Author Topic: Would you like to be a tadabester?  (Read 4457 times)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
Re: Would you like to be a tadabester?
« Reply #30 on: 07-06-2010, 13:06:46 »
I am inclined to say NO, but this is not a satisfying answer to this question

1. Why I liked to be a tadabester

- Access to latest vehicles/maps/weapons
- Bugs are present, so I sometimes could be gamey and wtfpwn11!!1 everyone
- FH2 is fun.

2. Why I don't liked to be a tadabester

- Gaming are unhealthy (excessive)
- I don't like the idea when I am about to fire the killing shot and get "your connection has a problem"
- Timezone is not matching
- Much of the time of tadabesting is not about gaming (I don't mind to do that for 5 minutes, but I mind if for 2 hours)

Offline DAzLAYER

• [DLF] Leader
    • View Profile
    • [DenLedeFi]
« Reply #31 on: 07-06-2010, 13:06:49 »
Not to mention 3 Swedish devs. Way too many Swedes.

I agree :P

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #32 on: 07-06-2010, 14:06:22 »

I agree :P

damn.  >:(

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Invincible

• Armyyyyarrrrrr!
    • View Profile
    • Javelin Photos
« Reply #33 on: 07-06-2010, 15:06:05 »

From now one you should only accept people with a Dutch passport imo. ;)

"If I advance, follow me. If I stop, urge me on. If I retreat, kill me."

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07-06-2010, 16:06:04 »
I'd like to be a tadabester because I have previous experience in testing mods(tested 3 so far), and i've followed the mod for several years. 4 or 5 years I think.

The downside would be that I probably would not have time to test that much.
« Last Edit: 07-06-2010, 16:06:54 by SJonni »

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-06-2010, 16:06:31 »
First of all, I appreciate the lengths that the dev team and betatesters go in creating and perfecting this excellent mod that has held my interest since the early-median days of FH1 (well, .5 I think).  Thank you all.

That said, I am one of the few that has no interest whatsoever in being a tadabester or betatester.

The main reason is that I simply don't have the time to be of much use for the testing team.  It's a good week if I can get on for 90 minutes or so to play for fun.

I'm not attracted to the the tedium of hopping around testing statics or trying to replicate an error, by climbing in and out of a tank while another betatester climbs a ladder across the map, for instance.  This would drive me into a murderous rage.  I do appreciate those who are attracted to this type of work.

Also, I kind of like seeing the finished product...when it's finished.  This isn't to say I wouldn't be interested in seeing what's behind the curtain before a release candidate... :)

Biiviz

« Reply #36 on: 07-06-2010, 17:06:01 »
"Tadabester" sounds extremely gay for some reason.

azreal

« Reply #37 on: 07-06-2010, 18:06:05 »

To be honest, I don't think we've ever had any bugs (that I can remember) where something is that FUBAR.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07-06-2010, 18:06:36 »

To be honest, I don't think we've ever had any bugs (that I can remember) where something is that FUBAR.

P47 rockets....

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07-06-2010, 18:06:59 »
I wonder if anyone discovered it yet.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #40 on: 07-06-2010, 19:06:49 »

The grappeling hook incident maybe?  Oh god was that hilarious.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #41 on: 07-06-2010, 19:06:52 »
haha talking about bugs :p As a former Battlefield Pirates 2 betatester - lots of crazy shit haha!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline Aggroman

• FH-Betatester
  • This place needs more love -> ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07-06-2010, 20:06:33 »
I can say that I like it to be one, and I'm very thankful that Toddel recruited me. :)
I'm in a good time zone for that, I have lots of cool internet friends in the team and I even started to learn modelling(!).
The contact to the devs is pretty cool, you can talk to them all night long on teamspeak, they tell you what they are working on, or how things work in the game, how they fixed bugs etc.
And the time they take for you if you show some interest is amazing. :)
I mean, Toddel is telling me everything I want to know about modelling, he slapped me thousand times just that I do it right, and I still did things wrong, but he never stops helping me and I think any other dev would do the same.

Not to forget the fun you have at the sessions, some epic lols we had some nights, will never forget the first night, playing pre 2.2 till 2am with Fenring, Priest and Wasntme. :)

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #43 on: 07-06-2010, 20:06:48 »
Somewhere last year I got a PM that told me I was a betatester. I still have no clue why they picked me.

Side effects of betatesting is that I play way less FH2 then I used to.

Purge.
The.
Swedes.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07-06-2010, 20:06:55 »
It seems that I never told my story after all :). So there I was, fighting polar bears with my bare hands. It got a bit boring after a while so I checked the FH forum, still fending off the pesky polar bears (bloody teddies are under protection) and saw [1] nex to my Messages. "You have been chosen to be a betatester please register here and there. Welcome to the team."

Ok, putting silly stories aside, I got very excited. I didn't even think of saying 'no' at that time and I'm glad it stayed that way. You have to realize that this was pre 2.2 so everything in public version was desert, desert and moar desert. I also got a bit hot-headed from my new title and 'teased' other regulars along with other fresh testers that day. Yet still my motivation was to have some posotive influence on the mod from the inside and help devs with their work although I don't have any moding skills as most of you. Anyway that was the beginning.

Now I'm a tester for almost a year now and I got some thoughts and a bit of experience on that matter. Listen carefully cause I'm gonna reveal some secrets ;).

Most valuable assests of a betatester is time and dedication. If you can't afford for at least 3-4 hours a week on tests you shouldn't accept your invitation if you want to be fair to the devs that invite you. Dedication would be best shown in (apart from session attendance) forum/comunity activity. If you are afraid to speak out your mind or don't care what happens on internal forum - don't bother signing up. I've seen far too many people jumping in for a couple of sessions and disapearing or the other way around - people that test but do not speak out in the forum where they're needed as well.

Apart from those two main atributes you don't to have to meet any other criteria in my book. Being a nice chap is also a plus and knowind something about modding increases your chances of being 'caught up' a lot. Yet still it doesn't make you effective tester.

What I wrote might seem harsh and pretty elitist-no-life way of thinking. At some part it is but that's just ideal conditions if you ask me. I realize everyone has "a life" and other duties/activities. We are all a mix of good and bad within our personalization. But when you're a tester you have to pay an adequate price for your luxuries if you ask me.

Ofcourse testing is not only work. We keep it fun and light so we won't get put off with our testing duties. The best situation if you feel the need inside of you to help others in the team instead of "crap, I have to do it again" attitude. Testing sessions are often 2 hours of pure fun so it's not so bad as some of you may think.

It seems I can't make any conclusive ending to this babbling so I better just cut it here :).