Author Topic: German Telekom: 75GB max. traffic  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
Re: German Telekom: 75GB max. traffic
« Reply #15 on: 24-04-2013, 13:04:16 »
Several countries already have laws about net neutrality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality#Legal_situation

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24-04-2013, 13:04:56 »
Imagine your harddrive breaks and you need to redownload all your games from Steam. 75GB? That is maybe a dozen of games?

The problem is that the Telekom is the biggest player on the german market, owning most of the phone networks in germany. Right now the competitors advertise their limitless services already, but I believe they will set similar restrictions once the Telekom does, as they will have enough time to prepare now until 2016.

That is a bad outlook for german customers in general.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Ciupita

• Gay Lord
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24-04-2013, 13:04:33 »

I see this as a violation on Net neutrality. As other european countries already have laws, which prohibit such a download limit set by telephone companies, I am somehow sure that this wont turn out as bad as some people say. So either the limit will be set as high, that you can barely reach it or - even better - new laws (even some european) will stop such plans.

Puff, some source? In Finland it's already on for Sonera mobile users for a while. And that's only few Gbs per month, like 2 or so.

DNA and Saunalahti at least had 3GB limit some time ago.

Offline Paasky

• DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24-04-2013, 20:04:10 »

I see this as a violation on Net neutrality. As other european countries already have laws, which prohibit such a download limit set by telephone companies, I am somehow sure that this wont turn out as bad as some people say. So either the limit will be set as high, that you can barely reach it or - even better - new laws (even some european) will stop such plans.

Puff, some source? In Finland it's already on for Sonera mobile users for a while. And that's only few Gbs per month, like 2 or so.

DNA and Saunalahti at least had 3GB limit some time ago.
My Saunalahti has no limits on anything. And I have 3 of their connections (DSL, 3G USB, 3G phone).

I can't see why at least one or two companies can't create a huge PR boost by offering uncapped to customers who have come to think of that as the norm. I personally could never be a Sonera customer (in FIN) because they dare offer capped connections.
It's half naked people on boats. That's all.
Here in Finland we call that "summer".

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #19 on: 26-04-2013, 14:04:50 »
300-350gb for the whole household ofc. Still, majority of that goes for my syncings, round 200 gigs for sure.

About the net neutrality, the point is that they want to limit the bandwidth of data, BUT NOT on the own streaming services. The net neutrality law says that all date on the internet has to be treated equally, so limiting speed for other data than the own streaming service is a clear violation of said law. Thats why ISP's cant just cut your access to torrents or some special data service, since they have to handle everything equal. Means if you want to limit you, they have to limit everything or nothing, if they want to shut down something, they have to either shut down everything or nothing.

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26-04-2013, 14:04:08 »
Internet traffic limit? Seriously? Are we back in 1990's?

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-04-2013, 14:04:48 »
Unlimited here, and im from Portugal....   ::)

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-04-2013, 14:04:49 »
More like DDR in the 1980 :P Reminds me of planned economy somehow.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."