Author Topic: FH crashes on load  (Read 3043 times)

Offline oddball_the_maggot

• View Profile
FH crashes on load
« on: 08-07-2011, 10:07:15 »
I have recently reinstalled 1942 for unknown reason :P

I guess i would like to test all the factions and tanks...

But anyway, when i load any map, in middle of load my game CTD.

Any reason why?
Running on Windows 7, and set compabillity to win XP

Offline oddball_the_maggot

• View Profile
Re: FH crashes on load
« Reply #1 on: 08-07-2011, 10:07:14 »
No need for help, i fixed it with a strange program called " BF1942CF.zip"

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-07-2011, 13:07:36 »
Never heard of it, are you sure it was from a 'safe' site? ;)
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-07-2011, 20:07:59 »
Its probably from the Pixel Fighter Community.

BF1942CF (Battlefield 1942 Compatibility Fix) is a Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit fix database (.sdb file) in an executable installer.

This sets only the individual compatibility fixes necessary to run BF1942 with FH in Vista and Win7 without invoking the complete OS compatibility mode.  The full mode contains a long list of fixes that aren't required for BF1942 and cause unnecessary system restrictions.

The other useful feature of using a tailor made fix is that it is not seen by PunkBuster as Win98 compatibility mode, which was excluded by evenbalance and will cause kicks from PB enabled BF1942 (and thus FH) servers.

I've actually recreated it myself using the MS toolkit and the only fixes required are:

EmulateHeap - emulates the functionality of the Windows 9x heap manager
NoGhost - no window ghosting
Win98VersionLie - Hooks the GetVersion and GetVersionEx APIs so that they return Windows 98 version credentials

For the full low-down on running FH 0.7 in Vista and Win7, the PFC site is the place to visit.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-07-2011, 03:07:31 »
Even though FH1 isn't supported any longer by the devs, reference to this application might deserve some sticky spot.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline RN_Max

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-07-2011, 12:07:06 »
Agreed ... or Forgotten Hope has always deserved to keep its own sub forum here.

It might not be officially supported any more, but it is an acclaimed and much loved legacy of where this mod has come from which deserves a bit more respect than being banished to oblivion by its own home.

Also there are some of us here who still retain some valuable knowledge for those who frequently come here looking for answers.

Shame on you FH forum staff.