Author Topic: [Vehicle] Fiat CV-35 - input, etc  (Read 7627 times)

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
Re: [Vehicle] Fiat CV-35 - input, etc
« Reply #15 on: 28-01-2014, 00:01:17 »
Okay, I've been tweaking the model to get the poly count down:

It's now 3500 without the track assembly. I took the headlights off, as well, to reduce poly-count but also because some of the CV-35s at Bardia didn't have them (just a socket for them).

I'll continue to work on the track assembly.

----

My apologies if I've team-killed you.

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30-01-2014, 09:01:04 »
I've managed to get it down to 3175 polys (excluding track assembly). Does anyone know what the limits are for poly-counts?

I'm also working on texturing.

----

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-01-2014, 17:01:57 »
Cant wait to see the result.  8)

Is there any chance of this vehicle being integrated in the next official release if it fits "The Gold Standard" when finished?

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-01-2014, 21:01:37 »
Cant wait to see the result.  8)

Is there any chance of this vehicle being integrated in the next official release if it fits "The Gold Standard" when finished?

I don't know what "The Gold Standard" is, so your guess is as good as mine  ;).

----

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-01-2014, 21:01:18 »
10.000 TRIS
complete model + tracks + wheels etc.

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31-01-2014, 19:01:21 »
10.000 TRIS
complete model + tracks + wheels etc.

Excellent, I think I can keep it under that limit.

----

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-03-2014, 02:03:14 »
any progress on this?  :)

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-10-2014, 08:10:54 »
any progress on this?  :)

Just getting back to it - I was quite busy the last few months. I'm working on finalizing the 3D model, and am also working on the texture aspect ( :P).

I'm hoping for it to be done in two weeks.

----

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-10-2014, 11:10:33 »
great news! can't wait for the final result  :D

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-10-2014, 09:10:27 »
Nice! ;)
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20-10-2014, 10:10:07 »
Okay, so I've been working on texturing the tank and I've run into a few situations where I'm unsure of how to proceed.

In particular:

How do I deal with moving objects on the tank (e.g. wheels, turret)?

That is, are they textured separately (I'm thinking of a separate image file for the unwrap)? or in the same image?

Does it matter how the moving parts are placed in the file? (e.g. can the turret be next to the tank?)

Also, what dimensions should I use? I'm currently testing with a 1024x1024 image. Should it be a higher res?

I've managed to unwrap, paint, and apply the resulting texture/image to the vehicle, but it looks like I'm going to have to be careful about how things are unwrapped (e.g. stretching).

I think that's it for questions at the moment. I'm slowly getting the hang of texturing this darn tank. ;)

----

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20-10-2014, 12:10:20 »
Hi. I'm no modeler, but i will try to answer a few of your questions:

Movable objects or not, they're all treated the same way. For reference you can check out the textures of the Fh2 tanks. Although, tracks and wheel normally get their own texture.

Example. M5a1_Stuart

Main texture, includes tank, turret and accesories. Size 2048x1024
Wheel texture, contains wheels and sprockets: 512x512
Track texture: 256x128

Does it matter how the moving parts are placed in the file? (e.g. can the turret be next to the tank?)

I'm not completely sure what you mean. But i guess you're talking about the hierarchy of the file? It's less important now during modeling and texturing. But when it comes to exporting, there's a pretty specific way you have to name and place stuff in order to get it to export, get the wheels turning, and tracks animated etc. Deal with the model and texture first, and i'll help you with the export when it's time.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20-10-2014, 15:10:17 »
Hi.

Always look at past models/textures for references, if you see here, the M5a1_Stuart's (keeping on the same mindset as Stubbfan) folder:

http://i.imgur.com/P9qKYUE.jpg

Make sure you open up those files, to get a good idea of how fh2 devs do it. Especially the texture files. :)
I'm not exactly sure myself, but I think the devs texture the tanks by using the "bundledmesh material", and using different texture slots for the main texture and tracks?

Hopefully someone else has better insight into this, good luck. :)

Regards
« Last Edit: 20-10-2014, 20:10:10 by Roughbeak »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20-10-2014, 16:10:29 »
How do I deal with moving objects on the tank (e.g. wheels, turret)?
That is, are they textured separately (I'm thinking of a separate image file for the unwrap)? or in the same image?

Tracks/ wheels usually go on a separate image from what I've seen for other FH2 vehicles. But that's normally because FH2 uses the same tracks texture for several different vehicles. e.g. pzIII M/N etc.. uses the same tracks texture, so no need to waste texture space on the body sheet if you already have the tracks texture from another vehicle.

If you're talking about the texture sheet and how parts should be UVed than no it doesn't matter. Just as long as you follow some basic UVing rules they can be placed anywhere on the texture sheet.

Also, what dimensions should I use? I'm currently testing with a 1024x1024 image. Should it be a higher res?

General rule of thumb is to use a square if you don't need a rectangle, that way the file size is smaller in the end. However, that being said, most FH2 vehicles are 2048X1024 so I'd go with that for the body of the vehicle.

I've managed to unwrap, paint, and apply the resulting texture/image to the vehicle, but it looks like I'm going to have to be careful about how things are unwrapped (e.g. stretching).

Yessss ;) UVing is probably one of the hardest and most tedious parts of modeling/ texturing.

Usually you wanna start by unwrapping everything at the same size (so don't scale anything just yet) (uncheck normalize map iirc) while you're doing this you can weld similar parts with the same smoothing groups or where it's logical to connect them with each other.

From there comes UV packing :P (I hate this part) that's where you try to fit together an impossible puzzle of the parts you just unwrapped into whatever texture sheet you've set for yourself.

general rules of thumb with packing;
larger parts that are seen more by the player should get more texture space.
Pack everything as tightly as humanly possible to make the most of the texture sheet you're working with. But also be mindful of pixel bleeding
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189-modding-tutorials/90244-pixel-bleeding.html
avoid distorting the proportions of your objects wherever possible. e.g. if you're gonna scale a part do it while holding shift to keep its same proportions so there's no pixel stretching.

TBH it might be helpful to post your UV sheet and model here as you go through the process. UVing is very important and we can help you make sure you don't have to do it again from scratch ;)   

Offline NotOnymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20-10-2014, 23:10:45 »
Hi. I'm no modeler, but i will try to answer a few of your questions:

Movable objects or not, they're all treated the same way. For reference you can check out the textures of the Fh2 tanks. Although, tracks and wheel normally get their own texture.

Example. M5a1_Stuart

Main texture, includes tank, turret and accesories. Size 2048x1024
Wheel texture, contains wheels and sprockets: 512x512
Track texture: 256x128

I'm not completely sure what you mean. But i guess you're talking about the hierarchy of the file? It's less important now during modeling and texturing. But when it comes to exporting, there's a pretty specific way you have to name and place stuff in order to get it to export, get the wheels turning, and tracks animated etc. Deal with the model and texture first, and i'll help you with the export when it's time.

Thanks for the clarification.

I downloaded this, since it was recommended somewhere (to open DDS files in Photoshop): https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload#?dn=texture-tools-for-adobe-photoshop-8-55

Is it necessary for texturing, or just nice to have (that is, beyond opening DDS)?

--

Sorry for not being clearer. I was thinking of the 3D model itself. Are the 3D elements in one file placed in a certain way?

Also, are there any guidelines for grouping faces? (Not sure what the correct term for that is)

----