, but they do neither oppose atomic energy in general. That isn't the subject at all. So what are you trying to tell me?

Edit:// And I really wonder: Are there any pro-atomic-energy-reports dealing the incident of Chernobyl? I'd like to see one.

Sorry Dukat, I meant to say that I was waiting for a reference to the sources with the things, which you stated in your previous posts. That forum didn't contain any (for me) obvious references that you spoke of. Thank you nevertheless for the link to that forum, I've seen a few of the reports, but there are new and interesting ones for me there as well.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28-04-2010, 19:04:09 »
I saw a docu on Chernobyl. It showed how nature was taking hold of the Chernobyl area.
It was amazing to see how animals, plants and tree could live  and prosper in a hazardous place like that.
Also the desolated houses make such an eerie scenery.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #38 on: 28-04-2010, 19:04:29 »
For the people saying we might run out of uranium, Canada has a couple million tonnes alone, and we are only the 5th largest supply or something. By the time we could possibly use it all up we will have fusion reactors or something.
For comparison a very large reactor will only use around 80 tonnes of fuel every 8-10 years. This means that Canada alone could fuel over 12500 reactors for ten years on know reserves only. There are 437 reactors including research and expirimental types operating world wide with 55 in construction. Im guessing some are soon to be decomisioned as well.

Also some of these rectors are old non-efficiant types. For example India produces 4000Mw with 18 reactors while Germany produces 20000Mw with only 17.
« Last Edit: 28-04-2010, 20:04:26 by [130.Pz]S.Tiemann »

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28-04-2010, 20:04:51 »
They are exposed to constant low level radiation, they thrive just as well as we would. The problem is the chance of a genetical mutation in the early stages of development of a baby can have terrible results.

I am currently reading my schoolbooks about the effects of long term exposure to low level radiation so i am no expert on it yet, will take till September for that, but i can say that EVERYONE OF YOU has a cancer at this moment. People get it millions of times in there life. The thing is the body is prepared for it and kills the cancer cells before they become a problem in 99,9999% of the cases, sometimes you get it but it is absolutely no threat ( that small red spots on your skin, thick nose on older people, a small piece of skin growing upwards,...) All can be seen as cancer. But sometimes they turn bad and then you have a problem (that red spot turns into a melanoom, aka skincancer) Now, when you put radiation an a body cel (low level, not the instand death level) NOTHING happens to it, thats right, radiation does no damage to your bodycells when there are in working order. The problem is that cells have to split once and a while, in order for someone to grow or heal (that is why radiation on a younger person is a lot more dangerous then on an older person, the younger you are, the more cells split) and when that happens the body cell is vulnerable to a copy error if it gets hit by gamma radiation.

Now, this also explains some of the symptoms af radiation poisoning, the part if the body that has to renew itself the most often is your intestens, thyroïd and eyelens. This is the reason you feel sick and start throwing up when poisoned, your guts are just very badly damaged, thyroïd you feel less but it is the reason you have to take iodine tablets and the eye exposure will make you blind, nothing more. The brain can take something like 25 times the dose of radiation the intestence can so they are no worry, your already a walking corps when you hit those doses of radiation.

will stop here, going off topic a bit lol, just saying radiation isn't that bad, sure, less is better, but we evolved true mutations, who says those mutations that made life possible in the first place weren't caused by radiation?

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28-04-2010, 20:04:39 »
will stop here, going off topic a bit lol, just saying radiation isn't that bad, sure, less is better, but we evolved true mutations, who says those mutations that made life possible in the first place weren't caused by radiation?

No one here I hope. But it's a non sequitur to say that radiation isn't that bad, because of this. ^^

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28-04-2010, 20:04:20 »
Also some of these rectors are old non-efficiant types. For example India produces 4000Mw with 18 reactors while Germany produces 20000Mw with only 17.

Not really correct way to think, why put a huge reactor when you don't need that much power, sometimes it is better to make many small reactors then just one big reactor, hell, russia made nuclear reactors that fit in a truck to be used in remote city's

Also i heard that the us was making small concrete reactors to put in remote places and that would make a constant power source for a long time without any need for personnel or maintenance.

Offline Mayhemic.MAD

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02-08-2010, 21:08:24 »
Radioactivity is no fun !
25 years later, the effects are still present: Radioactive Boar on the Rise in Germany

.. any animals showing contamination levels higher than 600 becquerel per kilogram must be disposed of. But in some areas of Germany, particularly in the south, wild boar routinely show much higher levels of contamination. According to the Environment Ministry, the average contamination for boar shot in Bayerischer Wald, a forested region on the Bavarian border with the Czech Republic, was 7,000 becquerel per kilogram. Other regions in southern Germany aren't much better.
Der Motor des Panzers ist ebenso seine Waffe wie die Kanone.
Heinz Guderian

--- Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!! ---