Poll

Do you prefer to play FH2 with bots or with live people?

I only play with bots
3 (18.8%)
I only play with living people
8 (50%)
I play more with bots than with human beings
3 (18.8%)
I play more with live people than bots
1 (6.3%)
I play about half the time with bots, half with live people.
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: A survey on how many players play with bots, and how many with live people  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile
MP38 and MP40 are coded with identical recoil, but due to the quicker rate of fire the game doesn't render all the recoil frames on the MP40. This makes it fire smoother. We might fix that in the future, but it is non-trivial and also not part of weapon coding. It would require high level changes to the exe which only few people know how to do.

I did not mean that you need to make the MP-40 recoil as high as that of the MP-38. On the contrary, it would be better to make the recoil of the MP-38 as smooth as that of the MP-40, that is, to reduce it. This is an element of improving the gameplay. I think that many would vote for this if there was such a vote. If necessary, I can write it.

What is your priority now in terms of game development? Creating new maps?
I know that resources in game development are always limited. If your priority is to create new maps, then I could write a vote on what is more important for FH2 fans - creating new maps, or improving the gameplay. It seems to me that the majority would vote for the priority to improve the gameplay.
« Last Edit: 05-11-2021, 21:11:24 by Pa3ym2 »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
I think you are not understanding me: This phenomenon is not related to weapon recoil settings, but the game tickrate and how recoil frames are rendered. It is not something we can easily fix.

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile
I think you are not understanding me: This phenomenon is not related to weapon recoil settings, but the game tickrate and how recoil frames are rendered. It is not something we can easily fix.

I got it. The fact that you said that sometime in the future this can be corrected is already good. It makes me happy. But I think you will have to divert the time of the developers of the mod for this from something else. What else are you doing now? What's your other priority? Is the creation of new maps a priority? I think most fans of the game would like to prioritize improving the gameplay over creating new maps. I think when choosing between these two priorities, most fans would vote to improve the gameplay instead of creating new maps. If necessary, I can write such a vote.

People will play little on new maps if the gameplay is burdened with a number of unpleasant things that make it much worse than it could be. For the same reason, you have a fairly small influx of new audiences. I can tell you what exactly would be worth changing to improve the gameplay.
« Last Edit: 05-11-2021, 21:11:44 by Pa3ym2 »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
What else are you doing now? What's your other priority? Is the creation of new maps a priority? I think most fans of the game would like to prioritize improving the gameplay over creating new maps. I think when choosing between these two priorities, most fans would vote to improve the gameplay instead of creating new maps. If necessary, I can write such a vote.

People will play little on new maps if the gameplay is burdened with a number of unpleasant things that make it much worse than it could be. For the same reason, you have a fairly small influx of new audiences. I can tell you what exactly would be worth changing to improve the gameplay.

First, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I'm glad there's still people who are very passionate about Forgotten Hope, I know I certainly am :)

I will say that at this time, the current developers of this mod are focused on multiplayer gameplay. So yes, we're working on creating new maps, new guns, vehicles etc... to give our players new content. Singleplayer is unfortunately not a priority of ours. I understand there are a lot of people who play this game who only play singleplayer, but the majority of our developers are better equipped to mod the multiplayer side of the game.

Singleplayer in Battlefield 2 was more of an afterthought by DICE, and as such, lots of aspects about it are hardcoded and not easy to make meaningful changes to. Not to mention that the amount of people out there who both know how to mod singleplayer for this game and want to mod for such an old engine are few and far between. So just as the original Battlefield 2 game focused on multiplayer with singleplayer added on as an option for some maps, Forgotten Hope 2 is doing the same; we're a multiplayer focused game and when we have time and resources we try to attend to singleplayer issues as best we can.

We don't currently believe that our "gameplay is burdened with a number of unpleasant things that make it much worse than it could be" with regards to our multiplayer gameplay. There's certainly some things we'd like to improve, but they are not related to the singleplayer at this time.

That being said, we are always looking for people who are able to make improvements to our singleplayer side of the game; namely making navmeshes & GPOs for new maps so they can be enjoyed by the singleplayer community as soon as possible. However, outside of providing new content, there's not much we can do. I believe that our singleplayer already incorporates most, if not all changes/ improvements that every other Battlefield 2 mod includes. If there's something that they've done that we haven't incorporated yet, it could be something we could look into.

