Author Topic: How about a Chinese Front?  (Read 12881 times)

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
Re: How about a Chinese Front?
« Reply #60 on: 24-05-2010, 00:05:16 »

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24-05-2010, 00:05:30 »
(what in the hell Greece higher than China?!)
That's just causalities as a percentage of pre-war population. Greece lost way fewer soldiers but also obviously has a much smaller population.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24-05-2010, 00:05:52 »
You do have to admit that there are more everyday players ever since the Americans came in.
But North American traffic is still down. More players, but not from North America

I Hope God gives me good Modelling Skills, with them i would do the stuff we need for a Chinese Theater!

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24-05-2010, 03:05:19 »
No. But its statics would be more than enough to create the map itself. But then theres lack of equipment and soldiers. But porting = no go, even its an OK map.

Why no such porting? It'd add diversity (a big one) if they really reskinned the Chinese player models and when the Japanese army is ready. I'd imagine two ported maps would be great for a minipatch

1. Wake-1941   Japanese vs US          Naval firepower, air combat, land combat, old US rifles/equipments
2. Great Wall 1937    Japanese vs China(nationalist)           Land combat, close quaters, rare guns.
3. Somewhere in Manchuria 1945     Japanese vs Soviet Union, perhaps a battle with Soviet Paratrooper vs Japanese airfield garrison, SOVIET PARATROOPERS!

I'd really love to see, and I think they'll be as popular as OP. Totalize too. Plus you leave 2x fanmapping possibility, that would be really nice to the community. Plus there would be crowds of "Chinese netizens" who are willing to fill up the Chinese side of the battlefield... right?

(Of course, somehow I foresaw some Chinese servers setting up 50 people on the Chinese side and 16 on the Japanese...LOL)
« Last Edit: 24-05-2010, 03:05:11 by General_Henry »

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24-05-2010, 03:05:04 »
No. But its statics would be more than enough to create the map itself. But then theres lack of equipment and soldiers. But porting = no go, even its an OK map.

3. Somewhere in Manchuria 1945     Japanese vs Soviet Union, perhaps a battle with Soviet Paratrooper vs Japanese airfield garrison, SOVIET PARATROOPERS!

Soviet paratroopers actually had a lot of major drops during the war, a lot of opportunities to get them in... Operation Mars, anyone?

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #65 on: 24-05-2010, 03:05:22 »
Soviet Russia + Paratrooper Map = Cake + Kittens

I can't imagine how awesome that would be.  It must happen.  It must.

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 24-05-2010, 04:05:26 »
I'm sorry but have these forums become a giant wet dream, where we imagine everything that will never be?
Seriously? It's going to take 1-2 years to make the Eastern Front! Besides there is so much incomplete stuff atm. The Italians don't have most of their gear!!!! We only just touched on Europe! Think of how awesome Operation Market Garden would be? Or the The buldge? 

Stop dreaming about stuff and come back to reality.....
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 24-05-2010, 09:05:00 »
In Soviet Russia, paratroopers drop you! Also, thinking of owning Japanese tanks in Pz2 is so cool that one has to be allowed to dream such dreams.

And saying "porting is bad, mmmkay?" doesn't really work because of Totalize. OK, it's just the heightmap that's ported (or are flags/OOB as well?), none of the statics - but surely there was an early development version with placeholders, and if vanilla statics are from the Far East, well...

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 24-05-2010, 10:05:16 »
It does work if Im to decide. I rather make a map than port it. So suck it up.

Offline MerugopXL

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 24-05-2010, 11:05:58 »
Forgive me for being slightly OT but do you know why the Chinese are less popular a WWII subject among those with an interest in WWII?    They lost around 20 million people during WWII. Their combat related deaths only surpassed by Germany and Russia.  One would think those kinds of losses would at least bring them infamy but surprisingly little seems to be mentioned of them during WWII in regards to most publications on the subject.
The reason can be found in one of the diary's of a Japanese soldier who fought in China
"For every soldier they shot we shot 10 more"
"There was no resistance serious enought to form a thread"

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 24-05-2010, 15:05:13 »
I'm sorry but have these forums become a giant wet dream, where we imagine everything that will never be?
No? Have you seen indications to the contrary somewhere?

It's going to take 1-2 years to make the Eastern Front! Besides there is so much incomplete stuff atm. The Italians don't have most of their gear!!!! We only just touched on Europe! Think of how awesome Operation Market Garden would be? Or the The buldge?
What is your point? I think I missed the part in the rules that says only to suggest stuff that is close to being made already.

Stop dreaming about stuff and come back to reality.....
You're in a suggestions forum. Dreaming is kinda what they are for ::).

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 24-05-2010, 16:05:52 »
Forgive me for being slightly OT but do you know why the Chinese are less popular a WWII subject among those with an interest in WWII?    They lost around 20 million people during WWII. Their combat related deaths only surpassed by Germany and Russia.  One would think those kinds of losses would at least bring them infamy but surprisingly little seems to be mentioned of them during WWII in regards to most publications on the subject.
The reason can be found in one of the diary's of a Japanese soldier who fought in China
"For every soldier they shot we shot 10 more"
"There was no resistance serious enought to form a thread"

It depends on which Chinese units and which battles, I think there were battles which the Japanese were defeated with high casualties... Man, what do you expect from the Chinese, which many are only equipped with melee weapons?

Offline Hresvelgr

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 24-05-2010, 17:05:39 »
From a history standpoint I agree. From a gameplay standpoint: Almost no tanks, no smgs, no semi auto rifles mostly...

No smgs is kind of a myth I think . Not sure about the Japanese, although I'm sure they had plenty of MP-18s. The Chinese also had many MP-18s that they produced, in addition to M1928 Tommy Guns. There were plenty of tanks, albeit mostly light and almost all were old. So semi-autos doesn't stop North Africa from being fun either, and besides, the Chinese did have some Czech-made semi-auto rifles. Not many, but some...

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 24-05-2010, 17:05:26 »
No smgs is not a myth. Most of the MP18 copies were issued to SNLF units and the Type 100s were exclusively used by paratroopers. Near the end of the war most newly produced smgs like the Type 100/44 or the Type 2 "Bullpup" were hold back for use in the defense of Japan (which never happened obviously). The normal Japanese infantry squad had 12 guys, one carrying a machinegun and the rest with rifles.

Offline Hresvelgr

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 24-05-2010, 20:05:11 »
No smgs is not a myth. Most of the MP18 copies were issued to SNLF units and the Type 100s were exclusively used by paratroopers. Near the end of the war most newly produced smgs like the Type 100/44 or the Type 2 "Bullpup" were hold back for use in the defense of Japan (which never happened obviously). The normal Japanese infantry squad had 12 guys, one carrying a machinegun and the rest with rifles.

I did say I wasn't too sure about Japan, but I know the Chinese had plenty enough to cause lots of Japanese casualties in Shanghai.