Author Topic: operation goodwood  (Read 14208 times)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: operation goodwood
« Reply #120 on: 24-04-2010, 12:04:23 »
I had the longest game I must have ever played in Goodwood. managed to hold the middle base against everything Jerry could throw at us and ordered my guys to cross the rail and take the base infront of the German base, while I and a halftruck attacked the base on the otherside of the bridge, further away from the German base. I killed the AT gun while my halftruck went charging past it and then repositioned it to face the German main.

All seemed like a perfect non-CTD day, when a Panther came by firing at me as it went. I took it out after a few misses. A hanomag also attacked, blasting with mg42 and some infantry in tow. The hanomag managed to move in the slope so I couldn't get my PAK gun low enough to fire on it and was in danger of getting shot by infantry if I rotated it to face it. The enemy halftruck got to the flag from the side and I saw the Commander 'defend' command. A few secs later, a CTD....

At the time, much of my men were holding the middle base for god knows what reason since it wasn't in danger of attack - Maybe, low RAM cuz I noted alot of idlers at the start of the game @ the main base who I had to kill and the rare instance of people climbing into the hull mg of Shermans and just sitting there.

Don't know what action was going on at that section since the Germans must have been trying to break through. I heard a few kills from panzerfausts near the rail when a few of our tanks tried to cross.

I really don't know what the issue is at this point. But after about 30 - 45 minutes of a really fun and tactically played-battle, Goodwood did what it does best

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 24-04-2010, 13:04:32 »
Bummer...

I don't think the idling is to do with low RAM, I've got 4Gb (well, 3 and a bit really  ::)) and it get it too. How many idlers do you have in the main?

I've usually got 4-6 out of 24 at any given moment.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 24-04-2010, 13:04:31 »
It depends. out of 16, I may get anything from 2 to 8! In some cases, they run to tanks and are so much on the move that even the stupid charge-drops don't get any TKs, not even the ones who dropped them

I wasn't at the middle base to see if they were idling, camping hull mgs or actually in a firefight, I was across the bridge holding out with the PAK gun. But I do notice them camping that base, mostly Germans once they have the allies' back to the wall

But here, there was still the base outside the German main, so it made no sense for them to camp the middle one

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 24-04-2010, 14:04:20 »
I dunno about Le Mes, I was just talking about the Brit main.

I sometimes get the impression that they are waiting for a particular tank to spawn, as I've seen idlers become active the moment Tank X spawns, even though there will be other empty tanks (and halftracks) sitting there.

And yeah, the Germans seem to camp at the last flag they attacked/defended, much like the Yanks do on Luttich. I think they appear to favour Le Mes because they almost always have a target within range, whereas Le Pri is further away from the Brits so they tend to migrate back towards the area between Le Mes and the Brit main to gain a target.

The idling at Le Mes could've be a simple traffic jam...the round I tried to play on the German side turned into a campfest...two Panthers, two Hanomags, and a Marder caused gridlock in that small yard.