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile
We don't currently believe that our "gameplay is burdened with a number of unpleasant things that make it much worse than it could be" with regards to our multiplayer gameplay. There's certainly some things we'd like to improve, but they are not related to the singleplayer at this time.

You may have mistakenly thought that I was suggesting gameplay improvements in bot mode, but I didn't mean it. I also meant the multiplayer mode of play with other players. Here I can advise what it would be better to change for the better to make the gameplay more enjoyable. One such example is the overestimated recoil of the first shot in the line of submachine guns http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=22319.0
Because of it, it is impossible to shoot from submachine guns in short bursts of 2-3 rounds at distances of 100 meters. I think you will not argue that in addition to the game mode with bots, this disadvantage also worsens the network mode with live players.
There are several other similar disadvantages.
I can help in the sense that to draw your attention to them, perhaps suggest how it would be better to change it, and put it to the vote of the fans so that it would be clear whether the fans want it or not. I have experience in such things. I wrote similar changes for the games The Long Dark, Commulative pack 2.1, Stalker Misery falk mod 2.3 and some of them were implemented by the developers in these games.

Tell me on your forum in the topic "Suggestions" is there a limit on the number of topics and votes?
« Last Edit: 05-11-2021, 22:11:49 by Pa3ym2 »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Tell me on your forum in the topic "Suggestions" is there a limit on the number of topics and votes?

You're free to make suggestions on this forum, but keep in mind that it is mostly "dead." The majority of our users have moved to discord at this point. While we do check here once in a while, you won't get many responses apart from long time veterans who know about this site or new users who've stumbled on it.

Regarding suggestions; you're technically free to make as many as you'd like. However, I'd also keep in mind that the developers of this game are made up mostly of people who've been playing this mod for 10+ years. We also know a lot about what the BF2 engine is and isn't capable of, so many suggestions usually fall into 2 categories;
-desired but not possible
-not desired

Not to discourage people from asking new things, but keep that in mind when making a suggestion. We also have rules against spam on this forum and our discord, so many new threads popping up with suggestions and getting no responses can become useless spam very easily.

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile

You're free to make suggestions on this forum, but keep in mind that it is mostly "dead."

The forum is "dead" because the gameplay in terms of firefights with small arms since version 2.4 has slightly deteriorated due to the fact that you increased the recoil of submachine guns, removed the crosshairs from the screen, and made some other changes that made the shooting process worse than it was. I myself have been playing FH2 with bots since 2009 and I remember what the first versions 2.0, 2.1 were like. In these first versions, the shooting process with small arms was more enjoyable than it is now. I have some guesses why, starting with version 2.4, you did this and how to fix it so that it would be better.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
That's a... bold statement to make :D I think the forum is "dead" because we (along with most modern games) have switched over to communicating on discord. The years of IRC and forums are about at an end, so our community has moved and grown elsewhere. Make no mistake, this forum is dead, but FH2 is alive and well. We have many people that enjoy the game, and I'm glad for that. That's why we're still taking the time to develop the mod and add new content more than a decade later.

I don't think you'll find many here who share your sentiment that the shooting process has gotten 'worse' over each release. In fact, I know that I and many other devs feel that this has only been improved upon; the removal of the crosshair and other changes were welcome additions to our multiplayer gameplay.

In other words, a lot of us are satisfied with the direction that FH2 has taken as it's grown, and we hope to keep it growing in that direction in the future.

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile
Matthew_Baker and Ts4EVER please tell me if my assumption is correct that you increased the recoil of submachine guns in version 2.3 because they were too powerful a weapon and too many people chose them as the main one, not only at close range but also on rough terrain?

And was it influenced by the fact that for the same reason you removed the crosshairs from the screen?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
My man, 2.3 was released over a decade ago (damn, time flies), I pretty sure even Ts4EVER wasn't a dev back then lol neither of us can speak to why the devs from 10 years ago did what they did. However, I can personally say that I enjoy the removal of the crosshair and how SMGs perform in-game right now, and that we have no real plans to change that at the moment.

Offline CptdeS35

• View Profile
If the result of the poll doesn't please you, will you delete it as you did for the previous one ?
FH2 Dev (wait seriously ?)

Offline Pa3ym2

• View Profile
If the result of the poll doesn't please you, will you delete it as you did for the previous one ?

It is unlikely that moderation will delete my polls even if she does not like the results of these polls