Author Topic: "Airstrikes"  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: "Airstrikes"
« Reply #15 on: 15-02-2010, 19:02:43 »
A bombing run with a few Mustangs flying by and dropping a load of 500kb bombs would look much better than commander arty.

but no one is playing them!  :-\

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15-02-2010, 20:02:39 »
Is Natty the new dreamcrusher in the suggestions forum? ;D

Well, I always liked the idea of airstrikes, never played Fh1, but what people are saying about airstrikes sounds good. I researched about about such "airstrikes" on the bf2 engine, and like stated before they are very limited, either you call them via UAV, get only one possible model, or you have them flying around the map (like the C-47s on PdH) and dropping bombs. I don't know if there is any possible way, but I would definately like it to see airstrikes.
Perhaps it can be coded that a planes flies over the map and then it passes a specific point a bomb appears, like Corvax said.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15-02-2010, 20:02:32 »
ok, I play along:

let's say this plane was added on say, Totalize. In what way would the map be more fun if this plane passed over and dropped a bomb somewhere (killing both enemies and basically TK:ing any friendlies that are there)?

I mean, what more than a slight chance of getting killed at any time, at any place, would it bring to players?

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-02-2010, 20:02:48 »
For me it's the feeling it adds, on Totalize are player controlled planes already, and if the FW appears I try to run away, because I know it rushes me down. Sure, I got tked and probably lost a tank or something, but I still have a nice feeling about it, because it suddenly appeared and killed me, and if I see that from the distance it's even better.
They don't need to be on every map, but on maps that fit them, those that are too small for player controlled ones and had airstrikes in real.
And yes, it would probably add more fun, because you can maybe shoot it down, you can see it passing by and it gets the real war look.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #19 on: 15-02-2010, 20:02:37 »
ok, I play along:let's say this plane was added on say, Totalize. In what way would the map be more fun if this plane passed over and dropped a bomb somewhere (killing both enemies and basically TK:ing any friendlies that are there)?

I mean, what more than a slight chance of getting killed at any time, at any place, would it bring to players?
This kind of event would only be acceptable if there was a trigger.  Like say for example, a flag gets capped by the axis.  At that point, a thunderbolt flys towards it and drops a bomb there.  A predictable event that can be avoided if smart, but also can come out of the blue.

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #20 on: 15-02-2010, 21:02:15 »
Yeh those are wuite nice uses.

But actually, i only thought about replacing the commander arty with an airstrike animation. No shells popping out of nowhere, but a small fighterbomber wing flying in and dropping bombs. Natty, the commander would trigger them, just like the arty. It would only look different. That way they maybe could even be intercepted, so that figher pilots could counter bombing runs on tanks or flags. Would be pretty cool :D

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-02-2010, 23:02:00 »
Using the binocs to to fly a plane over a known hardpoint or a large spotted force of enemy troops is real to ww2 - You can't really stop it, can you? Unless you shoot them down like the C47s in PDH OR and this is a little cake specific to FH2, not real WW2, you find the bastard guiding them and snipe em before he finds his target and releases the bombs... kinda like finding the commander and killing em

So it amounts to the same as commander arty, but way cooler: You can A, kill the guy, or B, kill the commander asset, here the planes

Now, there is also the fly-able planes I spoke of that float in the air until spawned in. You can fly em around, strafe ground targets. Depending on the plane, drop bombs - But you don't get refills.

I really don't think this is half bad an idea, as you say, natty

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16-02-2010, 08:02:17 »

But actually, i only thought about replacing the commander arty with an airstrike animation. No shells popping out of nowhere, but a small fighterbomber wing flying in and dropping bombs. Natty, the commander would trigger them, just like the arty. It would only look different. That way they maybe could even be intercepted, so that figher pilots could counter bombing runs on tanks or flags. Would be pretty cool :D

yepp, that is a lot better ofcourse  :) even better than current commander arty, which IMO is a too much one-way communication as it is.

The first suggested auto-planes would be horrible... let me give you a scenario:
-You're on Totalize, just about to capture for example communications HQ, you're a lone canadian tanker, you get there and wipe out an axis squad, tank is almost done, and you manage to kill off every axis there, except a greying inf in the house - BOOOM the allied auto-plane comes and bombs you to smitherens.... /ragequit + forum-flame

-You're on Totalize, same canadian tanker. but this time you're getting severly pwned by an axis tanker, he has killed you three times from an evil defense position... you go "ok im gonna spend some time circling around him and get him from behind". You drive and drive, after a while you get a good shot at him from the rear FINALLY, you think, and is about to launch a shell in his rear BOOM! he dies from the auto-plane!! grRRrrRRR, you continue playing, and 1min later he kills you again with a new tank.
/rage-quit.

Offline Kurb King

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17-02-2010, 19:02:37 »
If player controlled airstrikes worked like they did in FH1 I would have no problem with it.  The player spots the target, the planes spawn behind the player and take a little while to fly to the target area.  Maybe the player would be able to move the planes left and right a little and control when the bombs drop.  It was not like the spotter was calling the hand of God down to destroy the enemy, the other team can see and hear the planes coming and still destroy these planes, a lot like the C47s and P51 on PDH right now.

I do not recall anyone complaining about the bomber kits in FH1 and I think they would be nice on smaller maps where you can not have player controlled planes.

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #24 on: 17-02-2010, 23:02:12 »
Hoho guess you never witnessed the havoc i wrecked with that Kit. It was THE tank p0wnzoring tool on Sector 318 :D

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-02-2010, 00:02:49 »
war is hell, why shouldnt it be here aswell :D

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-02-2010, 08:02:56 »
war is hell, why shouldnt it be here aswell :D

because this is a game, and games should not be hell, they should be fun  8)

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18-02-2010, 10:02:17 »
This is very good idea and in want it.

About that no one is controlling them, if you are taking that line you could right away take away those flyovers from PDH and PHL.  :P

Offline Orunes

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18-02-2010, 16:02:14 »
This is very good idea and in want it.

About that no one is controlling them, if you are taking that line you could right away take away those flyovers from PDH and PHL.  :P
All TY for your support!!!!
@rune$

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20-02-2010, 19:02:33 »
Yes, please air limited spaxnable-drivable planes like tarawa's as well as kits to bring in airstrike like pdh-fh1 and Road to Ramelle's

Can't see why anyone would hate what can be destroyed and is clearly player-participatory