Author Topic: Inside a tank - effects.  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
Inside a tank - effects.
« on: 08-07-2010, 22:07:58 »
*Not sure if this is the most appropriate board or not*

I'm currently reading a book called "Tank men" and it is about the development of tank warfare from ww1 to the end of ww2. It has some very interesting first hand accounts from tankers of all nationalitys about what it was like to fight in them, including descriptions of what being fired on was like.

I'm willing to share some of these quotations with you as many of them could perhaps lead to better develop ment of effects and emmersion in future releases.

Only if there is interest though

"SomeSuspicious knocking on the tank' from incoming machine gun fire"

"We recieved the first strike on the rear of the tank, which immediately stopped"

"A shell burst through the turret, I was wounded in the face and left arm; blood covered my face and I could not see any more from my left eye"

"Sergeant-Major Hillion fought on as shell after shell crashed into his Hotchkiss tank, its 40mm of armour protection able to soak up much punishment"

"a powerful shock struck just behind me, I felt a violent pain in my back and a burning sensation on the whole left side of my face"

"an anti tank round entering the crew compartment was often accompanied by a searing flash of kinetic energy produced by its violent passage and metal flakes and scabs flying off the turret sides from the shock of impact.

"Dense smoke filled the tank" "The air inside the tank was unbreathable, I felt I was suffocating"

It continues on about how he climbs from the turret with a machine gun but is knocked off of the side of the tank by yet another hit on his tank which knocks him unconcious. He is woken by an "excruciating pain" in his legs. "I opened my eye and saw a tank rolling over both my legs; the edge of the track just under my knees". He contained his cries of pain fearing a mercy shot from the Panzer's commander.

There are more quotes on similar situations in the book but I cannot find them at the moment. These quotes are obviously not direct suggestions as such, rather reference and fuel for disscusion about how emmersion could be improved for tanking in game. I think its all to easy to forget there were people inside these machines and that it wasn't just a case of the tank absorbing all the flak until eventually blowing up; rather the crew feels everything that happens to the tank and all those rounds that pierce tanks don't just disapear, they harm the flesh and bones within.
« Last Edit: 09-07-2010, 00:07:00 by Josh094 »

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
Re: Inside a tank - effects.
« Reply #1 on: 08-07-2010, 23:07:25 »
So you are suggesting what exactly?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-07-2010, 23:07:08 »
He is suggesting obviously a rather good book?

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #3 on: 08-07-2010, 23:07:13 »
Sorry! Half asleep posting this, forgot to finish my post it.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-07-2010, 23:07:17 »
Perhaps you should have posted the quotes right away :P

Anyways, some immersion sounds would indeed be nice, but not sure how difficult it would be to record things that would be rather difficult to reconstruct in a believable manner (kinda hard to make a guy on a mic in his room sound like a desperate, adrenaline rushed tank crew member fearing for his life).

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #5 on: 08-07-2010, 23:07:57 »

Anyways, some immersion sounds would indeed be nice, but not sure how difficult it would be to record things that would be rather difficult to reconstruct in a believable manner (kinda hard to make a guy on a mic in his room sound like a desperate, adrenaline rushed tank crew member fearing for his life).

Not just sounds. It describes how it affected their vision and what it felt like.

I'll go find the book...

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-07-2010, 03:07:27 »

Not just sounds. It describes how it affected their vision and what it felt like.

I'll go find the book...
Get sober first... ;)
 :P

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-07-2010, 05:07:41 »
Could you re-post the title and author plz.

Thx!

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #8 on: 09-07-2010, 08:07:08 »
The book is called "Tank Men - The human story of tanks at war" by Robert Kershaw.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-07-2010, 10:07:35 »
TBH, while those are quite interesting...and sobering...quotes, I don't really know how that could ever be represented in a game =/

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #10 on: 09-07-2010, 11:07:04 »
TBH, while those are quite interesting...and sobering...quotes, I don't really know how that could ever be represented in a game =/

what VM said.

I'll be looking for that book this sunday in town! - but pls pls pls, don't add blood stains to the screen like the did in MW2.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Vincent Von Krüger

• no one can stop the RosenRitter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-07-2010, 11:07:06 »
indeed this would be good for realism i have my doubts how it would be implemented into the mod, as the Battlefield engine may be good it does have it's limitations.

yes it would be nice to have those effects but think of the amount of polygons and bits needed for it, it would lag the servers a bit.

though i am for this idea i wonder like the others have said before me how the devs would be able to put it in.
« Last Edit: 09-07-2010, 11:07:56 by PanzerGeneral »
being a soldier with an Bolt Action rifle i take pride in my work, knowing i got the most powerful anti personel weapon in my hands.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-07-2010, 11:07:31 »
how we the devs would be able to put it in.

Congratulations on the developer status. Didnt know we have a new one.  8)

:-X

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-07-2010, 12:07:35 »
Harsh, Flippy.. just harsh

I think the one thing that can be done is enhancing the sound effects. For instance, some sounds are supposed to be inside the tank, so these should be heard like you were in a room on any of the maps... sharp. External sounds would thus sound hollowed since the tank is supposed to be buttoned-up. Ricochets, patta-patta of bullets, shell hits, all these could be reworked. I think adding a bit of disorientation from a hit, even mg hit.. although that can't be half as bad as suppression

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #14 on: 09-07-2010, 17:07:54 »
I think effects such as the infantry supression effect should be added to tankers.