Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 197707 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #1845 on: 11-03-2016, 20:03:55 »
So I went to see a movie and they showed all those trailers about all sorts of superheroes (X-Men, Superman vs Batman, whatever... BOOOOOOOOORING) which could only interest me if I was paid to go and see them. That said, I went to see a superhero movie. What a hypocrite I am, hah!

So... Deadpool

It was right down my alley. I dislike superhero movies which I am (I guess?) supposed to take seriously. I really cant. Seen one superhero movie, you've seen them all. Yadayada. Deadpool however was the right amount of twisted shit that I like. Kinda like Guardians of the Galaxy (they are supposed to be superheroes too, right? I dont know really. Im bound to get jumped by a massive marvel/dc nerd by any minute now).

Really liked it. Not going into the details why I liked it. I guess it was as fucked up as I am.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #1846 on: 16-03-2016, 12:03:30 »
Are the jokes as cringy as they came across in the trailer? Still doubting whether I should see it, I'm afraid of getting annoyed.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: 16-03-2016, 15:03:08 »
The trailer is actually overblown, propagated by nerds and secret hipster fanboys. The American jokes, although very American, it is still safe for European bleeding hearts and Asian hyper ancient conservatives alike. Deadpool jokes generally fell within PC safety zone.

The actual movie has more sappy troll-ish romantic story for us to follow. The over-advertised "breaking the 4th wall" is actually milder than expected by most. It is often done in monologue sort of way than "in-your-face" mid action sequence cut. Material wise, the 4th wall break doesn't question your silly logic by watching his antics, rather done in form of self-critiques.

Is it a major screw up fun then? No, it is still coherent enough to be a complete, normal movie. You'll leave the theatre with dignity intact, and actually feel like a naughty schoolboy after doing unlawful things once again.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #1848 on: 17-03-2016, 13:03:00 »
Thanks Zoo, might even go and watch it now.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: 26-03-2016, 15:03:32 »
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
by Zack Synder.
Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Jesse Eisenberg, Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Jeremy Irons, Lawrence Fishburne, Gal Gadot, all the great names soon going down the gutter if the next 2017 Justice League movie wouldn't be a miracle.

Zack Synder is the guy who failed the X-Men. He returned with DC, and bound to screw this up, will he? Oh yes, he did screw up very well.

He was given a massive franchise, which perhaps overwhelmed him... he must have been startled, "OMG OMG OMG" - picture a typical west coast American teen girls meeting their favourite "celebs". "I could take on the whole Marvel franchise to begin my revenge!" - so he thought.

Plot is crappy at best, dialogue is too cheesy. Marvel know the fine line between comic book and adult entertainment, the recent DC iteration in cinema (besides the briliant Dark Knight trilogy) meanwhile, felt like Flippy's pet hate about superhero movie: it took itself too seriously. Continuing on Men of Steel's gritty theme, the movie cannot have enough make-believe plot and semi-realistic physics like sonic boom, but not breaking any glasses. Then there are too many melancholic moment for the drama sake, for example, the murder scenes, parental death, artistic scene of pearl necklace getting caught in the pistol slide, then it is broken when the slide blows back, casings bounce on the pavement, mother dying moments, pupil dilating, missing man formation, orbituaries, 21 gun salute, bagpipe, trying-to-be-wise remarks made by the characters. Too many artistic shots for what generally is a shallow story.

Dialogue is inane at best, not so convincing on why Batman hates Superman so much, and makes no sense until we reach the end conclusion. Fight scenes are probably the only good thing coming from the movie, but then it grows into anime-style powerful character fights, they repetitively tap-jumping from base and exchange blows mid air.

In summary: "Hey guys, DC here, we used to be greater than Marvel, remember? Here are a bunch of superheroes you so loved from your childhood. Bye!" Literary no thought process were given between the period and the "Bye!" If you are not a DC fanboy, get prepared. It is the second time after Transformers IV, where I shrunk into my seats, quetioning my own intelligence. Zack Synder = Michael Bay in the making.

