Author Topic: looking for a new gaming mouse  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
looking for a new gaming mouse
« on: 11-04-2011, 16:04:09 »
Hi guy since many of you here are gamers  i guess you might can help me out here.
i am looking for a new mouse, my almost 8 year old logitech MX1000, it was the first laser mouse ever build for the consumer marked and i love it

but is really starting to act out. making double clicks when only clicking once. and not registering clicks some times,  drag & drop not really working that well anymore etc.
although the double click thing is often very useful when playing FH with semi auto weapons like pistols  to get 2 quick shots of almost on the same spot. saved my life a few times but in general it gets annoying.

what i liked about the mouse was the number of buttons, 3 thumb buttons i wouldn't want to miss in the new mouse. in fh i got prone in center and the 2 command/squad command things on the others.
2 additional buttons at the mouse wheel, not really needed in FH2 (page up/down for quick voting) but in other more "complex" games even those can come in very handy.
and of course the 3 usual buttons left, right, mousewheel.

to sum up:

- new gaming mouse with at least 2 but much more preferred 3 thumb buttons

- no real need for the 2 extra buttons at the mouse wheel

- i dont need any fancy DPI/mouse sense changing

- no need to be a cordless mouse

- laser mouse prefered since i use a "textile" mousepad

price range kind of open, if you can make a good case why your suggestion is good and QUALITY also is fine i am more than willing to pay the price for a good piece of equipment i will use for many years to come. hell the MX1000 cost me 70€ back in the day but i used it 7 years without a problem and only lately it has started acting up.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
Re: looking for a new gaming mouse
« Reply #1 on: 11-04-2011, 17:04:36 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102062&Tpk=R.A.T.%207

I bought that mouse last month, and it is a BEAST of a mouse! Well worth the $75 ($100 if you go to BestBuy or some other big store).

BTW that review is wrong, the sniper button you can change the DPI for it. ATM my lowest setting (which I use all the time, hardly go to setting 2 which is 1200 DPI) is 800 DPI and my sniper button is set to 75% of the current setting (since my current DPI is 800, the sniper button is 200 DPI). Maximum PC and PC gamer has also reviewed it (won't find the articles now, just woke up), and Max PC gave it a 9 and a kickass award. The only thing they said they didn't like about it is if you have tiny hands you can't use it that well, while PC Gamer gave it a 98% and said the same thing as Max PC iirc.

*EDIT* forgot to say, this mouse is the most accurate mouse I've ever used in my life. From what I've read about it, they put two lasers in there, one reads the X axis, while the other one reads the Y axis. It can also track up to (iirc) 6 meters a second. There's also a cordless one called the R.A.T. 9. It has the same features as the R.A.T. 7, but comes with two lithium-ion batteries and a receiver/charger/weight storage. That means that while one battery is in your mouse, the other one is recharging. Then when you need to change batteries (even in a game), you just pull the old battery out, pull out the new one, swap them, GAME ON! But iirc it's about $30+ more than the R.A.T. 7
« Last Edit: 11-04-2011, 17:04:25 by Sgt_V3n0m »

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-04-2011, 17:04:32 »
that's one of the ugliest mouse I've ever seen  :P

Yes, thumb buttons are a must for a gaming mouse. However, personally, I wouldn't buy a mouse over the internet. What I find important is how a mouse feels in the hand. It must be in a natural position. So if I need a mouse, I go to different stores and see how it fits.

If I where you, I would look to far. Logitech has a wide range of decent mice, nice price / quality.   

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-04-2011, 17:04:30 »
Yo dawg. I heard you like side buttons.

j/k. Or semi-joke, I think it's considered a good mouse but I haven't tried it.

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-04-2011, 17:04:32 »
I have Verbatim Rapier V2 and I find it excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdulhN4g1Q

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-04-2011, 18:04:53 »
that's one of the ugliest mouse I've ever seen  :P

Yes, thumb buttons are a must for a gaming mouse. However, personally, I wouldn't buy a mouse over the internet. What I find important is how a mouse feels in the hand. It must be in a natural position. So if I need a mouse, I go to different stores and see how it fits.

