Author Topic: Review the latest movie you have seen  (Read 180928 times)

Offline Chariot

• Rememberer of the unremembered
    • View Profile
Re: Review the latest movie you have seen
« Reply #690 on: 15-08-2010, 13:08:03 »
Letters From Iwo Jima
9/10
I very much enjoyed this movie. It's not often you come across a movie that documents the Japanese point of view of the war. The Japanese point of view paired with Clint Eastwood as a director makes 'Letters from Iwo Jima' a great film.
« Last Edit: Today at 18:07:17 by Chariot »
Also known as HMS Campbeltown

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 15-08-2010, 13:08:07 »
The Good, The Bad, & The Weird
7/10

;) epic funny film with Sth korean style.
Some anachronism about weapons (the weird carry walther p38) but otherwise nice.
Something refreshing, i just hope more foreign film to become more accessible (chinese/russian/finnish ww2 film)

Check out Sukyaki Western Django then. It's basically a postmodern over-the-top remake of Fistfull Of Dollars, with japanese actors speaking english dialogue phonetically. I guess it's a bit in the same vein as The Good, The Bad and The Weird, which I still haven't seen yet. Great fun.

The latest movies I've seen:

The Crazies [2010]
Remake of Romero's low-budget "classic" featuring one of my favourite contemporary actors, Timothy Olyphant. It's far from perfect but as remakes go this one is alright. Starts out really well and suspenseful but slides into well know horror-territory halfway through. Thankfully the ending makes up for it. It won't blow your socks off and people expecting a high powered remake á la Dawn Of The Dead have to look elsewhere. It's more of a good looking survival sci-fi picture. I just expected a little more crazy, that's all.  :)

They Live [1988]
John Carpenter's 80's paranoia classic. It's about a drifter who comes across an alien plot to rule Earth without us knowing. Sort of a low budget proto-Matrix. It's original and funny and holds up surprisingly well, despite it's exploitative tongue-in-cheek nature. And its legendary fight scene is simply too classic to miss.

Maybe tonight I'll watch Stalingrad again. It's been a while and it is kind of a summer movie. Not a movie to watch in wintertime. ;)
Oh, watched Leningrad a while ago by the way. A bit of a so-so movie, but definitely worth a watch.
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 15-08-2010, 16:08:11 »
The long fight scene in They Live is hilarious. When this wrestler-actor try to make the black actor wear his sunglasses  ;D

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #693 on: 15-08-2010, 19:08:16 »
El Mariachi

5.5/10

not very good quality video, but decent story.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #694 on: 16-08-2010, 11:08:53 »
The Green Zone

... 3/5 ... tries to tell too much of a story in too short of time, interesting though, say what you want about america, but the ability to undermine itself is sometimes very honourable.  Everyone knew the war on Iraq was unjust, Bush & Blair should go on trial for war crimes.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: 16-08-2010, 20:08:16 »
       Inception                            6/10

Most people ive talked to liked it alot better than me. The plot itself is stupid imo, about a team specialized in stealing information from people in their dreams. How they chose to visualize that plot wasnt good either. And the set of logic rules, their system of how dreams work and how they acted in them was not how i imagined it could have been. Aswell as the "interesting" stuff turned out to be a story put in the shadow of the big drama/love story, as usual.
  The good parts was some mystery about what was a dream and whats not, the effects (entertaining enough, but nothing new) and allright actors.   

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #696 on: 16-08-2010, 22:08:20 »
Stalingrad: 8,5/10
Pretty well done. Sure, uniforms and other things aren´t totally accurate, but the way this movie tells the story from a German perspective is great. No gloryfication, no heroes, just dirt, pain, agony, officer assholes and the mercyless and cold Russian Winter. The Russians are portrayed as human beings as well, and the Germans are neither heroes nor are all of them monsters. The end is tragic and leaves a strange feeling, after you´ve finished this great movie.

PS ;)
Great movie indeed

I love how the director really made the viewer feel in the end, excuse me for using this word but I think it's the best fitting word: FUBAR

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 18-08-2010, 23:08:47 »
So. Charlie and the chocolate factory, the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory remake.
Fuck this movie. 0/0
Its like comparing Predator 2/Monty Python against the mario brothers movie. The original will always be the best.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Chariot

• Rememberer of the unremembered
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 19-08-2010, 01:08:32 »
Secondhand Lions
Plot: 9/10
Acting: 9/10
Character development: 10/10
Setting to fit the story: 10/10
Overall: 9.5/10
« Last Edit: Today at 18:07:17 by Chariot »
Also known as HMS Campbeltown

Anyone who supports the UN is a closet totalitarian and most likely supports a one world government which will enslave us all.

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #699 on: 19-08-2010, 17:08:58 »
The last airbender 2010. (3D)

Amazing work there, The story + settings + caracters are done realy well!
It feels like the avatar series, It realy does.
If you seen the series, Go see it! If you didn't it still is a good movie!

