Author Topic: Forgotten Hope 2 - Mapping project - Good vs Bad  (Read 5298 times)

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
Forgotten Hope 2 - Mapping project - Good vs Bad
« on: 12-03-2015, 20:03:58 »
Hello hello hello..

The (un)official community mapping project that went live a couple of months ago is sticking around.
This is taking a toe on the server population of mod/game.
I do believe that the quality of Forgotten Hope 2's official content is state of the art.
However, the community mapping release is dividing the playerbase on a daily basis, (im not talking about the tournaments played on the weekends, which i love btw.).

I do think this harms our game by having 30 players playing the stock maps and 19 people playing the CMP-maps. We do not need a mod in our mod.

The content created by the FH2 developers are state of the art quility. Even though the CMP is not of the same quality it should still be in the mod. IMO it should be incorporated in the mod without developers of the stock content taking any responsability of it, neither put any of their valuable time into it.

I find a huge problem in dividing the already small playerbase.

I guess i placed too much emphasis on "badly ported content from Waw" (I was a little drunk) what i did mean was that there is a big differance between Stock content and the CMP-content, by that showing my respect for the FH2 developers. - And to ask them to include the CMP into their build.

I love the FHT content, and respect their work and WAW's and 762's aswell. I didn't want to be disrespectful - I just wanted to point out how the CMP-content should be incorporated in the mod to save the playerbase.

Thanks for now!

O-rig post..in spoiler..
Spoiler
Hello to the best Community and developers in my World.

The FH2 launcher has been one of the greates implementions imo since the launch of the mod.
It makes this mod feel more like a standalone game and adds alot to the pro feeling.

I personally think the developers should not be too afraid thease days of becoming a standalone game.
In reality this already is one. (Because of gamespy shut down.)

Nevermind nevermind to my real point.

The (un)official Community mapping Project that Went live a couple of months ago is sticking around.
This is taking a toe on the mod/game.
I do Believe that the quality of Forgotten Hope 2 official content is state of the art - however - the Community mapping release is Dividing our playerbase, making the game less populated.

By all this I mean it is time for the developers to swallow their pride and include this content into the main build via a update via the launcher. By doing that the playerbase will grow and not like now  be divided.
(Lets face it - people nowdays are lazy and wont bother downloading the Community maps manualy)
I and the Community of FH2 recognize and see what is official made content and badly ported content form WaW. You devs are my heroes. Still we need a update.

Thanks for now!
« Last Edit: 15-03-2015, 16:03:05 by elander »

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope 2 - Mapping project - Good vs Bad
« Reply #1 on: 12-03-2015, 20:03:02 »
Or, maybe keep the quality up and not include a load of half assed maps that look like dog shit?

There's more to adding a bunch of custom maps to the build than just increasing the number of available maps. If the custom maps were to be made part of the official build, it would mean that the devs were responsible of those maps. That would include bug fixing, balancing etc. I'm sure there's already a rather heavy work load keeping the current maps up to date and making new ones. Throwing in a dozen new ones wouldn't make anyone's life easier.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-03-2015, 20:03:34 »
We have already discussed this one so many times... no need to do it again.

And, "badly ported content form WaW"  ::)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-03-2015, 21:03:07 »
This is taking a toe on the mod/game.
I disagree, the Community Map Pack and the Public Pacific Campaign are joining hands of a player base that has been divided between pubbies and tournament members for years.  There are some more developments planned in the near future so there is no need to stick your foot in your mouth before the chickens are hatched.  Stepping on the toes of people who are working hard to make more content available isn't going to unite anyone.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-03-2015, 21:03:42 »
As said before, it's not like we have pride blocking this idea, it is simply because it adds more pressure on us to maintain it or change things on it.
We have enough things going on currently, especially spicing up Eastern Front. ;)

Regards

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-03-2015, 22:03:37 »
Its is still possible to put in a install/uninstall mappack button in launcher and I vote for that :-)
But I dont need the custom maps to be in the main build on same server in same map rotation

When main build with new maps sees the day. server will be populated by the 100 players maximum and you will sit and wait for it to go to 99 players and hopyfully be the lucky one making connection to the last slot. Then you will start refreshing/update server list again and find your self playing a whole new game in the server lobby
If all maps were in same map rotation on main server it would be populated by 100 too much and you will have to wait to get in

I like it as it is now with possibility to choose between servers

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-03-2015, 23:03:29 »
This one is more about 762 than fhdevs. I think the community should reevaluate the already massive 40 map pool and start making an active effort to retire the outdated/imbalanced borefests. We could start with Hyacinth, El Al, PdH, Gold B, Luttich, Brest 100p, Ramelle 100, Sfakia and St Lo(the infantry map with Canucks, not sure about the name). (Maybe alam and Rezegh too, I usually can't find anything fun to do in that map)

