Author Topic: Lets remember.  (Read 9657 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets remember.
« Reply #30 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:36 »
Nationality

noun: Gibraltarian(s)
adjective: Gibraltar

Gibraltarian 83.22%, Other British 9.56%, Moroccan 3.50%, Spanish 1.19%, Other EU 1.00%, Other 1.54%. (2001 census)[3]

83.22% Gibraltarian (british decendents), and 9.56 other brits (immigrents from other brit territories) versus 1.19% Spanish.  Seems like in 1704, almost the entire spanish population left the territory.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:05 »
 I was wondering when someone from the Dev team would tell Lobo where the forums are. All it took was a few references to the 'Great White Imperialist Monster'.

BTW Lobo, you are dead wrong in assuming that building a "real Europe" will ever occur. Such an eventuality will only come to pass in an alternate universe as long as France wants to be French and Germany wants to be German, etc.

The EU is a form of modern colonialization, (prove me wrong), call it democracy if you want but your M.E.P.'s are just as corrupt as any other politician.

@ Fuchs , I know you get touchy about the subject of death considering your recent cirumstances but it gets easier with each successive funeral.

@ Jummy, I hold no doctorate (wish I did) but the economic pressures of attending school prevent me from ever attaining such a lofty goal. Degrees are for young people with rich parents in my opinion nowadays. I just like to be informed about dual use military technology, small unit actions, insurgencies and sundry military engagements (like the Falklands or the Dokdo islands, Spratleys etc.)

Back on topic,

Mudra is wrong about the Falklands having a significant military function. The runways aren't long enough to support any significant action and Port Stanley only has one patrol vessel which is tasked for EEZ and sovereignty purposes. While this role is performed by the Royal Navy, they are acting more like conservation officials than anything else.

No oil has been extracted from the Malvinas, nor is there any chance to exploit such resources for probably decades to come. The infrastructure demands are such that it is not practical to attempt anything but exploratory drilling. Therefore, the argument that oil is the motivator is quite suspect in my mind.

Where the Falklands makes most of their money is from the fisheries (75 percent squid based).

WRT Torenico's comments about the restrictions on Argentinians. There is a possibility that the earlier attempts made by Arg. citizens to claim sovereignty (on the ground) have cast sufficient doubt about their overall trustworthiness. Even Argentine official history books should tell the truth about this subject area. I wouldn't expect restrictions to ease until there has been a formal treaty agreed between Argentina and the UK.

No offences intended but I must say that I will always stand on the side of historical accuracy. Too often troubles are started by poor, or incomplete understanding which in turn leads to conflicts that wiser heads may have prevented.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05-04-2009, 03:04:47 »
The importance doesn't come from their size, but from the fact that it is the main refueling and resupply point for the british in the south atlantic.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05-04-2009, 05:04:42 »
See? they only want 2 Islands for WAR.. jesus christ.

Or it looks like..

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05-04-2009, 05:04:05 »
And I highly doubt that Argentina wouldn't put military bases on it too, after evicting all those pesky Falklanders, since I doubt they would want a FRA (play on the IRA) on their hands.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05-04-2009, 06:04:09 »
I was wondering when someone from the Dev team would tell Lobo where the forums are. All it took was a few references to the 'Great White Imperialist Monster'.

Hey, someone wants to challenge me to a sarcasmfest, that's good, I'll galantly take the gauntlet.

I got a new computer, what a beast, now I can check with my own eyes...with an insane FPS...how great is this mod we are building, that's the reason I was not whiping anglosaxons with the bared truth about their false myths...and add to my silence another reason...and let me quote jumjum and William Wallace....FREEEEEEDOOOOM!

Now....cut the slack about the 'Great White Imperialist Monster', because I am aswell (and that's nothing to be proud about) another inheritor of a 'Great White Imperialist Monster' shitty Empire, and Hell, I can recognize imperialist propaganda crap at first sight, get the hell out of our land of fiesta, anglosaxons, 3 centuries were enough.

And yes, Von Mudra, the british were always talented for ethnic cleanising, don't defend those "red coats", dude, remember Boston Harbor.

About Las Malvinas, wow, it's hard to take side: the genocide argentinian militars sending kids to their deaths to lay a smoke curtain over their crimes or that bitch Iron Lady, the tormentor of the british worker class...damn, I'll pass, I hope all of them burn in Hell.

