Author Topic: Does the bleed effect really add to game-play?  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Dee-Jay

• View Profile
Does the bleed effect really add to game-play?
« on: 21-10-2009, 01:10:08 »
One of the bigger conceptional changes going from FH1 to FH2 was definably the introduction of the bleed effects and having your personal bandage.

However, FH being what it is, and most people dying pretty quickly 90% of the time, I rarely feel that feature added anything to game-play. The feature seem somewhat unnecessary, especially since the player health doesn't play an obvious role (since its hidden anyway).

I was wondering how others felt about this game-play feature, as it seems other mods have adapted to it as well. Personally I wonder why not scrap the bleed effects and the personal bandages? But that's just my opinion...

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
Re: Does the bleed effect really add to game-play?
« Reply #1 on: 21-10-2009, 01:10:50 »
Man, you are just a Debbie-Downer, aren't you?

azreal

« Reply #2 on: 21-10-2009, 01:10:00 »
Are we talking about the player bleeding or the ticket bleed on a map?

Offline [130.Pz]I.Kluge

• Better ask twice than lose yourself once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-10-2009, 01:10:24 »
Are we talking about the player bleeding or the ticket bleed on a map?
He did state "personal bandage...."

---------------------------------

True, since you are dead on the first hit from a rifle.
Now... smg and pistols are a different matter; a feature to balance the *3 hit to kill..(I think of it as that.)
*Even though you feed him a whole magazine of lead (2 rounds hit) before he killed you, he won't last very long; Not too weak, not too strong.

When I say Medic class, you say "what?"

Offline Flyboy1942

• AKA: Ghanrage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-10-2009, 01:10:50 »
Hes talking about the player bleeding when he gets plugged by a rifle shot in the leg or a couple 9mm rounds.

It does in fact add to gameplay, because you are forced to attend to your wound as soon as possible, or quickly bleed to death. The messed up senses also adds to the game immersion, because you are taken out of the battle and put into this eerie state of being while you struggle to stay alive. Also, if you score a glancing hit with a rifle, you can be sure your enemy is going to have a hard time popping back up and shooting you back.

Offline Dee-Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-10-2009, 02:10:57 »

Maybe, but I just think its odd to add features that really don't add much. Its like spending hours designing a new vehicle, and then only use it on one map, with a very long respawn timer.
I think, realism and intuitive game-play should go hand in hand.

On-Topic: I was referring to the fact, that once your HP drops below 25%, you start bleeding and constantly loose HP until you use a bandage. Happens like once or twice within an hour of playing.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-10-2009, 02:10:02 »
Its like spending hours designing a new vehicle, and then only use it on one map, with a very long respawn timer.
That's exactly what the tiger in 2.15 was, so I don't think the devs have an issue with this.

Bleeding can be extremely obnoxious if its caused by something like falling down stairs, but in combat it functions well. It makes situations where you shoot someone with a rifle and they spin around and kill you a lot less common.

Offline [SMAK]PotatoHead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-10-2009, 03:10:42 »
yes it does add to gameplay. The only thing worse than having someone work on a feature and have it not implemented much, is having someone work on a feature only to have it removed.

Offline Hresvelgr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-10-2009, 04:10:00 »

Maybe, but I just think its odd to add features that really don't add much. Its like spending hours designing a new vehicle, and then only use it on one map, with a very long respawn timer.
I think, realism and intuitive game-play should go hand in hand.

On-Topic: I was referring to the fact, that once your HP drops below 25%, you start bleeding and constantly loose HP until you use a bandage. Happens like once or twice within an hour of playing.
Weird, considering I usually have to use a bandage at least 4 or 5 times in every round. Maybe I'm just fast enough not to get shot in the face? Or perhaps I'm lucky enough only to get capped in the a**.

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21-10-2009, 05:10:07 »
Maybe I'm just fast enough not to get shot in the face? Or perhaps I'm lucky enough only to get capped in the a**.
LOL... ;D

Yes. To remove it would be to lose a bit of realism.

After all, if you get shot, most of the time you're a dead man. :P

Sometimes you get lucky and only get winged, giving you a chance to rip out a bandage and stop yourself from bleeding to death.

And it effectively takes you out of the battle while you sit there for 5-10 secs, recovering from a near death experience.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #10 on: 21-10-2009, 06:10:48 »

LOL

And azreal I love you man but you are dense.   ;)
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-10-2009, 08:10:19 »
if you barely notice it, WHY remove it? can't it just remain there anyway. Why do we have to remove something that is "unneccesary".
besides, the bleed effect is great.

Now just increase the suppression effect like it was in 2.0 and I'll be a happy camper ;)
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21-10-2009, 08:10:04 »
Try using the M1 carbine. It will make people bleed with one shot. In nearly all cases, they will drop to the ground, not shoot back, and be unable to sprint, as is intended. This makes the follow up shot to finish your opponent off much easier. It actually affects gameplay a lot when using the carbine. However, with full caliber weapons it doesn't affect gameplay much, as your opponent will only bleed with the very rare limb shot.

Keep in mind, rarely will people die from bleeding out, but rather they'll be disoriented, which is the purpose of our bleed system.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #13 on: 21-10-2009, 11:10:50 »
Keep in mind, rarely will people die from bleeding out, but rather they'll be disoriented, which is the purpose of our bleed system.

You mean they will suicide rather than bleed out? I don't wish to play devils advocate but I do see (at least once a round) very-slow walking players do the headless chicken thing and slow-run at the enemy, I always wondered if they had,... got shot, used bandage, got shot again, and were just waiting for god.

I like the bleed, gives me a moment to adjust and re-aim if I miss the kill-shot the first time.  I like the disorientation when bleeding, there's something snazzy and l33t about trying to shoot the guy that shot you in slow motion black/red and white...  like "yeah you tried kid, but you super failed, my screen looks like I am drunk on cheese and I still killed you, pfft".
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21-10-2009, 12:10:55 »

Yes it does. Nuff said?