Another idea could be implementing a weekly/bi-weekly map pool. Showing the standards being kept up could most probably keep more people in, for example I don't fight the maps any longer, I just quit until something more balanced/fun shows up.
« Last Edit: 13-03-2015, 00:03:28 by Airshark79 »

Offline Wulfburk

• We are no longer the Sons of Horus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-03-2015, 03:03:02 »
^ Gold beach is a favorite by many (and its definitelly my FAVORITE map)

Thats the problem, ain' it.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-03-2015, 04:03:43 »
Personally I don't think the mappack is dividing the player base that much. I can still find a good game each weekend or weekday on whatever maps people are playing. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the community maps; so admittedly if the Community server is full, I'll probably play a bit less than I would if I was on the 'official server.' But 10 times out of 10, if I have the chance to play, I'll jump on whatever server is the most populated and I think that's how most people base their server choice.

By all this I mean it is time for the developers to swallow their pride and include this content into the main build via a update via the launcher. By doing that the playerbase will grow and not like now  be divided.

I really don't think it's a matter of pride, honestly the biggest factor of it has been mentioned here; it would be too much work to maintain and keep up with bug fixes etc... and atm we don't even have enough people to do that for our official maps.

The only logical way the community maps would have a chance of getting made official is if the people who put the work into mapping them wanted to take feedback from the devs and betatesters to change their maps until they're good enough to be released, and then continue to help maintain them for bug fixes after a release.

Realistically tho, A) I don't think many of the mappers have the time for that and B) if they did want to spend that much time on a map they'd be better off just making a new map for the eastern front and taking that same feedback to make it official ;)

I and the Community of FH2 recognize and see what is official made content and badly ported content form WaW.

I understand trying to distinguish 'good' from 'bad' for the sake of making a point, but I'd suggest not labeling it like that. WAW put a lot of good effort into their ports and they did a hell of a job if you ask me.

I think the community should reevaluate the already massive 40 map pool and start making an active effort to retire the outdated/imbalanced borefests.

That's the thing. I don't think most people can agree on what maps are good or bad. There are people on the server who cry like a baby every time sidi rezegh comes on, and then there are the same amount of people who enjoy it. Personally, I've played long enough where I can find something fun to do on every FH2 map. I think 762 has a good standard of running all maps the FH2 devs have made official unless someone truly calls for a map to be taken out of rotation i.e. anctoville 64 and hyacinth.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-03-2015, 07:03:57 »
Take off Anctoville and Hyacinth please! ;D ;D 8)
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-03-2015, 09:03:00 »
I think that is a concept we should go for, however it must be driven by initiative.

Imo, with this bi weekly map pool thingy we can cut down the list of active maps to 20-25 and circulate 5 of the rest of the controversial maps each term so that the nights become way more smooth and the maps which divide the playerbase turn into special occasions.

Preventing and breaking a possible alam-hy-mersa-keren-brest-rez lineup is actually a big thing in itself. And I don't think anyone would argue against playing more of tobruk against brest, chances are equal with this setup afaik.
« Last Edit: 13-03-2015, 09:03:26 by Airshark79 »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-03-2015, 13:03:17 »
Some of the posts here are clearly based on misinformation so I think it is good just to dig in and make some things more clear.

First thing is, that it is totaly unimportant right now, whether the mappack is distributed with the launcher or not. The issue is that the mappack doesn't run with stock maps, so either way, a launcher implementation is not the main obstacle and for me out of question at the moment. It is not a show stopper or anything. The Wacht-am-Rhein mappack was distributed successfully aswell without a launcher and it worked. The current one doesn't, simple as that. We need to and we will improve it.

Second important thing to note is, that this mappack or the maprotation is not a matter of 762. Yes, we are involved, but the whole project is a cooperation by different people from different communities. I don't know why people still don't get this.  ???
Even some devs who swallow their pride to give the players some cool new toys and maps. Some of the mentioned points sound quite insulting to all people who are working hard on the different maps, testing and hunting for bugs included, organization, advertisement, server support etc. If this mappack does anything, then it shows that we have a grown up and united community with some talented people and creative minds, who sacrifice their freetime to make lots of people happy.

And no, we will not cut down our maplist on 762, because people have their personal preferences and tastes. Every map in the mod is well worth to be in the rotation and represents what FH2 is.  ;)

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13-03-2015, 13:03:19 »
No.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-03-2015, 14:03:52 »
Well, nobody is stopping you to take the initiative then. Besides some hot air and condescending posts regarding other people and their work I haven't seen much from your side.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13-03-2015, 15:03:18 »
Besides, I'm cooking up something for Battle of Brest. ;D