Author Topic: Discussion bout (future) Eastfront  (Read 35339 times)

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion bout (future) Eastfront
« Reply #75 on: 26-03-2010, 03:03:54 »
... which leads to what I want to see on the Eastern front : 1 vs 2 (or 3 :P) scenarios ! I don't believe that has already been done before ... Why is that ?

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 26-03-2010, 05:03:32 »
What I REALLY want, more than a maus, ratte, monster, or even maybe a flying american helicopter jeep would have to be this

The NKL-26 was an armoured aerosan introduced by the Soviet Union during the Second World War, based on the earlier NKL-6 (OSGA-6). It was made of plywood and had a ten-millimetre armour plate on the front only, and was armed with a 7.62mm DT machine gun in a ring mount. It was powered by an M-11G aircraft engine.

Each NKL-26 was operated by two crewmen. NKL-26s were organized into battalions of 30 NKL-16s with a transport company of NKL-16s - each with three companies of 10. Each company was organized as three platoons of three vehicles, and a commanders vehicle.

Combat Aerosans often worked with ski infantry battalions, and could carry four ski troops riding outside the vehicle on its skis or towed behind.

talk about batshit crazy sweet
« Last Edit: 26-03-2010, 05:03:10 by :| Hi »

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 26-03-2010, 09:03:48 »
I'm sure it will see its time in court war. It was already modeled and used in ?Solesnogorsk and The storm maps in FH1... What I would like to see are them huge guns with tracks that the FHSW devs put in 'A day of Zitadelle' had a monster of a sound effect, a rumbling reload sound and fired alongside 2 others of its type...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 26-03-2010, 12:03:56 »
What I REALLY want, more than a flying American helicopter jeep would have to be this

Honestly who the HELL would rather have a stupid ski machine that would chop off heads one by one that this The MOST AWESOMENESSEST VEHICLE EVER????

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 26-03-2010, 12:03:34 »
This is a eastern front thread..

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 26-03-2010, 12:03:02 »
Who cares... that thing pwns all :-)

jk... Ok, you've had your fun, now back OT, boys
« Last Edit: 26-03-2010, 12:03:56 by djinn »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 26-03-2010, 12:03:27 »
What I REALLY want, more than a maus, ratte, monster, or even maybe a flying american helicopter jeep would have to be this

Actually I like THIS model better. ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 26-03-2010, 13:03:01 »
With flying characteristics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UfXOBkHIA
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 26-03-2010, 13:03:44 »
Nothing too out of ordinary you could expect from such war. But first of all the "basic" map idea would be set into the scenes of Taipale-Terenttilä region (having the russians cross the river and open fields with human waves) and you could all relate to your favorite Winter War movie. Basic finns sitting in trenches and russians throwing everything they have against them. Simple idea, difficult to get the russians running headlessly towards certain doom. Oh well, that happened in FinnWars too, I guess we could have it in FH2 aswell.
This.

Ideas: have the Soviet initial uncap spawn be in OOB area, with a "time to punish" timer set so that one has just enough time to run away from it towards the Finnish trenches - once they are out of OOB, they are out in the open (on the icy river or at least the opposite riverbank) so they pretty much have to run towards Finnish positions in order to survive. Having a few "dummy spawns" in shell craters on the Finnish riverbank would give more incentive to charge forth -- however, the same craters would also be OOB, preventing taking shelter in those. Give the Soviets 3+ arty pieces but only a couple of T-26's and OT-130/133's - if at all. The Finns should have at least 1-2 artillery pieces as well, but would mostly rely on MGs (and maybe L-39's or AT guns, if Soviets have tanks) for support.

