Author Topic: Battlefield 4 announced  (Read 8595 times)

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 4 announced
« Reply #30 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:12 »
I would love a WWII themed Battlefield running on FB2. But they aren't going to make one, and I am actually kinda glad. Why? Because I can't imagine any kind of progression system, that would give you access to new weapons as you rank up... I mean, WWII was a heavily themed conflict and not just when it came to theaters but even the nations themselves. For every map you would have a different set of weapons - just like it is in FH2 (now I realize there could be many more kits if it was possible per map in FH2 but still, there's a limit). Say, there would be ETO and PTO - they would need to restrict what weapons you can actually use in different scenarios (maps) so that the game wouldn't look hilarious. Or they could focus on just one theater of operations... But then there are "weapon unlocks" - well, there weren't any in WWII. No flashlights, no lasers, no scopes... the only thing that would be kind of sensible to make an unlock of would be a sniper scope.

So basically a "proper" WWII Battlefield (the way I would be willing to pay for it) couldn't come with unlocks/progression system (actually maybe you could unlock some things like more nades and little things like that, but certainly not in such a scale as it is in BF3) so it wouldn't look retarded and would follow at least the basics of history. And I want the next WWII game to be "serious", not just another 'BF Heroes'.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18-07-2012, 14:07:06 »
What you are saying Natty is true, but when people cry for another WW2 shooter or another SciFi Shooter, then it's because of the game-mechanics and not because of the real life meta story.

Some people like bolt action 1s1k weapons, those are your run of the mill WW1/2 fans, then there are people who want drones, Mechs and whatnot (BF2142 was an excellent game with it's mechanics!) those are the ones longing for the SciFi szenario.

The marked is just saturated with Desert/Jungle/Forresty maps that feature an AK47 and a M4 with mirror gameplay...
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18-07-2012, 15:07:42 »
BF4 beta will start at autumn of 2013... so it will become at november 2014.. that's three years after BF3. Time between BF1942 and BF2 was also 3 years. Stop whining about being "CoD". They also made BF Vietnam before BF2 (2004) which was basically a mod for BF1942 and no one complained. BF2142 was made a year after BF2.

Seriously, you guys are being childish. DICE doesn't make Medal of Honor, even though they use their engine. Also Black Flops and Moden Warfare are made by different companies, even though they use same brand name (only because it sells more).

I don't think that DICE will spend 3 years making a mod for BF3.
« Last Edit: 18-07-2012, 15:07:06 by Ciupita »

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18-07-2012, 15:07:16 »
they will, happened with bfv and with bf2142

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:28 »
BF2142 was easily a whole new game compared to what Modern Warfare sequels are.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:05 »
they will, happened with bfv and with bf2142

BF:V took 2 years and BF2142 1 year.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:16 »
you are asuming bf4 will take 1 year from alpha to release. bf3 alpha started in april and was released on november, 7 months.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:28 »
Exactly... BF:Vietnam and BF2142 were both standalone games and had absolutely nothing to do with bf42 or BF2  :-\ you guys don't know the history of this franchise? jeez..

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:24 »
you are asuming bf4 will take 1 year from alpha to release. bf3 alpha started in april and was released on november, 7 months.

lol?.... sure. ok, whatever you say  ::)

you dont think they had developed much more than what was in the alpha...?  ::) ::)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:59 »
BFV and 2142 were great. If BF4 would be something along the lines of 2142, I might be interested. If its just BF2-3. Then I'll skip it just like I skipped BF3.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:54 »

you dont think they had developed much more than what was in the alpha...?  ::) ::)

oh im sure they have. the alpha is just the way they say "demo". The only reason they call it alpha its because they will be stress testing the servers and stadistic features.

the alpha they will release in fall 2013 will be already months old, just like the beta of bf3 was.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:33 »
when you make a game which will have millions of players using a series of connected systems you kind of have to stress test it... yeah  ::)

oh, and how predictable the thread would get infested with the same old "they juz do it cuz the money" type arguments.. what's next, the no mod-tools discussion?  ;D

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:18 »
i dont remember mentioning anything about money??

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:16 »
Developers are going to have to be creative with story on this one.

The marked is just saturated with Desert/Jungle/Forresty maps that feature an AK47 and a M4 with mirror gameplay...

DLFReporter hits the nail on the head with this one. The last, what 5 years(? iirc CoD4 came out 2007), have all seen the production and over saturation of the videogame market with First person shooters based on either some variant of NATO v WARSAW or US v Terrorists v Communist (or former comm) country.

While BF4 might sell a lot primarily on brand name alone, I don't believe the story is going to be anything spectacular once we hear about it. What looks good on paper, plays almost entirely too similar to the last reiteration of America v Whathaveyou. It'll only be so long until the bubble for this particular branch of time period and its alternate realities burst, just like the WW2 bubble of the early 2000s. I have to give some props to the team at Treyarch for coming up with a more original story for BO:II and breaking away from the repetitive formula listed above.

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18-07-2012, 16:07:03 »
The thing is, FPS game must have USA or it won't sell. It's a fact. They aim always for American market and Americans won't touch a game which don't have USA in it. So it will be USA vs. something.