Author Topic: crashing after click on disconnect or quit  (Read 3045 times)

Offline cammetron

• View Profile
crashing after click on disconnect or quit
« on: 18-01-2010, 23:01:15 »
FH2 with patch 2.25 plays great in singleplayer until I click on 'disconnect' - it then freezes. Using 'Quit' also freezes game. Running as administrator and in XP. Antivirus turned off. High-end quad core system with windows 7.  If I quit after game freezes by closing BF2.exe through task manager it seems to be stable. (Maybe - sometimes file moving problems occur.) Same problem with singleplayer only worse as it definitely leads to multiple file moving problems and crashes FH2 at the start. Now faced with second complete reinstall of BF2 and FH2. OMG!
Stunning game - hope there is a fix for this.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: crashing after click on disconnect or quit
« Reply #1 on: 19-01-2010, 17:01:37 »
FH2 with patch 2.25 plays great in singleplayer until I click on 'disconnect' - it then freezes. Using 'Quit' also freezes game. Running as administrator and in XP. Antivirus turned off. High-end quad core system with windows 7.  If I quit after game freezes by closing BF2.exe through task manager it seems to be stable. (Maybe - sometimes file moving problems occur.) Same problem with singleplayer only worse as it definitely leads to multiple file moving problems and crashes FH2 at the start. Now faced with second complete reinstall of BF2 and FH2. OMG!
Stunning game - hope there is a fix for this.

Go to the console while in game using the ~ key and type in quit. This may cause shaders problems.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline cammetron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-01-2010, 23:01:09 »
Okay, tried the above using~ and quit. Game still freezes, only worse. Lost mouse cursor, couldn't turn off through task manager and had to shut down computer. I'll stick with my disconnect-freeze-task manager way of doing it unless someone has another idea. To switch maps I have to restart the game but that's bearable.
Thinking that maybe this is an error that crept in with the original download in FH2.2 part 1 since no one else seems to have this problem.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-01-2010, 11:01:03 »
I am afraid it's your PC that has a problem as other people play single payer fine without the issues you mentioned.
You could try the tedious process of reinstalling BF2 and FH2.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Geurvreter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-01-2010, 16:01:21 »
I have the same problem. The only solution is to start the taskmanager with ctrl-alt-del and kill the BF2.exe process. Killing the FH2.exe causes problems with files.

I'm running Win7-x64

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-01-2010, 10:01:15 »
 Don't blame the computer for a problem that is exclusively caused by the mod.

I have been playing FH2 since  the lonely beginning (for North America) and every patch causes me the exact same problem with respect to disconnecting, or that retarded black and white bug.

Suck it up and accept the fact that the Dev team will never fix this problem, it has been in existence since day one and never seems to be a priority for a fix but I would recommend:
 1) never disconnect while a new map is loading (leave at the end of map and sacrifice your stats, it will prevent the stupid FH2 re-install issues)
 2) dont post the problem here because the Dev team will never fix it, we get blamed for having a shitty PC but don't forget that this problem only happens with FH2 due to the insistence on having custom shaders for the field of view.

Every other BF mod that i have ever played has never come close to the issues that FH2 has but I still keep playing because of sheer enjoyment so if you like the mod a lot, put up with the problems it has, otherwise save yourself from some major stress and don't bother playing.

Just my 2 cents,
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-01-2010, 11:01:24 »
Don't blame the computer for a problem that is exclusively caused by the mod.

I have been playing FH2 since  the lonely beginning (for North America) and every patch causes me the exact same problem with respect to disconnecting, or that retarded black and white bug.

Suck it up and accept the fact that the Dev team will never fix this problem, it has been in existence since day one and never seems to be a priority for a fix but I would recommend:
 1) never disconnect while a new map is loading (leave at the end of map and sacrifice your stats, it will prevent the stupid FH2 re-install issues)
 2) dont post the problem here because the Dev team will never fix it, we get blamed for having a shitty PC but don't forget that this problem only happens with FH2 due to the insistence on having custom shaders for the field of view.

Every other BF mod that i have ever played has never come close to the issues that FH2 has but I still keep playing because of sheer enjoyment so if you like the mod a lot, put up with the problems it has, otherwise save yourself from some major stress and don't bother playing.

Just my 2 cents,

Yes I will blame the computer since most people don't have the problems the OP has. Namely the PC freezing after quitting FH2.

I had this problem with BF2 too on my old computer and it was caused by a slow disk and too little memory and sometimes a sheer amount of bad luck with your PC configuration.

And the problems with the shaders is due to not correctly quiting the game.

Offline Geurvreter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-01-2010, 02:01:15 »
I do Like FH2 to much to let this bug sreiously bother me.
I agree with sheikyerbouti that it's not a pc problem but a FH2 problem exclusively.
BF2 without the mod runs fine and my pc is powerful enough to run it even with a heavy mod.

Offline cammetron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-01-2010, 04:01:55 »
Nice to know I'm not the only sufferer. Using Windows 7 32 bit here. I've since tried POE and AIX and they don't have this problem. Doesn't matter if I finish a game or use esc and then disconnect or quit. It freezes. I am resigned. In love with the WW2 scenario.
The black and white bug I do not have anymore. Forgot to run as admin and XP the first time I played FH2 and it crashed and removed the client shaders in bf2 to somewhere else unknown. Another universe maybe. Reinstalled everything and no worries since.

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-01-2010, 05:01:30 »
Any other operating system save XP will have trouble with FH2 because BF2 was made for XP exclusively. It's not really a problem with FH2, but windows

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-01-2010, 06:01:53 »
My FH2 even reports a crash when I deliberately chose to quit. As if! And many random times during loading. It's pain in the *ass, if you get kicked out from a full server due to the crash, often it's full by the time you get back online. But most of the time there's no problem and never crashed during gameplay (COOP excluded).

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25-01-2010, 13:01:24 »
I do Like FH2 to much to let this bug sreiously bother me.
I agree with sheikyerbouti that it's not a pc problem but a FH2 problem exclusively.
BF2 without the mod runs fine and my pc is powerful enough to run it even with a heavy mod.

What are you PC specs. All problems exist to be solved  :D
One thing that you could do is monitor the resource when you exit FH2. See which component and software is claiming the most resources during exiting.

Or you can try a radical solution. Example I had a problem with getting GTA IV to work with my Vista installation.
Everybody said that it should but for me it didn't.
So I just created an extra partition, installed XP on it and blam GTA IV works now with my XP installation.

@Gunther
The crashreporting thing is not to be confused with the problems Sheik and Geurvreter are having. Their PC freezes when quiting FH2.
« Last Edit: 25-01-2010, 13:01:21 by NTH »

Offline 9.Pz-Div. Günther

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-01-2010, 00:01:53 »
Ofcourse - I wasn't implying such a thing, but I just wanted to get that off of my chest. :)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26-01-2010, 21:01:36 »
Ofcourse - I wasn't implying such a thing, but I just wanted to get that off of my chest. :)

If it has a therapeutic effect on you then then I don't mind.  ;)

Offline cammetron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-01-2010, 07:01:24 »
Can now report that EOD, AIX and POE mods all have the disconnect and quit buttons working fine on my computer. Only FH2 freezes.
Specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
       System Model: System Product Name
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/11/09 17:35:14 Ver: 08.00.15
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3064MB RAM
          Page File: 1072MB used, 5052MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode