Author Topic: Lucid Dreaming  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Lucid Dreaming
« on: 11-07-2011, 00:07:46 »
Lucid Dreaming
A lucid dream is a dream in which the sleeper is aware that she or he is dreaming. When the dreamer is lucid, she or he can actively participate in and often manipulate the imaginary experiences in the dream environment.

Some of you may, or may not be familiar with this idea. It is a scientifically proven act in which you can take control of your brain when it is at its most active, free and creative state. While dreaming, the whole of you brain is working hard, the area which works at a lower level than it would usually do when you are awake is the part of your brain which controls logical reasoning and thought; this is why all sorts of weird and wonderful things can happen while dreaming.

Often in dreams, crazy and wild things can happen and you won't think anything of it until you wake up. This is because, as far as you are aware while dreaming, you are in reality. Lucid dreaming is being conciously aware within a dream that you are in fact, in a dream. Because of how real dreams feel this can be an extremely hard thing to achieve and if you are a non-natural Lucid dreamer can take several weeks preperation to achieve.

Examples of how to prepare yourself include keeping a dream journal. This is where you write down what you've dreamt about in as much detail before you do anything else after waking up. After building up this collection dreams you may eventually be able to find a theme running through the dreams whether this is a place, a sound, an action etc. Once conscious of this theme (this is achieved by reading your journal multiple times as a daily routine) you may be able to identify this theme within a dream; if you manage this you will be able to identify yourself as being in a dream state.

Another example is by pinching yourself routinely throught the day for a long enough period of time for this to become second nature to you. As routines will be thrown up in your dream due to your brain activity you should in theory pinch yourself within your dream without experiencing pain. Once you have noticed that you can pinch yourself without experiencing pain you have achieved a lucid dream state.

A final example is simply by routinely asking yourself, "Am I dreaming?". This sounds silly, but again, if this becomes second nature to you eventually you will ask yourself this question within your dream. Asking yourself such a question will allow yourself to observe your surroundings in detail. If you are in a dream state, you will become aware of it.

Now I'm no expert on this subject, although it does interest me greatly. If you are interested I strongly urge you to look into it further, a great place to start being youtube. I was curious as to whether anyone on this forum has experienced Lucid dreaming, whether anyone on the forum is a Natural Lucid dreamer, whether anyone on this forum would now consider giving this a go and if anyone would be willing to be the public forum guinea pig by starting attempting to Lucid dream, and updating daily on progress and results.

This is pretty cool stuff and is serious business. I'm being serious, great ideas, theories and creative potential can be unlocked with Lucid dreaming.

Lets hear your thoughts!

(P.S. This is written late, and i'm tired. There may be incidences of nonsense and poor spelling above, I apologise in advance.)

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
Re: Lucid Dreaming
« Reply #1 on: 11-07-2011, 01:07:45 »
I'd write more but its getting late ;) so I'll just leave this link here.

IMO best place to start looking when searching info about LD - http://www.dreamviews.com/content/

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-07-2011, 01:07:54 »
I'm gonna make my own inception!

Sounds really amazing though, heard of it before. Wonder what the dream would be like, would you think "this is a dream, I can do whatever I want!" or what. Cool!
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-07-2011, 02:07:38 »
I often experience lucid dreaming on weekends were my sleep patterns are less rigid.

A reoccurring theme is that I am being chased (by what I have yet to figure out). In normal dreaming this can be a horrible experience but when lucid dreaming it is entirely different.

I find that I can actively shape my surroundings to escape, no matter how much of a dead end I may be in. Despite the fact I am being chased I actively enjoy the experience and during my lucid dreaming I often remember different routes and means of escape that I have created in previous dreams in incredible detail. All the while I am totally aware that it is a dream (perhaps why there is no fear involved). The only problem is that they are usually very short but the level of details and vividness of the lucid dreams more than make up for it.

Unfortunately I seem to have no control over the theme of the dream, only my actions and surroundings within it.

