Author Topic: Inaccurate historical town signs  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Inaccurate historical town signs
« on: 17-07-2011, 23:07:15 »
This is a no-go:

The design used on this town sign is from the postwar period.
The historical german wartime town sign got black letters on a white background. Below the town name, you'll find information about both district and county. The pilar is made of wood, square-cut and got a rotating red strap.

Actually this is a very difficult subject at all, due to several postwar local government reforms. Nowadays Germeter isn't an independent village but part of the city Huertgenwald. It might have been an independent village in times of World War II, but the sign is still plain wrong. After having seen this, I had expected an Leopard tank behind the next corner.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
Re: Inaccurate historical town signs
« Reply #1 on: 18-07-2011, 01:07:10 »
yellow townsigns with black letter using the DIN 1451 font:

invented 1920's
tested 1925
introduced 1926 in Prussia
other states followed soon

Picture taken from StVO 1937

Before judging something to be plain wrong you should do your research and resign trying to judge the difference between yellow and white from a black and white photograph.
But you got right that back then it was not called Hürtgenwald, this term did not exist at that time. Americans introduced the term "hurtgen forest" in WW2. Only after the war the Germans adopted it and combined several villages to the municipality Hürtgenwald.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-07-2011, 02:07:39 »
Oh. sorry. I thought they were still white until end of war. Ok then. :-\

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-07-2011, 08:07:03 »
Dukat, you know what this means.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-07-2011, 13:07:51 »
Actually I have to admit that this thread was quite helpful. On the search to find that picture again I found out what the actual Regierungsbezirk of Germeter was. Didnt add that because I never knew what was the correct one.