Author Topic: bayonets  (Read 5667 times)

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
Re: bayonets
« Reply #15 on: 16-05-2009, 22:05:20 »
Hm, Ajappat has a point there, bayonets are attached on that insurgent gun in PR. But then again the Brittish in PR don't have it attached. I know the Vietcong AK 47's in EoD have bayonets on their model but you cant use em.

Anyways could it be that when you attach the bayonet the holding of the gun changes like 45 degrees to the left or right, just like the bayonets in PR, just a suggestion to remember ppl that they have it attached when it looks like that...

Whats the reason the engineer and the recon just have knives btw? Not Bayonets like the rifleman
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18-05-2009, 04:05:05 »
If it's only positive for the rifleman why do we rarely see them attached?

Well, the only ones you see it as a positive is the mosin, and if you look, in combat, its very often attached.

Also, the bayonet extends the length of the gun and changes the balence, making it more awkward to carry and maneuver, especially in the trenches, foxholes, and city combat of WW1 and WW2

Offline Hockeywarrior

• One of the superior 5-digit numbers
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18-05-2009, 04:05:01 »
If it's only positive for the rifleman why do we rarely see them attached?
And besides, it's kind of risky walking around with a long rifle with a big knife stuck on the end. Lots of accidents are liable to occur. On top of that, it makes it heavier and that much more difficult to handle like Mudra said.

Check out my Red Orchestra, FH2, and shooting videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQK9lbdAEi9mAM5iGfHoeyA

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18-05-2009, 16:05:43 »
Hm, Ajappat has a point there, bayonets are attached on that insurgent gun in PR. But then again the Brittish in PR don't have it attached. I know the Vietcong AK 47's in EoD have bayonets on their model but you cant use em.

Anyways could it be that when you attach the bayonet the holding of the gun changes like 45 degrees to the left or right, just like the bayonets in PR, just a suggestion to remember ppl that they have it attached when it looks like that...

Whats the reason the engineer and the recon just have knives btw? Not Bayonets like the rifleman

Does that mean, that in PR the bayonet is allways attached and switching between "shooting mode" and "stabby mode" is shown by rotating the gun? I haven't played PR so correct me, if I'm wrong.
In any case I suggest to allways fix the bayonet on bolt action rifles, so switching between the two modes doesn't require a lenghty animation, just a quick twist of the gun. It would make the bayonet way more useful and not just something you use only for the funny kill message because cycling the bolt goes faster then attaching the bayonet. This could be especially usefull in the Normandy theatre, where the Americans have superior firepower.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #19 on: 18-05-2009, 17:05:57 »
The bayonet is already very useful, it's very long range is balanced by long deployment.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Niam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18-05-2009, 18:05:28 »
I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's confined to very special cases, like when you're going to enter a building and expect enemies in there. My main problem is, that the current system just doesn't feel authentic. Suppose two riflemen meet and miss both shoots, now they start to run around each other, cycling the bolt or attaching the bayonet, and look very stupid. Thats not what you are expecting they would do, normally they would charge and try to stab or club the other guy. It's even worse, if one of them has a smg, the rifleman runs around even wilder, trying to dodge the bullets until he gets his weapon ready to attack again.
Therefore by shortening the time to switch to "stabby mode" you get a more authentic, natural and smooth gameplay.

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #21 on: 18-05-2009, 18:05:24 »
Hmmm just got a new idea how we could deal with that bajonett problem.

Should work like this : Bajonett is on the rifle all the time. To use it you select it and instead of the mounting animation you got now you could instantly switch to the bajonett with no delay ( just use the same model for the bajonett as for the rifle with the knife attached on it) and you can stab someone. If you select your rifle again you would switch back to the weapon with no delay beeing able to shoot again.

Hope you guys understand the way i mean it.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18-05-2009, 18:05:17 »
That would be a solution, but as was said above, the bayonet only came on when the soldiers were about to charge a position. Having it on all the time messes up your shooting and is dangerous.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18-05-2009, 19:05:50 »
I wouldn't say it's useless, but it's confined to very special cases, like when you're going to enter a building and expect enemies in there. My main problem is, that the current system just doesn't feel authentic. Suppose two riflemen meet and miss both shoots, now they start to run around each other, cycling the bolt or attaching the bayonet, and look very stupid. Thats not what you are expecting they would do, normally they would charge and try to stab or club the other guy. It's even worse, if one of them has a smg, the rifleman runs around even wilder, trying to dodge the bullets until he gets his weapon ready to attack again.
Therefore by shortening the time to switch to "stabby mode" you get a more authentic, natural and smooth gameplay.
I use it way more often, I like to charge with the bayonet and just stab around me, it gives way more statisfaction then just shoot them.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18-05-2009, 19:05:08 »
What if bayonets would work like this? No bayonet: Shoot normally or Attach bayonet. Bayonet attached: Shoot less accurately but swich to bayonet fast like in PR and if you want bayonet off, just select it again, while its already selected.

I hope you understand, I'm not too good in english  :-[
« Last Edit: 18-05-2009, 19:05:27 by ajappat »

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #25 on: 18-05-2009, 19:05:58 »
And if you make it random for the riflemen class ? Some with already attached ones and some w/o that work the way they do now ?

Offline Miklas

• Ingame: Calle_XVI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:47 »
Continuing on ajappat's idea: What if you had three selectable rifle "modes" instead of todays two (normal or bayonet).

The first mode could be normal with no bayonet and good accuracy (as it is now).
The second could be rifle with bayonet attached but less accurate shooting.
The third mode is normal bayonet mode and you can't shoot in this mode.
The point is that the second mode would enable you to swith to the third mode instantly because you alredy got the bayonet attached, whereas going from first to either second or third would mean you have the long attach-bayonet-animation.

By "modes" I mean pressing the number buttons (ex: 1,2,3) for respective mode like you do when you switch between weapons.

I think this would be a smooth idea. You could select mode 2 if you were getting close to a location where you'd expect to get into melee combat but still want to be able to shoot to some extent.
The only problem as I see it is that there might not be enough "weapons slots" to accomodate three rifles, granades, bandages etc etc.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:27 »
Now just if someone could tell, is mine or miklas's idea even possible to do on bf2 engine  :-\ . Usually answer to all good ideas is: "Not possible on bf2 engine"  :'(

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:42 »
I think you guys are making it really confusing and strange.

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18-05-2009, 20:05:59 »
What is you problem with the bayonets?  ::)
They are good enough, it doesn't count wether you have to take out your knife first or stab the bayonet. It is fair like it is now, and i wouldn't understand why it should be changed.