Now if only I can have this same level of control in relation to me and Megan Fox then I don't think I would ever want to wake up  ;D

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-07-2011, 11:07:54 »
Now if only I can have this same level of control in relation to me and Megan Fox then I don't think I would ever want to wake up  ;D

LoL!

I love this lucid dreaming thing... the only problem is that I'm never fully aware that I'm dreaming so I can't really take control... Maybe I should buy that lucid dream helper thingy you put on your head and when you enter a specific phase of your sleep it starts blinking so you can realize that you're dreaming easier...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #5 on: 11-07-2011, 12:07:07 »
Weird.

A few days ago I had my first lucid dream < that sounds so strange.

Anyways, usually the dream just flows on but this time I was like, no, I want to go there and I want to do that. And I did. Pretty weird stuff, to take control.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-07-2011, 12:07:52 »
oh I have this quite often.
Maybe it comes with stress ect.

2 years ago I was dreaming that I am an electron and need to change my orbital to a better position. It was the time when I learned much for my chemistery exam ^^  ;D

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-07-2011, 12:07:55 »
I find that lucid dreaming comes into play during times in my life were significant thought is needed to fulfill my constant need for reasoning. During these times in my life, like now, I spend long hours quietly absorbed in my own thoughts, both during the day, and at night. At night, where the limits of the scenarios that can be imagined by the human brain are endless, it is perhaps the most interesting. In a sort of out of body experience I can subconsciously use my brain to rerun any moment in my life's history to then debate the consequences of that particular moment, and how it may have hurt or benefit me now in the present.

Lucid dreaming is also recurrent for me, when a strong feeling of uneasiness comes over me, a feeling which can only be described as an "intuition" about coming events. There have been many nights where terrible situations, and the necessary means to prevent them, have replayed themselves in my head as my mind seemingly studies the worst possible outcomes to certain scenarios. In some cases, these intuitive uneasy feelings prove themselves correct, and there have been times where these feelings have come adjacent to horrible circumstances, either for myself, or for others.

I am also a firm believer in the ability of the human mind to vision the future. Deja Vu, as it were. There have been countless times I can recount where dreams have offered me a very exacting scenario, and then at some point often in far later life, that same scenario arises in every detail with which it was presented in the dream. The only differences coming when the acknowledgement of Deja Vu comes, and actions are changed based around the remembrance of the dream scenario. It is for this sole reason, that I hold the belief that if man were able to harness the full power of his mind whilst asleep, one might even be able to predict his own future with measurable accuracy.

The last, but perhaps strongest belief about the human mind for me, is the way in which the brain effectively stores knowledge. It is not secret that during sleep, our bodies heal faster, our brain rewires itself to make use of the information it has gathered during the day, and burns into our minds important details about the previous day for future reference. I have had great success in my own personal experiments with my mind, to explore the effectiveness of studying complex material at different times of the day. In each circumstance, I find that I was more able to remember the content within the subject material, after just a single read through, if I read the subject material directly before falling asleep. I believe that studying/learning a new task/reading just before engaging in sleep, is the best and most effective way to learn a subject quickly and over a fewer number of days than would typically be required.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-07-2011, 14:07:43 »
I usually have repetitive dreams, or even continuing dreams. For example i have seen a dream twice or three times during a week (the same one with some minor differences) or i have seen a dream with a certain pattern continue throughout the week (first i was a soldier, then i was captured,then i was free).

Some other times i take it to a whole new level: For example i hear the watch ringing in my sleep and i say to myself "Hey mate, you need to wake up,school time" Or other times i realize it is just a dream ,saying "Well this is obviously just a dream" in my sleep, and just go with it till its over doing all the crazy stuff.

What i hate most though is the fact that some of the dreams i am able to sense and go through involve running and for some reason despite me being fast in real life (100mts in 12.2 secs), in my dreams no matter how much i push my self i cannot run. I try and try , being chased by god knows what, but still it seems like i am in slow motion...It frightens me...

