Author Topic: Tank Commander View  (Read 1032 times)

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
Tank Commander View
« on: 22-04-2012, 13:04:09 »
So here it is..we all know the tank commander's view is supposed to be from INSIDE the tanks cupola. Right now it feels like you are sticking your head out of the hatch, there is no vision limitation at all. This gives a big arcadey feeling to the whole tanking.
Now why don't add a vision slit like the puma has to every tank?
You know, like this:

http://imageshack.us/g/338/screen000ll.jpg/

For free look, just move the whole vision slit, i know it is not realistic but coding something else would be too much work i guess..

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Tank Commander View
« Reply #1 on: 22-04-2012, 14:04:13 »
I think the current system is supposed to be a blend between the "out of hatch" and periscope views... True you have no vision limitation, but there is a really narrow field of view compared to regular infantry view.

Since we have no possibility to implement real "head sticking out" view, I think it's fine like this. Or you can put this and keep the FOV the same to give an impression you're really looking through a periscope.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-04-2012, 02:04:50 »
As unbelievably epic it would be if we were to have a commander view from the cupola, I think our current system is fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most tank commanders preferred to keep the hatch open when going into battle, apart from the obvious situations where they were under heavy small arms fire.

With the as-is commander view you really feel like your head is poking out of the top hatch of the tank. I love the feeling of driving tanks the Tiger with that massive turret and 88 dominating the foreground  ;D

Bottom line is that I think it just wouldn't be worth the amount of development time it would take to make it happen, although I totally agree that it would be fantastic  ;)
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-04-2012, 07:04:52 »
I have to go with the rest and say I think we should keep the current one. This would be a cool idea, it would make it much more historically accurate, but sometimes practicality should trump accuracy. If there could be some sort of periscope view or something that would be a lot better, or some sort of "sitting in the cupola" view. We have the cupolas, we just need to move the camera position.

Just my two cents

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-04-2012, 07:04:36 »
if they gave this slit vision to a Scout, i dont see the problem giving it to a Tank.

or go the BGF way, make a inside model of the cupola, when you look around with ctrl, you are "inside" the cupola.

but then again,untill the devs make infantry Afraid of the tanks, this is a bad disadvantage.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2012, 07:04:30 by Sn00x »

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-04-2012, 11:04:39 »
I agree that it would be harder for tanks, as they couldn't see infantry as good anymore. But what the hell, that's how it was right? If you want to be a successfull tanker you gotta watch your perimeter, if you don't, you deserve the death.
At the moment when driving a tank it still feels more like beiing in some kind of mech suit with perfect view and total control of all functions, i agree it is practical but it certainly does not feel like beeing in loud, cramped vehicle with tons of steel around you.
Adding vision slits wouldn't be too much work anyway, as they are ingame already! And the immersive bonus it gives counterweights the disadvantages like infantry attacks IMHO.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-04-2012, 11:04:55 »
Adding vision slits wouldn't be too much work anyway, as they are ingame already! And the immersive bonus it gives counterweights the disadvantages like infantry attacks IMHO.
except the fact that you need to model interiors of every tank to make free look avaiable? And there are no vision slits in tanks afaik?

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-04-2012, 13:04:19 »
except the fact that you need to model interiors of every tank to make free look avaiable? And there are no vision slits in tanks afaik?
Hence why i said for free look- just keep it the way it is, just with the vision slit in front of it- yes it is strange but you wouldn't have to model the inside of the tank. And what do you mean by no vision slits? See pics in my first post?

-Svea-Livgarde-

« Reply #8 on: 23-04-2012, 21:04:33 »
I agree with giving tanks some limited vision and keeping open vision for open tanks (Achilles, Marder, etc.), thus giving them their advantage in observation they deserve.

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-04-2012, 19:04:36 »
Oh I hate suggestions like "limit the tank to do this, limit the tank to do that", infantry are using their bazooka/panzerschreck as convinient as using pistol, consider that.

Offline F.E.Glöckner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-04-2012, 21:04:25 »
IMO it would be nice to limit the amount of HE Grenades in Tanks. Only enough to defend theirselfes and killing AT guns and clearing good defended houses/bunkers. And not enough to shelling spawnpoints, shooting one behind every corner and every random thing that made the mistake walking into their sights.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-04-2012, 22:04:55 »
IMO it would be nice to limit the amount of HE Grenades in Tanks. Only enough to defend theirselfes and killing AT guns and clearing good defended houses/bunkers. And not enough to shelling spawnpoints, shooting one behind every corner and every random thing that made the mistake walking into their sights.

What needs fixing is the historical loadout for some tanks (incorrect number of shells/ shell types)

Offline hyperanthropos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-04-2012, 22:04:30 »

Hell yeah nice idea, that would certainly stop this mindless infantry raping by many tankers. Lots of people just park their tank in fornt of a command post without any intesion to cap it. You guys here in the forum always talk about playing productive for your team. So yeah reducing the numbers of HEs would force tankers to watch their HE count and not shoot after everysinge infantry guy.

Offline mopskind

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-04-2012, 22:04:09 »
on topic please?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-04-2012, 22:04:35 »

Hell yeah nice idea, that would certainly stop this mindless infantry raping by many tankers. Lots of people just park their tank in fornt of a command post without any intesion to cap it. You guys here in the forum always talk about playing productive for your team. So yeah reducing the numbers of HEs would force tankers to watch their HE count and not shoot after everysinge infantry guy.

I'm sorry, but I would say that they're just doing their job, the purpose of a tank is not to cap a flag but support infantry in capping it...

So they ARE in fact being productive (I'm not talking about the people that park tanks in front of mains and think that is okay, that's just stupid), it's just that infantry is sometimes in a world of their own and not quick enough to react to opportunities provided to them by armor support.

IF you have problems of being spawnkilled by a tank, then there is a quick solution: don't spawn there. If a flag is getting overwhelmed by the enemy firepower you're supposed to fall back and regroup for a counterattack, not keep spawning again and again like a mindless drone.

on topic please?

Good point.