Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 236678 times)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1050 on: 05-09-2011, 14:09:51 »
Ah well, I bought a SSD today and I'm going to set up a nice clean system for BF3's beta now.
Not a solution for people with little money, but I always wanted to try a SSD based system, so this is the perfect pretext. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: 05-09-2011, 17:09:28 »
After I replaced my laptop HDD with SSD, it's become faster than my desktop at certain things, like opening windows (~20sec) and programs, also tasks which require a lotr of I/O obviously.
Ex:
My laptop was faster at converting open street maps to a format my map app could read. France was 1.2gb, Germany 890mb. Laptop converted France in ~20h, desktop converted Germany in ~26h.

Laptop has 1.3GHz Core2 Duo & 4GB 1066MHz DDR, desktop has 3GHz AMD Athlon II triple core & 8GB 1333MHz DDR.

When I installed win7 from a usb-stick it took 12 minutes ;D
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: 05-09-2011, 20:09:31 »
Ah well, I bought a SSD today and I'm going to set up a nice clean system for BF3's beta now.
Not a solution for people with little money, but I always wanted to try a SSD based system, so this is the perfect pretext. ^^

I love my SSD when I use it with FH2 :)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: 06-09-2011, 16:09:34 »
After I replaced my laptop HDD with SSD, it's become faster than my desktop at certain things, like opening windows (~20sec) and programs, also tasks which require a lotr of I/O obviously.
Ex:
My laptop was faster at converting open street maps to a format my map app could read. France was 1.2gb, Germany 890mb. Laptop converted France in ~20h, desktop converted Germany in ~26h.

Laptop has 1.3GHz Core2 Duo & 4GB 1066MHz DDR, desktop has 3GHz AMD Athlon II triple core & 8GB 1333MHz DDR.

When I installed win7 from a usb-stick it took 12 minutes ;D

Hey that's sound great Paasky which one did you buy and how large is it. I've never tinkered around with a laptop before, is it easy to replace the HDD?

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: 06-09-2011, 16:09:29 »
Hey that's sound great Paasky which one did you buy and how large is it. I've never tinkered around with a laptop before, is it easy to replace the HDD?

Since I've just bought one, I'll take over if it's ok. :)
You can get a nice and fast (ranked 6. OCZ-VERTEX 2) SSD from OCZ with 120GB for 144€.
Replacing HDDs in Laptops is a dream (I do it quite often at work), just unscrew the cover and pull it out. The SATA Connectors only allow one way to be plugged in, so you can't really do anything wrong at that bit. :)

Offline Paasky

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: 06-09-2011, 17:09:04 »
Mine is a 96 GB Kingston SSDnow v100+, got it for 104 € IIRC.

If you also buy a USB-SATA cable you can use your old HDD as an external movie/picture/music drive ;) I bought this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0-to-sata-adapter-cable-for-2-5-sata-hdd-80cm-cable-37385 Payed with PayPal and it arrived about 2 weeks later, works perfectly. You might want to dish out a bit extra for this though http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dual-usb-to-sata-adapter-cable-with-2-5-plastic-sata-hdd-case-29984

I made my HDD case with my dad from old plywood ;D

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: 06-09-2011, 19:09:29 »
Hmm this sounds very interesting. I'll have to check which drive is faster, Paasky's or Reporter's
Next question, did you guys migrate the OS and data to the new drive or just went for a fresh install ?
Nevermind the question, I found a site with a good explanation --> http://blog.laptopmag.com/help-me-laptop-how-do-i-move-windows-7-to-my-new-ssd

And good tip on the SATA to USB cable, at least I will have a cheap external disk that way.
« Last Edit: 06-09-2011, 20:09:09 by NTH »

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: 06-09-2011, 19:09:28 »
A bit of topic, but buy something like this:

http://www.pixmania.be/be/nl/2729631/art/freecom/extern-dockingstation-har.html

You connect it with USB and just stick your HDD in, some models take multiple and even laptop hard drives.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: 06-09-2011, 20:09:54 »
I've got an Esata port, but unfortunately you can't get faster speed using Esata.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: 06-09-2011, 21:09:13 »
note i wouldnt use SSD without WIN7 cause of trim support, and fresh install does wonders.

personally installed several intel 320 series SATA2 drives, all run flawless and fast.
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline Paasky

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: 07-09-2011, 00:09:35 »
I made a fresh install, and had all of my data ready on my new external drive ;) But I did also move all the music/pictures/documents/savegames onto my desktop, then formatted the old HDD. I also inserted a 16gb SD-card I had into the card reader as my music drive, so in effect I constantly have 96+16gb disk space + my external drive for movies & as my backup drive for important stuff.

My laptop doesn't have a dvd-drive, so I had to download a win7 home premium torrent, extracted the image onto a usb-stick and just used the product key under my laptop. It took about an hour to install win7, sp1 & drivers. Usually that takes about 2-3h :)

If you do get a sata-usb thing, make sure it has both the data & power coming from the usb, it's really annoying if you need a separate power supply as usb has enough power to operate a laptop hdd.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: 07-09-2011, 07:09:40 »
Oh by the way, if you are planing on using the SSD as your main system disc, think about redirecting your User folder to another HDD. Having it on your SSD will lead to it's quicker demise since SSD's only have a certain number of read/write operations before they die. They have a limited number of P/E cycles. Also don't forget to switch off Win7's auto defragmentation, as this also has an effect on the P/E cycles.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: 08-09-2011, 01:09:53 »
Oh by the way, if you are planing on using the SSD as your main system disc, think about redirecting your User folder to another HDD. Having it on your SSD will lead to it's quicker demise since SSD's only have a certain number of read/write operations before they die. They have a limited number of P/E cycles. Also don't forget to switch off Win7's auto defragmentation, as this also has an effect on the P/E cycles.

add temp folder and page file also to the list.
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: 08-09-2011, 14:09:20 »

This is good practice even without having a SSD. I try to keep my system drive as small as possible. I am currently trying to find how I can see if my Esata port is powered. Like Paasky said I don't want to have another power cable.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: 09-09-2011, 20:09:47 »