Author Topic: Suppression Effects  (Read 4037 times)

Biiviz

Re: Suppression Effects
« Reply #30 on: 11-09-2009, 11:09:03 »
Couldn't agree more.
Who was those that complained anyway?
when you say "old veterans" I immediately thinks of Jumjum and stylie. But they only hang out att FF and don't even play FH2 afaik.

Funny thing is, I think we have a lot of people here who've been here years before they brought their sorry little asses in here (jumjum bait :P).

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11-09-2009, 13:09:47 »
I have no idea of these "established communities" but if your wish is to Rambo through machine gun fire, laughing at artillery fire, then maybe Battlefield Heroes would be more like your cup of tea, rather than FH2.

Totally agree with your whole post, that was the reason to add our supression effect ™.
The argument of those players was: we were trying to force a psychologic limitation to their gaming performance, and who the hell are we to do that, that we were party poppers, fun killers, fascists, whatever, you name it.

Some of the arguments were reasonable: systems with low specs suffered an excesive punch in their performance, the trigger range was too short and he could supress himself near walls, etc, but we must be honest, a bunch of players didn't like the supression effect and they were not vanilla casuals, most of them were FH1 veterans.

Bottom line: it was a bitter polemic, not worthy...

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11-09-2009, 14:09:34 »
I'm one of few WOLF members who actually liked the suppression effect.  I agree some of those bugs (suppress yourself, etc) were bothersome, but not gamebreaking.  The original suppression effect might have been a little too strong, but it definitely should not have been "toned down" (all but removed...) as much as it did.  I loved being able to really keep an enemy's head down and I even loved that fact that they could do it to me.

By the way, I've never seen some of the most outspoken people who hated the suppression in FH2 since that big fiasco.  I don't even know if they even gave FH2 a second chance...  A shame, really.

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11-09-2009, 15:09:23 »
I liked the suppression effect in 2.0 it really made mg's alot more useful, would the devs consider some middle ground between what it was in 2.0 and what it is now? because I think it could do with some tweaking. Right now mg's are not that scary to come up against pretty much on par with your rifleman in abilities on the battlefield food chain, I think they should be higher., A good example are the mg nests in Purple Heart Lane all you have to do when you get killed is respawn, crawl to bush, aim garand and fire! problem solved!

I think it's too easy, overcoming these postions should really be a big team effort imo. Plus proof is in the pudding I hardly see fixed mg's getting used in game & in particular on PHL only one gets used reguarly until it gets mortared or the person gives up because they cant find all the sniping riflemen in the bushes quick enough. I'll be honest and admit I'd like to see 2.0 suppression effects back but I don't think that's going to happen but there has to be some middle ground right?

just my 2 cents

What he says, a slight increase of the suppression effect shouldn't disrupt gameplay too much. I don't know if the tracers are realistic (during broad daylight), but they make a well chosen, camouflaged mg-position nearly useless, further reducing the abillities of mgs.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-09-2009, 17:09:20 »
*slips into thread*

Gimme ma suppresion back! Make people fear an MG firing bullets inches away of their pretty faces! Make them hit the dirt in terror!

*slips out of thread*

Offline Devout_Crusader

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-09-2009, 17:09:04 »
Would it be possible to leave the blurry effect as is and introduce another effect, which, in combination would make it very difficult to aim?  For instance within a certain radius around the player, if a round hits (snap/crack/whiz) in that proximity make it adjust the crosshairs maybe quarter of an inch (subject to debate) each time.  So that if you are under heavy fire you can still blind fire but the chance of accurate shots being put on superior fire is very, very hard. 

I don't know if it's possible with the limits of BF2, but perhaps it is worth looking into?  Then the fanaticism of anti-suppression effects may be swayed since it's not just more intense blur effect.  Naturally it would have to undergo extensive beta testing.

Thoughts?
Don't run, you'll only die tired...

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-09-2009, 21:09:43 »
Would it be possible to leave the blurry effect as is and introduce another effect, which, in combination would make it very difficult to aim?  For instance within a certain radius around the player, if a round hits (snap/crack/whiz) in that proximity make it adjust the crosshairs maybe quarter of an inch (subject to debate) each time.  So that if you are under heavy fire you can still blind fire but the chance of accurate shots being put on superior fire is very, very hard. 

I could agree on that. What I actually do not like is the blur, not the supression itself. Find a different way to express supression and we got a deal.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12-09-2009, 00:09:01 »
I think suppression is perfect! You can suppress with an MG firing @ a good rate close to the target rather than with a single bullet as was the case in 2.0 - Please DONT bring back 2.0's suppression unless you introduce mastard gas rounds or something... It was insane! Mgs need skill to suppress as should be the case

I'd only say, add some degree of suppression to all guns so that a squad of riflemen can suppress close to as much as an MG gunner - but that's just my thought there...

And I agree, suppression is as neccesary as the crosshair - ABSOLUTELY needed. The disorientation effect makes up for the engine's lack of 'immersion under fire'

Offline Devout_Crusader

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12-09-2009, 01:09:44 »
Please DONT bring back 2.0's suppression

That's not really what's on the board here.  The thread was created to find additions/alternatives to the blur effect.  The suppression you propose with all guns could be interesting but I feel only the automatic/heavy weapons like the BAR/Bren/STG should be included with that.  Suppression with a bolt action K98 is a little absurd lol. 

If you watch old WW2 videos of infantry engagements with no MG present you can see most infantry rise from their cover, fire one to three rounds and duck back behind their cover.  So semi-auto and bolt action rifles wouldn't make much sense for suppression.

Anyway, a valid thought.  Thanks for sharing!  Let's keep the ideas rolling.
Don't run, you'll only die tired...

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13-09-2009, 02:09:43 »
and if you dont know already , the bug where you supressed yourself is fixed in PR , the bullet has to travel a certain distance in order to triger the shader.

im all for seeing the 2.0 effect back , the first time i saw it i was REALLY amazed , it was one of the best features i could see in FH2 , even the guys at PR wanted it . I was really dissapointed when it was reduced , i mean it was iconic !! for the first time in bf2 i saw players fearing a MG .

what i think is that the devs panicked whit the low number of players , and since they didnt wanted to lose the "FH1 veterans" they changed it to please them .

Offline hslan.GN_Angrybeaver

• FH-Betatester
  • EEVIIIIIIL BEAVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13-09-2009, 12:09:46 »
yesterday i missed the effect so much.
was hiding on the last flag of falaise,wich we just caped as german.
a brit squad was counterattacking and i waited till the whole squad was in the flagzone,got out of my hiding place without beeing seen and started pinning them down with the mg42.
after killing two of them...while i was still firing the hell out of my mg, a sten-gunner easily turns around and instant kills me with 2 shots.
that felt so wrong  :-\

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14-09-2009, 01:09:42 »
The thing with the 2.0 supression effect is:

A bunch of FH1 players and well stablished FH1 communities complained in a very militant way against it, sometimes so hard like personal insults against these poor devs, wich only sin is try to showcase a believable WW2 experience, where a soldier will take cover if a wall of fire is coming. But this is, apparently, a violation against the rights of a gamer.

So we toned down the supression effect, in my opinion to irrelevant level, but the feeling was so bitter that our thought was: to the Hell with it.

Hopefully I answered to your question.

i must say lobo.. those other "gamers" make me sad
http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End