Poll

Do you think we need spoilers

Yes
No
I have a better idea(post)
Whats a spoiler?

Author Topic: Spoilers petition  (Read 1530 times)

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

Spoilers petition
« on: 01-04-2009, 04:04:30 »
My biggest impression of the new forums is the drastic need for the old spoiler system.
I know there is a code you can put in to resize pics but i dont think anyone understands it(me included) and the spoilers add the nice option of keeping you post small if you have a few.
(If its not possible disregard or lock this thread)

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
Re: Spoilers petition
« Reply #1 on: 01-04-2009, 04:04:59 »
Well I dont see the issue with pictures. Atleast for me, all large images posted on this board gets a scroll bar if they are wider than the forums fixed width.

But I support this suggestion as these tags are useful for lots of things.
« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 04:04:31 by Zrix »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-04-2009, 04:04:31 »
Yes please.

I really feel sorry for the people whit low internet speeds.. also when i post heavy images.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-04-2009, 06:04:56 »
I never did figure out how to use them. They were nice touches when people posted huge pictures, though.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:59 »
We're working on getting spoilers installed.  ;)

Biiviz

« Reply #5 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:38 »
Signed. Also, what about youtube tags? You know, [youtube][/youtube], with which you can embed videos to be played directly on the forums.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-04-2009, 12:04:18 »
I allready investigated in this Direction, problem is there will be a Update of the Forumsoftware soon so we are not sure if we can still use this. Maybe we write it our self.

We are on it. no need for a Vote.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-04-2009, 15:04:11 »
What Lightning said, I lolledwhen I saw the thread. Kinda gives the impression that we didn't think of it at all (we did, we are still WIP here) or that it was rejected for some evil reason and now you get the community to revolt and show it's support. Hehe. <3

The spoiler tags are a must to deal with large images such as sceenshots.

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #8 on: 01-04-2009, 16:04:23 »
Good to know, great job admins ;D

Offline jumjum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01-04-2009, 20:04:01 »
Perhaps I misunderstand the tech aspect of spoilers, but I thought primarily the spoiler was to hide something for purposes of a joke, poll, etc. Also, since we do sometimes deal with war and combat topics, and somewhat graphic but otherwise permissible pics might be used, it seemed spoiler tags were a good way, with a written notice, to protect those forum users who didn't want to view images which might disturb them. 

But I also thought spoilers were a way to save some bandwidth for the site, or make it easier for the user to load what would be a pic-heavy page unless spoilers were used. Do I misunderstand the tech aspect about this and it doesn't really save space or time to use spoilers?
Like the Phoenix rising from the ashes.....

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01-04-2009, 20:04:59 »
Yes, but if I were to post a huge picture I could post it behind spoiler tags so it won't mess up your Forum interface.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-04-2009, 21:04:40 »
Perhaps I misunderstand the tech aspect of spoilers, but I thought primarily the spoiler was to hide something for purposes of a joke, poll, etc. Also, since we do sometimes deal with war and combat topics, and somewhat graphic but otherwise permissible pics might be used, it seemed spoiler tags were a good way, with a written notice, to protect those forum users who didn't want to view images which might disturb them. 

But I also thought spoilers were a way to save some bandwidth for the site, or make it easier for the user to load what would be a pic-heavy page unless spoilers were used. Do I misunderstand the tech aspect about this and it doesn't really save space or time to use spoilers?
The purpose of the tags is to hide anything that you don't want to see spoiled on page load.  A huge image would spoil your page load (reading experience), as would an answer to a joke etc. I am pretty sure that it doesn't save bandwidth, however it makes it easier to scroll down a page while image load (they won't "suddenly' pop up and make the line you were reading move up or down and throwing you off.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-04-2009, 00:04:26 »
Yuppy-du.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.