Author Topic: map grids  (Read 6274 times)

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: map grids
« Reply #30 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:23 »
i dont want all this lines on my Minimap. if there is a enemy in fornt of me i warn my mates direct. everybody should know the maps. I know every map perfect all my mates know in the first moment where i mean. and if i say there is a enemy inside the fish and chips shop they all know what i mean. :p

on the otherhand could this system work good for randoms....

If you want people to learn all the maps, you should release a public beta, so everyone is on the same page with you :P Frankly, I can't name every static in the game in a fashion that everyone understands, and i have played it since the release. Not everyone is fluent in english, they might need a second or 2.

Of course you can just implement the compass from PR (with 360 marked on it degrees), but I feel the grid system fits the mod better.

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31-03-2009, 23:03:39 »
Maybe you could make the minimap type an option, with one with keypad lines, one with a normal grid, and one with just the numbers from the grid for you grid-haters out there.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01-04-2009, 00:04:20 »
If the only criticism is that "I don't want all those lines on my minimap", it seems to me to be an awesome idea so far. It aids teamwork, which is hugely important, and shouldn't reduce the functionality of the minimap either. It's a simple matter of functionality and teamwork over aesthetics.

The problem I can see here is that there might be conflicting ideas of where the numbers are located (that already happened in this thread).
First of all, I strongly believe a consensus would develop, and secondly, nothing is keeping you from filling in the blocks with numbers in one of the grid spaces, preferably in an obscure part of the map, as shown below:

Pretty much every map has an 'obscure' area that could contain this 'legend box'.

Maybe you could make the minimap type an option, with one with keypad lines, one with a normal grid, and one with just the numbers from the grid for you grid-haters out there.
Disagree. A teamwork/communication tool needs to be consistent, or it loses much of its usefulness. Imagine this conversation:

Commander: Squad 3 and 4, I'm rallying you to defend the West Outpost. I'm gonna need Squad 3 there and Squad 4 to set up an ambush position at Charlie 3-4. Watch for enemy tank interdiction flights in the area around Bravo 3.

Squad 3 SL: Roger.

Squad 4 SL: What?

Commander: I said, I need you to head over to... Charlie 3-4 to ambush an expected enemy thrust. You also need to watch for dive bomb--

Squad 4 SL: Where's Bravo 3, my map doesn't say?

Commander:Oh, damn. Eh... OK... {thinking pause} if you open your map, there's a ravine south of the West Outpost. To its right there's a road...

Of course you can just implement the compass from PR (with 360 marked on it degrees), but I feel the grid system fits the mod better.
Better yet, implement both.
« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 00:04:01 by Safe-Keeper »

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01-04-2009, 07:04:50 »
I don't think we need extra lines on the whole map.  Maybe just one of the grids (say A1 or a grid that's unlikely to see combat) has the extra lines along with the labels.  From that, reasonably intelligent people could juxtapose the extra grid and labels on the main grid in their heads and call out what they needed.  That's what happens now.

There's just a bit of confusion.  Example:

Would be nice....I use this style of enemy reports all the time with the 130th/WaW guys.   In a perfect spot a sherman in the NE part of B-4 zipping south would go over TS/Venty as such "Enemy Sherman in Bruno 4..9 heading south!"  I will say however in the heat of battle most the time I just use the current flag we are at and the enemy position in relation to said flag.  Such as "Enemy sherman North east of flag!"

I've heard the letters called several different things.  Like Bravo (what I use), Beta, and Bruno (Bruno only from Lainer).  Also, there's the confusion of if it's a phone pad or keyboard key pad.  Luckily, "Bravo 3, Keypad 5" means the same either way.

Tangent:  Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Gulf/Golf, Hotel.  I don't know how you can use Greek letters (Alpha, Beta...?  Gamma?  As far I know there is no Greek "C" and using Gamma will cause confusion between "C" and "G").  And Names?  I don't even want to know how you can go thru a list of names in the heat of battle ("Hmm, should I pick Candice, Chris, or Claude...  Oh damn, I just got my arm blown off by a grenade..."  Plus, the easiest ones to remember would ones that you can see.  Like the default names of the squads, perhaps...

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #34 on: 01-04-2009, 07:04:45 »
I just say "B4", "A6" etc, while using squad VOIP at least, most people understand right away, SQUAD MOVEMENT MARKERS are a good thing here :P Commanders and SLs should use them more, especially since you can use the ComRose to just point where you want them to go, and hit move/attack, voila, instant marker, Brothers in Arms style, I love it :P
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Karl Hungus

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Company
« Reply #35 on: 01-04-2009, 16:04:58 »
Tangent:  Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Gulf/Golf, Hotel.  I don't know how you can use Greek letters (Alpha, Beta...?  Gamma?  As far I know there is no Greek "C" and using Gamma will cause confusion between "C" and "G").  And Names?  I don't even want to know how you can go thru a list of names in the heat of battle ("Hmm, should I pick Candice, Chris, or Claude...  Oh damn, I just got my arm blown off by a grenade..."  Plus, the easiest ones to remember would ones that you can see.  Like the default names of the squads, perhaps...

Or you could use the WWII period correct Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, etc. Don't know if the Commonwealth nations used the same phonetics. No idea what the Russians, Germans, Japaneese used.

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 01-04-2009, 17:04:02 »
Doesn't really matter, does it? Just say B, Bravo, Baker, or whatever, what's important is that the message comes across. And that the code somehow involves the number 9, 'cause then you can say 'niner'. Hollywood loves that, it seems :P .

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01-04-2009, 20:04:40 »
Doesnt this can be done by a Mapper? When doing to Minimap.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01-04-2009, 22:04:29 »
Doesnt this can be done by a Mapper? When doing to Minimap.
The minimap looks? Yeah, they could make it look whatever they want. A mapper could even add in a handdrawn map or nothing at all if they felt like it. Infact for a long time during internal testing of FH 2.0 the Supercharge used a hand drawn map (WIP) for a long time. But for various reasons (the WIP minimap wasn't finished, no other minimaps were ever finished)  the BF2 style minimap was introduced again. 

But I'd expect all the maps in FH2 to have the same layout style for consistency. So it would be either all or no map at all with a sub grid or any other "tweaked" minimap.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08-04-2009, 07:04:12 »
i think adding this system to the game, allso adds realism, as real maps most likely have the pattern system thing, i have a ww2 map overlooking en area in norway.. and maybe allso make the command map and the CO map look like old maps of the map, instead of the "screenshot from above"