Second idea is to have the famous battle of Raate road with a twist. Russians are stuck in the middle of the thick forests on a very narrow road that twists and turns like a snake. Finns can maneuver within the forest and attack the russians from any direction.  Whats the objective? Yes, theres an objective! Finns would have to destroy specific types of tanks in order to win. Imagine for example a T-26 which is either bogged down into snow, it has frozen over  or its just stuck in the middle of other junk along the road... now, the turret is still in working conditions and it can still defend itself, but it cant run away from finnish infantry getting too close. So the russians have to protect these tanks, because if the finns manage to destroy them, then the finns will win. On other side of the map is another russian division who has working tanks and they try to race through the forest on that very same narrow road in order to provide much required defense against the white bandits who lurk in the snowy forest. Road would basically have several of these objective designed tanks sitting apart from each other so the russians have to divide the defense along the whole stretch.
Good idea, but *cough*Hyacinth 32*cough*. Won't work at all if the Finns have access to L-39's ;D Could work if the players really put an effort to prevent "suicide bombers" getting within Molotov coktail distance (one has to remember that this being a game, players WILL do stunts even Finns would not do IRL). Also, to keep the relief force on the road, most of the surrounding terrain should be OOB for the Soviets and/or so filled with obstacles (rocks, trees, tree stumps) that tanks & trucks simply couldn't advance off-road (but that wouldn't deter the infantry, where OOB would come in handy).

I think that despite the relative obscurity of Winter War, these two scenarios would attract interest also outside Finland and Russia, because the gameplay in them would be unlike in any other FH2 maps. Yes, there are "combined arms assaults" in the game, but not "human wave assaults" (not at least until Stalingrad where Rifleman kit would be a limited choice and "knife only" kit would be the standard). Yes, there is at least one objective map (which is never played anymore), but not a single "a pocket and a relief force" map.

About the other suggestions, Westerplatte looks very promising because it took place in a very limited area so it could be modeled 1:1. Of course, it would require the Polish models, which would mean that the Invasion of Poland (from both sides) could then be included as well.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 26-03-2010, 13:03:14 »
Only a couple of L-39 prototypes were used during Winter War. So there would be no problems regarding L-39 in Raate. And yeah, OOB would be used to keep the reds near their objectives and not venture too deep into the forest.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 26-03-2010, 14:03:52 »
I don't need anything but the PPsH-41 for me to pwwwwnnnnn all

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 26-03-2010, 17:03:24 »
"With eastfront we mean USSR vs Nazi germany or Finland vs USSR"

Hmm, who's we;)
In my opinion calling the Finland-USSR war part of the eastern front isn't really correct. Or, well, not for me at least. I get that it's referred to in this way in reference to the specific theatre and previous FH1 maps, but it's a seperate conflict that happened to take place at the same time when Germany was fighting Russia as well. The motivations of that war were completely different than the German-USSR war.

It's called The Eastern Front because it was east of the Third Reich and it only makes sense if there is a western/other front. Otherwise it would just be The Front. It refers to where the germans where fighting. The germans weren't fighting in Finland and Finland wasn't part of the Axis forces.

I'll admit the part of Finland where the fighting took place is the eastern part of Finland but to call it part of the Eastern Front really doesn't make sense. I know, it's semantics, but seeing the utter historical and hardware related nerdiness on these boards I think we should make clear distinctions.

It's the same with the invasion of Poland basically: It's not part of the Eastern Front because at that time the fighting in Poland was basically the whole war. Hence my point of starting the Eastern Front side of FH2 with Barbarossa.

But this distinction doesn't mean that I don't like to see Polish and Finnish maps ofcourse. And Westerplatte does seem like a really cool idea.  ;)

FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #87 on: 26-03-2010, 17:03:24 »
It's called The Eastern Front because it was east of the Third Reich and it only makes sense if there is a western/other front. Otherwise it would just be The Front. It refers to where the germans where fighting. The germans weren't fighting in Finland and Finland wasn't part of the Axis forces.
Lol, of course the Germans fought in Finland.  How could the Finns fight a war with no one in particular?  Maybe not in the Winter War, but the Germans were there for the Continuation and Lapland Wars.

Its called the Eastern Front because thats basicly where it was.  In the east (and also where the eastern front of the Great War happened too).

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 26-03-2010, 17:03:12 »
Finland was as much of eastern front as any other part of it since both finns and germans attacked across finnish-ussr borders when Operation Barbarossa commenced.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 26-03-2010, 18:03:51 »
With eastfront we mean USSR vs Nazi germany or Finland vs USSR
What about Italy, Hungary and Romania? (To mention a few)