Author Topic: Standardizing a VOIP Program for FH2  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• Zi's Iz mein Flammenwerfer! And it Werfs Flammen!
    • View Profile
Standardizing a VOIP Program for FH2
« on: 09-08-2012, 23:08:04 »
When can we see a program like mumble or Teamspeak be used frequently on the FH2 mod? Can't the FH2 devs just have a link in their installer that directs the person to the Teamspeak website and have them DL it? Why i'm asking this is because im so god damn tired of not being able to communicate with the rest of my team personally without doing a few fast key strokes.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Standardizing a VOIP Program for FH2
« Reply #1 on: 09-08-2012, 23:08:25 »
Commander. Commander needs more utilization that he has now. Yes, there usualy are radios on several maps, but still not on all. And you need the radio to access the interface :-\ IF there's a commander on team, things get better in almost every scenario. I love the fact you can reach the commander via squad comm as a squad leader and vice-versa so you basically don't have to type anything. Too bad this happens only every so often though.

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-08-2012, 01:08:23 »
I'd really rather have players be able to talk to all other players than have it a system of squadmates talking to squad leaders and squadleaders talking to the commander. You never see that in FH2 and unless the commander becomes useful for once, it will never happen.

Im just recommending that the FH2 developers promote a VOIP program that ISNT Vanilla BF2 squad mic.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-08-2012, 01:08:35 »
The FHdevs have a ts3 server that, afaik, is open to the public (not all channels).

85.25.95.195:4128

Generally speaking though, I don't think vocal communication is necessary in most situations ingame.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-08-2012, 02:08:46 »
I'd personally love some Teamspeak action a lot since the ingame voip does not cover what I'd want to have at all. Problem is that it's public.

Suggestion

What if for example hslan and 762 admins would advertise joining teamspeak, add it to favourites and make people log into it by global message, telling people about the great teamplay it offers.

When there are some peole of each faction, you can start off with some communicating squads, which is a start. Soon you know some people and meet up with them in teamspeak more often, because you had some nice rounds together. Maybe something develops out of a start like that.

Devs could also advertise joining teamspeak in a newsupdate and present it as some kind of campaign and appeal people to do so. They even have something to fill the news with now, after the 2.45 update then ;)

Then add a nice oldschool propaganda wallpaper in that newsfield of the main menu after starting the game. "Want to play FH2? Get on teamspeak soldier!" and add the ip below.

It's so easy, but little actions can do a lot. Ifyou do nothing about it nothing will happen though.

Just one example and a personal appeal to devs and admins out there to do something about this. You have the power and it should not be too big of a deal advertising teamspeak. Maybe, one day it's part of FH2 to go on Ts to be communicating with other people.

--------

Edit: Okay, if everyone thinks it's unnecessary, forget it. I really don't know if the majority of players feels it's necessary. I personally would not say that it's totally necessary but it would improve the quality of the mod by a lot and it helps keeping the squad together and making some real squad teamwork. Also plans can be discussed more easily. At ingame voip people are often very silent or too loud. I'd personally really approve a high use of teamspeak.
« Last Edit: 10-08-2012, 02:08:29 by Surfbird »

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-08-2012, 04:08:17 »
What does Teamspeak offer that squad VOIP doesn't?

Not trolling by any means, I just don't really know what Teamspeak is all about.
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Cheesus Krighst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-08-2012, 05:08:51 »
Its the fact that players that arent in your squad are always around you and you hope that they're competent enough to work as a team.

Example: A player not in your squad is in a sherman tank in a bocage map or something, you see an enemy sneaking up on him but you have no way to warn him. The BF2 squad Voip is flawed in many ways because it prevents TEAMwork. Not squad work TEAM, TEAM work. Also VOIP promotes team play and keeps players on a server longer, i mean who doesn't like playing with players who actually talk ingame than type smack on the screen?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-08-2012, 12:08:59 »
We need Mumble one day, but I wouldn't start by making everyone used to TS before doing it... Then people might refuse to install it when it becomes available...

Yes the tank case is one of the annoying flaws of vBF2 VOIP, that coupled with the fact that squads tend to be totally spread out instead of focusing on one asset increases the number of disappointing situations that happen, where you think... ah if only I could somehow warn that guy... Maybe he wouldn't have wasted a ticket like that...

But revamping commorose to make it have more options like in BF 1942 would be a good start... Like "Fire in the hole!", "Grenade!", "Check your six!" etc.
« Last Edit: 10-08-2012, 12:08:47 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-08-2012, 13:08:57 »
What does Teamspeak offer that squad VOIP doesn't?

Not trolling by any means, I just don't really know what Teamspeak is all about.

Most important advantage of TS over VOIP is the much better quality. Two days ago I played with Djinn over the 762 TS server and I could clearly understand him. The times before when we comunicated just via VOIP it was a bit difficult to understand each other. Though I don't want to miss VOIP for fast interaction with random players and talk to my squadmates.

I think both hslan and 762 are offering a good possiblity to use TS and I saw many people come and go on the 762 TS server. But there are two major problems: people are too lazy to download TS or mumble and some of the players are really too shy. When you take them by the hand they start to talk to you. It is strange, but that's how it is. You are welcome to join the 762 TS server anytime.

http://www.762-ranking.de/forum/showthread.php?4-Teamspeak-3-Server

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10-08-2012, 23:08:55 »
Interesting. So you're able to communicate with your entire team. Does/would it get too noisy with 32 people speaking at once? Or are there different channels?
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-08-2012, 00:08:26 »
And then you have some guys with crippled English (like me) who stumble over words and fu** up all the communication because no one gets what they want to say? It really emberasses me if someone tries to talk German but I cannot understand him; I get mad at myself for not understanding him because I know how it feels when the other one doesn't understand you :S
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11-08-2012, 02:08:46 »
I would favor mumble too. The advantage of TS is the voice quality. The disadvantage is (and I've regularily seen that) that enemy can join your channel.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-08-2012, 19:08:18 »
Interesting. So you're able to communicate with your entire team. Does/would it get too noisy with 32 people speaking at once? Or are there different channels?

We sometimes have over 10 people at once in one channel and it can get indeed a bit noisy. But we usually split them up depending on the team they play for. So our playing is quiet good organized and you get everything with it out of the game especialy with 6 TS mates in one squad and two communicating SL. In some situations it's a bit difficult to manage everything, for example when you have more than five people in TS and try to lead your own squad via VOIP, but if you learn to use it, it can get alot more fun, than always sitting totaly quiet in front of the PC. That's how I started playing FH2, but now I never want to miss the communication part anymore.

Channel spying isn't a problem on 762 TS server since the people play quiet fair and know each other.

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-08-2012, 22:08:53 »
I would enjoy a kind of "direct" Voice chat. Not a whole team VOIP, that would get too messy.

I think TS3 has an option to set 3D client position. If you force that on, you could tell a tank (and maybe accidently a sneaky AT coming behind you) that he's about to get blown up if he doesn't move.

That would be an example of what TS or Mumble could offer but BF2 VOIP doesn't.

Offline Neo82

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de