Lastly, does anybody knows what is this "kick" your body usually does when you lie down and start "daydreaming" ? Usually after tiring days while trying to sleep i start dreaming before sleeping and when that happens i either fall or slide in my dream and i give a reflex kick in real life trying to prevent what happens in my dream.My bet would be its just tension leaving your body in such way.

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #9 on: 11-07-2011, 16:07:27 »
Lastly, does anybody knows what is this "kick" your body usually does when you lie down and start "daydreaming" ? Usually after tiring days while trying to sleep i start dreaming before sleeping and when that happens i either fall or slide in my dream and i give a reflex kick in real life trying to prevent what happens in my dream.My bet would be its just tension leaving your body in such way.

I think i've experienced what you are talking about...
I've had dreams which I have been woken from by sudden, violent boody movements. Recently I had a dream from which I was woken from by a very aggressive, single, strong kicking motion. I can't recall the details of the dream but I recall being in some sort of danger and I'm almost certain I was attempting to kick someone or something in my dream. As soon as I was awoken by my jolting leg my heart was racing and I felt in a state of shock.

I've had others in which I am falling and awake at the peak of a falling sensation in which i feel my stomach is in my mouth (much like on a rollercoaster) by a full body jolt, on my bed, as if my body has just hit my matress with great force.

I had a recurring dream from back when I was about 2 or 3 in which i was knocked off of a stone pier into the sea. The dream would end here and I would always wake up on the floor. This dream returned to me when I was about 5 or 6, although slightly developed; I would remain in dream after falling into the sea, i'd swim underwater to the metal ladder of the pier but just as I reach out for the railings I'd turn around to see the jaws of a great white shark hurtle towards me mere feet from my body before I'd wake, again on the floor.

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-07-2011, 17:07:00 »
A good tip is to look for things out of the ordinary, you can train during the day by observing your usual daily whereabouts in more detail. Then, when you are dreaming, you might notice strange things earlier. People are of no use here, look for ordinary things: a plate, a chair, a vase, a trashcan, parked cars, etc.

I can only really remember one time, but it was a good one. I was about to move to my own place in the centre of town from my student dorm. I remember dreaming of being in a new apartment, but it was very different from the one I was moving to. I didn't really realize that in the dream though, that happened when I looked outside for a look of the view. I was looking out onto the central city square, from the corner of the postoffice. VERY STRANGE.

That was when I realized that I was dreaming. I couldn't control it though, but it also didn't pop. I proceeded to dream and think about the best use of the cool black attic, which I did not have in my real new place. I can still draw out the dream apartment, there was no furniture, except a small lamp table near my square view window. The place was already painted white with wood floors. I often ride by the post-office, but there doesn't seem to be an apartment there, there's a good change I can climb a corner tower from my dream attic though :D

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #11 on: 11-07-2011, 17:07:26 »
That's so true Gezoes!

I once had this very real memory of something I did. But somehow it struck me so odd.. Later that day I knew it had to be a dream because I remember wearing flip-flops. with the Y-things in between your toes. I can't wear those, annoy the shit out of me.

And the movement thing usually makes me sad. Darn, awake again.

I've had recurring dreams for as long as I remember, a few must be over 10 years old now.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #12 on: 11-07-2011, 17:07:43 »
A good tip is to look for things out of the ordinary, you can train during the day by observing your usual daily whereabouts in more detail. Then, when you are dreaming, you might notice strange things earlier. People are of no use here, look for ordinary things: a plate, a chair, a vase, a trashcan, parked cars, etc.

Yes, I've heard that clockfaces and text tend to appear blurry in dreams.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11-07-2011, 17:07:10 »
I never remember my dreams. I do dream, of course, but only wake up in the middle of a dream like once a week. I want dreams! and I want to edit and control them like  you can...
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11-07-2011, 18:07:41 »
I have had several times that when I woke up in the middle of a dream, I could go back to sleep and just by thinking about the subject of my dream, I could continue where I left off. Not sure if that counts as lucid, though.