Author Topic: map grids  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: map grids
« Reply #15 on: 31-03-2009, 15:03:07 »
Well I assume we all have a numpad on our keyboard (except maybe a few laptop gamers with small keyboards), so a keypad layout would be expected. Even thhough the phone key layout makes more sense (going from top to bottom and left to right, just as the map grid starts in the top left).

Hmm, actually, I suppose that it would make more sense if it followed the same structure of the main/parent grid and start in the top left. Aye.

An other thought that just came to mind (again) was to remove the "auto tracker" on spotted enemies where they light up and you can see there position being updated (ea: they are tracked). It would be nice if it would only indicate their position at the time  of spotting together with their heading (should be possible not? Since the game can show were people are looking?).

konti

« Reply #16 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:46 »
It would be nice if it would only indicate their position at the time  of spotting together with their heading

Don't know if I mixed things up, but this is possible and is already implemented, right? This kind of spotting is performed when you use the binocs, right-click the spot button and choose a spotted enemy.
With the automatic-spot (left-click on spot button with binocs) the enemy is being tracked.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:10 »
It would be nice if it would only indicate their position at the time  of spotting together with their heading

Don't know if I mixed things up, but this is possible and is already implemented, right? This kind of spotting is performed when you use the binocs, right-click the spot button and choose a spotted enemy.
With the automatic-spot (left-click on spot button with binocs) the enemy is being tracked.
Not sure, so far I only saw the "auto track", just recently again paying normandy maps. I absolutely disguist it. It should be removed from the game IMO. together with a more detailed minimap grid it shouldn't be needed anymore anyway.

It's an arcady modern warfare feature IMO. The position and heading (only) would be a much more realistic method of spotting.

konti

« Reply #18 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:41 »
But why? Imagine your in contact with the spotting personell. It would be easy to tell where the foe is moving to. And according to realistics, there has to be a radio connection between the spotter and those who recieve the targets. Otherwise the whole spotting-system can be considered as unrealistic.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31-03-2009, 16:03:40 »
It's just way too detailed. No way you could radio in the exact position and let them know about every step and side step the enemy makes, or even tracking him when he goes beyond your actual side. It's not just live tracking, it's GPS/computer style tracking in my view. It just feels to modern or futuristic even and therefor doesn't fit into WW2 gameplay.

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31-03-2009, 18:03:00 »
I dont like and i dont need it. imo the Grid we have right now is too much. ( personal Opinon)

Offline Kradovech

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31-03-2009, 20:03:42 »
I dont like and i dont need it. imo the Grid we have right now is too much. ( personal Opinon)

Can you explain what you mean a bit more please?

I personally see no reason why it should not be put in. It makes the communication in between the team easier, thus it provides better teamwork, thus it provides more realistic gameplay. (In reality the troops were not working all by themselves, obviously)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #22 on: 31-03-2009, 20:03:40 »
From experience I think we need it alot. I remember many Ventrillo chats about it.
"Hes in West Village"
"What building?"
"The left one."
"East or West?"
"What? No the one with the mortar!"
Meanwhile the enemy guy got away pretty fast I guess.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31-03-2009, 20:03:13 »
The problem I can see here is that there might be conflicting ideas of where the numbers are located (that already happened in this thread).

Using the keyboard keypad would make more sense. Most people have it, and you can just look down if you should need a reference(opposed to having to find a phone).

Also, it's a bit hard to see in this pic, but if you look at the A1 grid on the screenshot I posted you'll see that the keypad numbers are printed on the map itself, to make things easier.

« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 00:04:28 by Zrix »

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:56 »
i dont want all this lines on my Minimap. if there is a enemy in fornt of me i warn my mates direct. everybody should know the maps. I know every map perfect all my mates know in the first moment where i mean. and if i say there is a enemy inside the fish and chips shop they all know what i mean. :p

on the otherhand could this system work good for randoms....

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:35 »
Look at the PR screenshot, they are thin grey lines. I barely notice them.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:58 »
Put the bloody compass in and problem solved. Yes, the one from PR.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:01 »
I'm with Toddel on this one. I don't like how it looks at all - besides, can't you already use this keypad system? You don't need an extra grid to be able to tell where the guy is on the map.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #28 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:33 »
If we would one day get those hand drawn maps the could be more militairy style wihich use a much more accurate grid for positioning (though only on the side lines: you have a main grid and various "rulers" on the side).

Or a combination of both these "rulers" on the side and a subgrid.
I think that this is the best way to go.  It combines the accurate positioning system, with some more believable maps.  The minimaps in the EoD2 mod are of the 'hand drawn' type, and I quite like them.  The real soldiers didn't have super high resolution colour aerial photographs, so neither should we.  And if they are drawn properly and consistently, they should be just as good.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31-03-2009, 21:03:51 »
Yes! They certainly rock in EoD2. Thats a bit more realism. But problem in EoD2 was that some maps didn't told you where actually walking. Like if you where on the road it told you, you where on grass. Those things.