Author Topic: Infantry; Squad roles  (Read 7393 times)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
Re: Infantry; Squad roles
« Reply #15 on: 31-03-2009, 07:03:20 »
Your main grief is about 'squadbombing' a terrible word in my eyes but ok, what would prevent a guy from hiding a Rally point behind a rock and have people spawn there like hell.
Oh yeah it frees up the SL to go into the action... but hey he can do that at the moment as well. I for one play as a active SL and only if my entire team has been killed will I try to save my hide as long as possible... I mean it's really up to the SL to decide and trust me with Normandy you will HATE the idea of Rally Points. An RP sits happily in a thick field and won't be bothered by the 0 visibility as a SL would and you will NEVER find an RP in a field, no chance.

Long sentence short. RPs might work in PR but in the slaughterfest that is WW2 they will ruin gameplay.

Now the idea with spawn waves appeals to me in some way, but it would have to be not more than a minute otherwise we'd be back with PRs "I get punished for playing" philosophy. True that it works there, but in PR each team has only one tank and it is well PR.

I'll just repeat it again, wait for Normandy and then start suggesting stuff again, so much will change. *dreamsofplayingonPointeduHocwith64peopleallthetime*  :-[ *pattshisMG42*
« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 08:03:12 by N24Reporter »
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline The Crimson Major

• I'm an Armchair General!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31-03-2009, 07:03:48 »
I actually wouldn't mind reverting to the old FH 0.7 system except I think attack/defend maps would become very one sided very quickly. Perhaps a rally system wouldn't be bad?
sig.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31-03-2009, 11:03:54 »
I also don´t think that RPs would work in FH2. FH2 has a much more faster gameplay than PR where you often walk through big maps and won´t see an enemy. FH2 instead has more action (just like the old FH did) and troops enter combat more often and faster. I must admit from time to time I like the PR gameplay. It might be the little boy in me who likes sneaking through big forrests etc. :D
My suggestion would be to entirely remove the SL spawn points. Make it more 0.7ish where you were often able to find convoys. I mean, it worked in FH1, why not in FH2? Or do the FH-devs want to appeal the BF2-vanilla games more?
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31-03-2009, 12:03:56 »
I would hope that we keep the squad leader spawn points, because regardless of their reality they are crucial to getting into combat quickly. One of my biggest complaints of the old Battlefields was that once I died, I had a long trek back to the front-line, BF2 fixed this issue with the squad leaders, and I am rightfully grateful as such.

Removing them in my opinion, is a bad idea, especially since...after playing PR, I never want the squad leader spawn system to be eliminated...its things like that which make PR a snore fest, and an absolute upset when you die.

konti

« Reply #19 on: 31-03-2009, 12:03:33 »
I don't know if removing the SL spawn will make FH2 a better mod. Maybe spawning on SL should be only possible if the SL is sitting in a vehicle?! Dunno, but the SL spawn is ok for me so far...

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #20 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:36 »
one idea that sprung up in the endless discussion of SL's spawnpoint, was to limit it to number of players around the squad leader.. Meaning if the squad leader is alone, nobody can spawn on him, but if 2 friendly players are within.. say 20 meter radius of him, the squad leaders spawn point becomes active again..

This eliminate sneaky squad leaders from multiplying into a full squad behind enemy lines, or "squadspawnbombs"..
and yet keeps the spawn on squad leader ingame..

on the other hand, I have no idea if this is possible :P
I might bring this up again the private forums..
« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 13:03:13 by FatJoe »

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:31 »
one idea that sprung up in the endless discussion of SL's spawnpoint, was to limit it to number of players around the squad leader.. Meaning if the squad leader is alone, nobody can spawn on him, but if 2 friendly players are within.. say 20 meter radius of him, the squad leaders spawn point becomes active again..

I doubt it's possible, but if it would, that would be great.

Offline DesertRat40-45

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:02 »
Well if that is possible it would work on same pricipes as in PR. And still, it would be nice with rally point. If one assault fails, than squad can regroup and make another one, with acess to diffrent kits like sniper, MG deploy able etc. Than capture points could have different radius, where you cannot set the rally point
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #23 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:48 »
I doubt it's possible, but if it would, that would be great.