5/10, better than Transformers IV, of course. Get points because of the effects and some good fight scenes.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: 26-03-2016, 16:03:58 »
Zack Snyder never made a X men ;)  ::)

« Last Edit: 26-03-2016, 16:03:41 by Alakazou »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: 26-03-2016, 20:03:01 »
That is Brian Synger. I point to the wrong guy, also, I wrote him as Zack Synder, instead of Snyder. Still, I blame the director for the badly cut movie. Ben Affleck is perfectly fine as Batman, Jeremy Irons is okay, although not very butler-like. I don't like the entire Supes' side, his girlfriend, the silly senator, and his arch-nemesis, Lex Luthor. Jesse's lunacy act falls flat, not convincing, too forced.

Still, Dawn of Justice gets 7.3 from the users in Metacritic, down from 7.5 on Man of Steel. Will probably fall even further as more people watch the movie. However, commercial-wise, it won't make any difference, since any superhero hype will sell these days.
« Last Edit: 26-03-2016, 20:03:46 by Zoologic »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: 27-03-2016, 00:03:56 »
Professional critics have been shredding Batman v. Superman.  It looked awful imo.  Zoo I greatly enjoy your reviews.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: 27-03-2016, 04:03:22 »
Thank you, but I made referential error there. Should have reduced the quality of my opinion, shouldn't it?

I realise Alakazou is a great DC fan out here, and he is right. DC was once bigger, and Marvel is relatively unknown. I never know and Marvel heroes during my childhood besides X-Men and Hulk. But DC? Boy... every local TV station plays live-action TV series of Batman, The Flazz, Wonder Woman, Superman, Smallville in addition to their cartoon series. Somehow, I feel they feel rushed in the cinema. 2 movies and then Justice League.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: 29-03-2016, 16:03:30 »
An explanation that makes the messy film more sensible:

Warning! Possible Spoiler! Otherwise, it is just a spoiler with a nerdy explanation to make your movie experience more enjoyable.
http://nonsensicalramblings.com/think-pieces-unlinked-2/2016/3/25/batman-v-superman-the-theory-of-a-waking-knightmare

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: 29-03-2016, 19:03:12 »
I watched "Red Sniper". God that was a mistake. I only watched it til the end because my brother and I were making fun of it.

It´s just straight up from Putins butthole.

The way Russia was depicted before the German invasion reminded me of the Shire in LotR. Everything is green and you only see top notch palaces and houses (the opera, the University, rich peoples home).

The first battle scene resulted in a Panzer III being ignited by hitting it in the engine with a Mosin. I still don´t get it. Before that the driver was killed by shooting the vision armored glass twice.

Later on the Germans were depicted as silly. Running away screaming "Ahhhh" in terror and - I´m not joking - confusedly setting their monocle in place.

Not enough. The movie brought up the question "Why are the Americans so coward and not supporting us with troops" about four times. The Americans however managed to escape the question by playing music loudly.

The best thing are some reviews in the internet. On youtube the comment section is locked. On amazon someone downvoted the critical reviews and the positive reviews appeared in a pattern. Every day one positive review. Putins troll fabric in action.

I give it 2/10 for the lols.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: 29-03-2016, 20:03:31 »
I watched "Red Sniper". God that was a mistake. I only watched it til the end because my brother and I were making fun of it.
Is it a bit like the Russian movie about Stalingrad? And is this in cinemas right now?

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: 29-03-2016, 21:03:47 »
Lol.
Im gonna watch this

"Battle for Sevastopol" and "White Tiger" Had some ok entertainment moments  8)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: 29-03-2016, 23:03:59 »
Is it a bit like the Russian movie about Stalingrad? And is this in cinemas right now?
Nevermind, I found out that Red Sniper is an alternative title for Battle for Sevastopol, isn't it?

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: 29-03-2016, 23:03:49 »
 At least its better than Fury  ;D