If I where you, I would look to far. Logitech has a wide range of decent mice, nice price / quality.   

You talking 'bout my mouse? Well at BestBuy they DO have a display of it (at least they did at the one here), and I bought it on the internet cause it's a HELLUVA lot cheaper than going to a brick and mortar store.

Also, the R.A.T. 7 can change shape (by swapping out the pinky rest and the palm rest, you can also adjust the length of the palm rest and the length and angle of the thumb rest), so you can make it where it IS comfy for you.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-04-2011, 18:04:23 »
I'll throw in a cordless one so you'll have at least one of both.This is, I guess, more optimal for laptops, but I can imagine using this one with any kind of PC.

Logitech Marathon Mouse M705. Small, effective, deadly.

Laser, two side buttons, battery lasts up to three years. Fits nicely at least in my hand, quite usable in gaming and other activities.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5843
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-04-2011, 19:04:19 »
hmm thx for the suggestions so far, sadly none of the mice had 3 thumb buttons.

and before i gonna order something i ll try the mice out in a local electronics store
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-04-2011, 20:04:59 »
hmm thx for the suggestions so far, sadly none of the mice had 3 thumb buttons.

and before i gonna order something i ll try the mice out in a local electronics store

o-O What about Zrix's suggestion? His has, what is it, 12 buttons?

XD

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-04-2011, 20:04:26 »
i actually have taken a closer look at that mouse before and basically liked it but this is more something for MMORPGs than shooters and i would press the wrong button at times.

anyone got experience with the  logitech G500, 10 programmable buttons  ;D
« Last Edit: 11-04-2011, 20:04:24 by Die Happy »
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-04-2011, 21:04:42 »
Logitech sucks

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-04-2011, 21:04:49 »
Logitech sucks

Lol. I don't think so, my dad has a kickass logitech mouse, been going on for quite a long time now.

Plus, I WANT THE G19!!! T-T

Too bad I don't have the $200 to blow on it. T-T

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-04-2011, 17:04:05 »
hmm read a bit more into the g500 , seems a bit wobbly for some poeple.

anyone got experience with the G700 ?

4 thumb buttons + 3 next to the left mouse  :-*
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Sgt_V3n0m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-04-2011, 18:04:46 »
Nope, but I'm still a fervent believer in the R.A.T. 7 and 9 XD

a total of 3 profiles, easy software and driver installation and use, a sniper button, the most accurate laser(s) I've ever seen in a mouse. TWO scroll wheels (one under the thumb. Yes it looks like it's easy to hit, but trust me, it's not. Plus you can set it to whatever you want), VERY comfortable, adjustable in most every way, and very sturdy (it has a steel chassis).

The only problem I have with it is that you can't rock the scroll wheel side to side, but that's a minor issue in my book.

And I looked at my dads mouse (he has a MX518 Logitech mouse), but it only has 2 thumb buttons, and he's had it for at LEAST 5-6 years, and only now it's starting to show signs of it's age (scroll wheel not working that well, left and right buttons are starting to degrade. I would give it at LEAST a year before he has to buy a new one).

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13-04-2011, 17:04:20 »
after checking out the G500 and G700, a bit more closely they both wont do.
G500 seems, poor quality and the G700 seems much better but it is wireless and i ve read many people complain about the weak battery.

the R.A.T. 9 seems nice, i m looking into that further. customization of the mouse to fit my hand is a big +.

since you have that mouse a few questions:
- i ve read you can connect a cable to the mouse in case your battery runs low or whatever. what quality is that cable. for the G700 people said that cable was very stiff and thus not suitable for gaming.

- for how long do you have the mouse now ? any sings wear ? rubber getting loose ? buttons "springing" ? etc
Live Long & Die Happy