Well, I know PR does have "check area around squad leader for squad members to build designated item" code so atleast that seems possible.. but to link it to all friendly players, and to deactiveate/activate squad leaders spawn, I have no clue.. If it is possible, ctz will find the way :D

The big question is, do the devs want him to :P

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31-03-2009, 13:03:57 »
Yeah, it would be nice to have a more or less official Dev statement on that issue.
Personally I didn´t find the time you needed in FH1 to reach the combat too long. You always had a way to get picked up or to move there easily. Also, with the upcoming Normandy patch we´ll see much more close-quarter combat (that´s what I hope).
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 31-03-2009, 15:03:27 »

This eliminate sneaky squad leaders from multiplying into a full squad behind enemy lines, or "squadspawnbombs"..
and yet keeps the spawn on squad leader ingame..

on the other hand, I have no idea if this is possible :P
I might bring this up again the private forums..
Aye support this idea.  It pretty much renders a lone SL useless thus not only forcing squad members to stick to the SL but the SL to also stick to his man. They really need to stick together.

The only "downside" is that of everybody except the SL is killed the squad becomes splitup since his team has to spawn at a flag now. People may spawn at different flags, spawn at different intervals and thus it may take some more time to reorganize. Which is a god thing for the enemy and perhaps slightly more realistic but it might have a small risk of seeing squads sticking together less once whiped out. Still, it's worth trying out to see how this would affect gameplay.

If it would increase the risk of disorganisation on nearly wiped out squads, a small aleration might work:  To enable spawning on SL check to see if there are atleast X team mates within a small Y radius. This should also stop lone wold spawning and replicate backup of an assault force (regardless wether that force is made up of one or more squads).

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 31-03-2009, 18:03:35 »
Which Issue? we have no SL-Spawn Issue. We are experimenting with different Ways to spawn, but we still havnt find something we like so much that we would add it to the Mod. Lets see what the Future brings. i could imagine some BF:V like deployable Spaws very well. or Moving ones like the Lcvt we had in FH1. but that depends on the map.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #27 on: 31-03-2009, 19:03:38 »
Maybe you could have a whole team rally point.  A squad leader with at least 2 other SM in his squad requests to place the spawn point, and the commander either accepts or denies it.  Limit it to one placement per 10 mins, only one at a time and don't allow the commander to place it on their own.  The object could be something similar to the firebases in PR - say something like a field radio, some ammo boxes and a medical kit (with the latter 2 giving their respective effects).  You can't spawn at them when the enemy is close, and a single grenade/knife to the radio distroys them.  Obviously only available on the larger maps.

And spawn points in APCs might be nice.

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #28 on: 01-04-2009, 03:04:22 »
It would make more sense if at specific supply route esque designated flags, at the flag or near by boxes/ammo dump/comander radio, where you 'could' request stuff, but definately no rally point requests :P
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01-04-2009, 07:04:16 »
While we are at it let us designate six people[one squad] as logistics guys. These people all have a special kit containing a clip board and a radio and they have to stay in a certain radius at the flags so that Ammo for arty spawns, vehicles spawn, people spawn, and other things spawn. Then we need the SL to be a foreman who has to check on the Logistics guys every say thirty seconds or the counter to spawn stuff gets restarted =).  Then we need at least three guys designated as cooks so the soldiers don't get hungry, we could represent this as for every ten minutes without being in the radius of a cook you loose 15% health. We are also missing the MPs. The MPs can go around and Tk people, but only if their SL or the Commander designates the person as insubordinate.

The point of all that sarcasm was there is a point where realism becomes unfun. In my opinion and this is just my opinion the Rally Point thing PR has is fine, people seem to enjoy that, I don't. I believe it is a silly system making things needlessly complicated. If I wanted things to be realistic I would shell out the dough for RO. I believe how FH2 has it now is a nice balance between Realism and Arcade.

« Last Edit: 01-04-2009, 07:04:19 by Kildar »