Author Topic: Blinking flag  (Read 1667 times)

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
Re: Blinking flag
« Reply #15 on: 07-12-2018, 04:12:00 »
We had to remove that for our campaigns.  It ruined our play style.  People didn't need to watch the flag and people couldn't hide in the flag zone.  That's very important for us.
but isn't that obvious? and how is that related? you run your campaign on a minimod anyway  ???
What? I can't post obvious stuff.  Well excuse me. 
Anyway, we tried it for like 3 battles.  So it wasn't obvious to everyone.

BTW, back-capping(not pre-capping) levels the playing field for high-ping low-skill players like me.  It's pretty much all I do in pubby along with AT gun whoring.  That's the beauty of early Battlefield.  You don't have to be "good" to make a difference.  If it wasn't for that, I would just play more golf.
« Last Edit: 07-12-2018, 04:12:43 by GeoPat »

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07-12-2018, 08:12:48 »
I absolutely love the blinking flags, it's one of the best things to happen in FH2. Before this regular conquest maps were just about racing from flag to another as there was one squad back-capping everything, this was already a douche thing to do in vanilla BF2 (so many Karkands and Jalalabads won just by being an asshole). It also brings pacing into push maps, as when you lose a flag, you organise defence on the next flag, instead of losing it immediately because someone has spent 15 minutes of a 20 minute match "precapping" a flag.

FH2 is about two big frontlines that smash against each other, not about hunting lone wolves sneaking behind your lines.

And besides, 90% of players don't even look at the map, so at most a back-capper has to deal with one or two enemies. Shouldn't be too much of a trouble to deal with that. This is a feature that's also been included in all modern BF games (since BF3 if I remember correctly), and it works well there too. And just like in FH2, most people don't even pay attention to it.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline justasug

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01-01-2019, 14:01:54 »
I'll also add that I don’t understand the appeal of capping a flag with no resistance. I want to fight over the flag and win it, not just crouch next to my teammates until a timer is up, hop in the car and peace out.
Then that's certainly either a poorly thought-out map design or you're playing on a 10vs10 server.

it also makes you think twice about attacking (if you’re smart) to wait for teammates and not just jump into a flag by yourself hoping to surprise the enemy.
I don't think that ever happens, because the pace of the game is just too quick for that to have any relevance.

It just never appealed to me to hop in a Jeep and bum rush a flag that no ones defending. I never felt satisfaction from capping it.
Most of the time there are enough squads to have each flag have one dedicated squad. If there are no defenders on a flag, then that team should be punished with an "easy" capture by a single guy with a jeep.

I've read all the explanations and replies and I still don't see how it was that desperately needed. To be honest, it doesn't have that much of an impact in the game as someone said (no one is watching the map), but it still feels like an immersion killer. More than "back-capping", "pre-capping" or however you'd call those certain emerging gameplay features (which I think are already balancing themselves out on their own).

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01-01-2019, 17:01:04 »
This is a good addition to the mod IMHO, ever since the devs decided to "ditch" the commander there was always something lacking in terms of warning the players regarding approaching enemies. Just think of it as an "automated commander" signalling to you to keep an eye on a particular flag.

Sadly, the other gameplay purposes of the commander (communicate about possible attack strategies, coordinate squads, provide intel support and "positive reinforcement" for player actions) are not so easily replaceable...

Maybe it's time to throw the attackers a bone too and give them back (some) commander support on maps that don't currently feature it ?
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01-01-2019, 23:01:56 »
Then that's certainly either a poorly thought-out map design or you're playing on a 10vs10 server.

I'm not talking about any specific map. I'm talking about the tactics that I've seen used by people on a 100 player server multiple times. This discourages those tactics, which is a good thing imo.

I don't think that ever happens, because the pace of the game is just too quick for that to have any relevance.

It certainly happens for me. The blinking flag now punishes you for lone wolfing into a flag like that, which is a good thing imo.

Most of the time there are enough squads to have each flag have one dedicated squad. If there are no defenders on a flag, then that team should be punished with an "easy" capture by a single guy with a jeep.

You talk about how the game is too 'fast paced' for people to not rush into a flag alone, and then talk about how a team should dedicate squads to defend individual flags. That's not going to happen on a pub server, people want to go to where the action is, not sit at a flag that no one is attacking. This allows teams to play for flags that are being capped and, if they're smart, shift their forces to contested flags quicker.

I've read all the explanations and replies and I still don't see how it was that desperately needed. To be honest, it doesn't have that much of an impact in the game as someone said (no one is watching the map), but it still feels like an immersion killer. More than "back-capping", "pre-capping" or however you'd call those certain emerging gameplay features (which I think are already balancing themselves out on their own).

I can't get behind the idea that this addition is an 'immersion killer' when it only shows up on the minimap which, in-itself, is an immersion killer. AND when it reduces the lone wolfing tactics that I mentioned above, which are more immersion killing and teamwork killing than the blinking flag.