Author Topic: Pegasus Bridge 64  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Pegasus Bridge 64
« on: 07-02-2016, 03:02:39 »
"If you have a suggestions or want to give us some Feedback about this Map you can Post it here!"

« Last Edit: 09-02-2016, 22:02:48 by Ts4EVER »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Pegasus Bridge 64
« Reply #1 on: 13-06-2016, 17:06:57 »
2.52 changelog for Pegasus 64

- Benouville chateau area more eye candy, Grass, terrain painting and new Column lightmaps

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-08-2016, 13:08:35 »
Just want to say I really love this map. The map looks amazing, as always, and the atmosphere is really well done.

Also like the fact that the Germans attack from two sides. Sometimes the Brits tend to forget to defend one side and they keep defending control points that are no longer their biggest worry ;). But, I've had plenty of decent games, also on the smaller layers.

So all in all, well done! This map could be used in a documentary really, if one wanted to :).

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-08-2016, 23:08:09 »
....This map could be used in a documentary really, if one wanted to :).

Someone correct me, but I think some of FH2s tank models, planes, whatever were used in a documentary once. (The devs allowed them to be used) :D

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-01-2018, 19:01:37 »
Hm. I recent discussion on discord got me an improvement idea. I usually like the idea on playing in the underdog team.

However, this map is almost impossible to win for allies in public play, because the allies team is rarely organized and split between north and south. The map looks really awesome, but gameplay feels flawed. Therefore it would be sad, if it wouldnt be reworked.

How about something like the following: Split the map in two phases. Let the germans first attack the south. Once they have reached and captured Horsa bridge, they recieve spawns in the north (Chateau and St Aubin). Then the fight is played over the last three flags in the north. And the germans can only win, if the finally push over pegasus bridge. This would make a spectacular highlight and nice "story based" gameplay feeling. The only open questions is, if the germans should be able to also push over Horsa bridge or if this bridge should just be made out of bounce for the germans.

You dont even have to fear "back" capping, if the germans only recieve spawns in the north with the capture of Horsa bridge. And if you make this bridge out of bounds for axis, they have to spawn in the north. The only question is, if you allow a counterattack on Horsa for allies or not.

This idea will make the whole map still be played and would only require a rework of the push code. Comments?
« Last Edit: 05-01-2018, 19:01:58 by Oberst »

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-01-2018, 03:01:09 »
I do tend to agree that the map could benefit from moving some players to the south. Right now player densities at the southern flags tends to be quite low, since the Germans seem to break through in the north usually which means most players end up at that front. This means that it's also pretty easy for the germans to sneak in from the south and backcap Horsa bridge once Pegasus falls, even if few of the other southern flags have been captured.

I wouldn't go as far as to block off the north entirely though, and making it open part way through the round has the potential to disorganize the Brits even worse, since SLs may not have time to reposition up to the northern flags before the Germans get there.  Also, Horsa would have to stay open, otherwise Germans at the sourthern flags would have no where to go and have to suicide.

I think player counts could be shifted towards the south more gracefully if the Pz.IV at the northwest flag was removed, or if camping Pegasus with it was made more difficult (e.g. adding more line of sight blocking terrain around the northern edge of the bridge to force the Pz.IV into PIAT range).
« Last Edit: 06-01-2018, 03:01:05 by Nerdsturm »

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-01-2018, 12:01:45 »
mhm. I see your point. Why do people fight in the north? They want to fight over pegasus. Thats the whole point of the entire map. This needs to be the highlight and the goal. I do, however, not see any solution, where just a little change in equipment balance will change anything. The map progression needs to be redesigned. To be more "linearized". The 16 player (32 version is the night attack?) version is quite nice, where you fight linear over the bridge. And I would love to see something like this on a larger scale with the cool equipment and awesome positions to fight over.

The problem is - and that what the map designer has some how to solve - How to portray an encirclement in a chaotic online game? Didn't Ts4ever state that there even had been a fourth german attack route in early stages of map design?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-01-2018, 20:01:31 »
Why do people fight in the north?
People fight in the north because they want to win ;) And in the north there are less flags you need to cap before you can go for the bridge.

There are plans for next release to lower the amount of tickets (I believe halved even), so the allies have more of a chance to win. As of right now they have to hold off the Germans for some 45 minutes which is quite long on this map. It's not impossible though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC_WoZSzwl4

PS: you are right about the initial plan for this map: Germans would attack from all four corners towards the bridges.