About the real Europe yeah, you are right, but hey, I am not one of those stinky politicians, my program would be the program of the old spaniard antifascist anarKists:

"We are going to inherit the earth . There is not the slightest doubt about that. The bourgeoisie may blast and burn its own world before it finally leaves the stage of history. We Are not afraid of ruins. We who ploughed the prairies and built the cities can build again, only better next time. We carry a new world, here in our hearts. That world is growing this minute."

It would be a blast
Salud y República
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 07:04:41 by Lobo »

Offline FlyGuy45

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05-04-2009, 06:04:00 »
Argentina y Chile lanzaba, cuando England entrio? Porque?
A tu, y a su pais, yo tengo mucho respecto por todos soldados que han caido.

@vM: We pretty much have claims on everything.  :P
Manifest Destiny, Monroe Doctrine, Roosevolts Corrallory. heheh

Also, I do not think that population is enough for a land claim.
Sudetenland, anyone?

@Meadow:"... like in Northern Ireland (where I do support the eventual secession of the 6 counties to the RoI)"

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 06:04:51 by FlyGuy45 »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05-04-2009, 07:04:37 »
Population isn't, but when the population wants to stay a part of the nation, or to join a nation, I say they have the right to do so peacefully.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05-04-2009, 07:04:21 »
Well out president.. por Miss President.. its talking whit the UK about the Islands. But also there are other islands under British Control.. South Georgia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands

Offline FlyGuy45

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05-04-2009, 07:04:38 »
Population isn't, but when the population wants to stay a part of the nation, or to join a nation, I say they have the right to do so peacefully.

Same, but this usually never happens. For example, our country didn't do it so peacefully. :p

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-04-2009, 08:04:36 »
Yes, quite :P  Sometimes, it must be done with force, but not always.  Look at the break up of Czechoslovakia, or the Schleswig plebiscite :P

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05-04-2009, 10:04:12 »
It was spaniard land, with spaniard habitants, stolen after a war some centuries ago, so it's a colonial subject. The Gibraltar people obviously want to stay as they are now, with their economic "special status".

Hey, but do I care?, I am internationalist

IMHO opinion every "extraterritorial" (in the sense of: away from the core territory) territory is a colony. Well, colonialism still is profitable for some.

Offline GooGeL

• FH-Betatester
  • Shedmaster
    • View Profile
    • WOLFgaming.net
« Reply #42 on: 05-04-2009, 11:04:33 »
I don't know much about the Falkland war really. I did however see a documentary recently about Antarctica and Argentinas "claimed" piece of it. The difference here between Argentina and all the other countries that have claimed a piece of that frozen place, is that Argentina claimed it as it being their own piece land. Even in schoolbooks and maps have to include this information if I got the message right. Some government organ was making sure that anyone who are about to make a map public in some sort of form of the country, that their piece of claimed territory is included in it. Think there was some law even about it that you have to pass it through this bureaucracy.
There was a few public interviews included with some people from the streets in some city in Argentina... and they really thought it was their land, a piece of Argentina so to say since it was, it is presented like that in school so on.

I have no idea how much truth there is to it... haven't really done any research either but it was still intresting! Well anyways, from what I understand you live there right torenico? Maybe you know a little more about this subject?

Oh, this is obviously kinda offtopic. Don't mind me if you don't accept it :-\ The matter tickled my fingers so much that I just had to! Sorry  :(
« Last Edit: 05-04-2009, 11:04:21 by GooGeL »

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:47 »

Depends, in some places that can be the reasonable answer and in others is wrong and unfair. If the occupying force has exiled the original habitants and replaced with its settlers is the second chapter, countless examples:
Palestine areas, Eastern Bosnia, or to choose a less touchy subject, the conflict of Western Sahara, Morocco, the occupying agressor has not right to steal the land to their original habitants with their ethnic cleanising

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #44 on: 05-04-2009, 16:04:46 »
@ Fuchs , I know you get touchy about the subject of death considering your recent cirumstances but it gets easier with each successive funeral.
I'm over that, it hurts but it's reality. And it wasn't really that reason why I got annoyed here, I just didn't wanted a memorial turning into a political discussion like what just happened here  :P Well I tried, better luck next time.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."