9/10
"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: 20-08-2010, 09:08:18 »

9/10

You must be kidding me?! 95% of all people who saw that movie and talked to me afterwards found it to be utterly bad and not even close to the series.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Jobabb Jobabbsen

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: 20-08-2010, 17:08:40 »

Valhalla Rising                            9/10

The best movie ive seen in a looooong time. I think people might have very different views on this movie cause its very special. Its quite low-budget, but it have exactly what it needs of effects. I really love the fight scenes, theyre short, effective and brutal, and realistic i think ( i dont know cause ive never seen anyone get killed by an axe ) People who like hollywood action would perhaps not like this movie. The action scenes are kinda not spectacular.
    Its not too much action either. It contain some long silent scenes and alot of great nature. The movie has alot of symbolism, some which i dont really understand, ill see it again very soon. I would say the main topic of the film is how the heathen religions were destroyed by greedy fanatical christians, aswell as revenge. It show a brutal, chaotic world, quite fantasy-like, but real. Its not set in an accurate particular time, does not have people who have existed in real, but its still very in touch with the reality of vikings around year 1000.
   I cant really compare this movie with anything ive seen. The closest i get is " Aguirre Der Zorn Gottes", or some kinda mixture of Apocalypse Now and Gladiator, with the seriousness of Das Boot, but with less budget. Maybe i just have a weird taste, but anyhow i strongly recommand this movie. It should be the first movie you see  ;)

Offline Cory the Otter

• View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #702 on: 20-08-2010, 18:08:40 »

9/10

You must be kidding me?! 95% of all people who saw that movie and talked to me afterwards found it to be utterly bad and not even close to the series.

If I may quote Cracked.com:

If your English-speaking movie is an adaptation of an English-speaking TV show being marketed to English-speaking audiences, you have absolutely no excuse for pronouncing all of your character's names wrong. Unless you've never actually seen the show, which...really makes a lot of sense, come to think of it.

Aang is the title character, a charming mystic youth called an "airbender" whose irreverent charm and happy-go-lucky attitude caused the complete and total genocide of his people. His name is pronounced like the last syllable in "boomerang". It is not pronounced like "hung" without the "h".

General Iroh is pronounced "eye rho" is not pronounced "ee rho". He offers wisdom and guidance to many characters in the show, followed by rough, unfriendly sex in the back of a van by the looks of him.

Sokka is pronounced exactly the way it looks in the show. In the film, it's "soak a". He's the wacky comic relief in the series, which would usually mean he's the really fucking annoying one in the movie - but apparently even "annoying" is too much character depth of Shyamalan, so he's just a block of human-shaped wood surrounded by special effects like everybody else.

Gaping Plot Holes and Hollywood Ruination
Many parts of the show's story were blended together for the film. And that's understandable. Movies are a short-form medium: Some condensing of the plot and some missing characters are to be expected. If done skillfully, an adaptation can still capture the essence of the show for the movie-going audience, while maintaining the spirit of the original work for fans of the series. It is not done skillfully in The Last Airbender. It's done more like premature ejaculation sex, where one party (movie-goers) is left confused and ashamed, while the other party (fans of the show) are left enraged and disappointed.

Meeting Aang

In the series, Katara and Sokka discover Aang sleeping in an ice cocoon, whereupon he awakens and befriends them. And aside from the fantastical elements, it is a simple, believable interaction - much like how real children might behave.

In the movie, the two find Aang trapped beneath the ice, whereupon they awaken him by smacking him with a boomerang over and over again. A baffling, kind of dickish interaction - much like how mildly retarded Australian jerks might behave.

Rescuing the Earth Benders

Whatever else you might think about the show, at least it thinks the elemental, magical aspects through completely. For instance, in the series, the Earth Benders are held captive in a POW camp on an oil rig out to sea. This is to keep them from using their Earth mastery to escape - a simple detail that makes the world a bit more believable.

In the movie, the Earth Benders are imprisoned on...Earth. Just left there, on land, standing all over the one thing they and only they can use as a weapon. The only reason they didn't instantly and immediately beat their captors to death with mockingly large Earth fists? They weren't inspired enough. Enter our hero, who gives them a stirring speech about freedom that reminds them - oh yeah - they're literally standing on top of billions of tons of weapons they can use.

Half the Shit at the Northern Water Tribe

In the series, a water master named Pakku initially refuses to teach Katara how to use the powers of water, because he's just kind of a sexist dick. Much later, and only after eventually realizing that they're related, he caves and reluctantly teaches her. This shows that even the powerful and the wise can have massive character flaws that serve to humanize them. Further, a love triangle crops up between Sokka and a girl named Yue. Though she is engaged to be married, Sokka pursues her anyway. Again, this is not the "morally right" course of action, but it adds depth to an otherwise shallow character.

The ultimate lesson being: Even the best of us can be selfish, prejudiced or vain - it is the human condition.

In the movies, Pakku immediately and unhesitatingly teaches Katara... because he's wise! That's what wise dudes do; they teach crap and junk to whomever. Also, Yue is single, so Sokka can just up and hit that shit up for some weird, twisted elemental sex with no moral repercussions whatsoever.

The ultimate lesson being: Life is as easy and uncomplicated as it is awesome, water-bros!

Presumably they cut the alternate ending where they just all go surfing and high five into a wacky freeze-frame.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/funny-5806-the-last-airbender-movie/#ixzz0xACGDBeY

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: 22-08-2010, 17:08:16 »
Zombieland:
Cool movie, really liked the idea with the rules. Characters were funny and the ending felt a little bit like "Left 4 Dead". I really hope they´ll make a sequel, the story has much potential (also Emma Stone was hot).
8/10
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Cory the Otter

• View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #704 on: 22-08-2010, 20:08:25 »
Halo Legends
4/10

I'm not much of a Halo or Anime fan, but my friend is, so I watched it; wasn't my cup of tea.
I think my favourite was the last episode.