Author Topic: Modders around?  (Read 13561 times)

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
Re: Modders around?
« Reply #30 on: 03-04-2009, 15:04:16 »
I did a tractor and teddy bear for a mod once.

RAD!
* Joe Hugs Rad :-*

I'll post my story with some pics soon :P

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #31 on: 03-04-2009, 16:04:29 »
Ooooh how did I miss that?
I Honour Thou, Almighty Rad!
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Gunnie

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03-04-2009, 21:04:29 »
Gunnie/Trahn! Good to see you hear man  :) It's me Invictus.

Hey!!!!!  ;D

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-04-2009, 22:04:42 »
Started to learn how to edit skins for FH1 about half a year ago, and also some editing of codes, then found out how editor42 works...yep, and thats it :P

to sum it up: noob coder, lousy at skinning, and a wanna-be mapper  ;D

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04-04-2009, 03:04:59 »
I myself had an early interest for making games. Always wanted to. Then I finally got my hands on BF1942 in early 2003 and downloaded mods such as DC, BF Pirates, and when it came out, FH1. Played them to death. Picked up early in the modding scene, tried making maps for DC but not with much success. Atleast I got the technical aspect of the game in. After a couple months I tried making my own mod, but never got very far. Had a couple handweapons which I coded ingame, such as a katana and a sniper rifle, on a testmap with reskinned player models. I basically attempted modifying some lines of code and exported a couple models (which is A LOT easier in BF1942).

After a while I gave up modding. Went to join a BF Pirates 1 clan which I stayed in for a couple years, had an awesome time. After Lawrence Brown (the guy who created BFP1 almost by himself) got hired by EA, he handed responsibillity of BFP1 development over to the community and bunnysnot, this is where I got a bit back into modding. When BF2 was almost released, Detrux got together a bunch of the modders in the community including myself to work on BFP2. Lawrence had made us an early alpha even while working at EA. Here I slowly lost interest and quit around early 2006. Quit the modding scene and the BF2 scene for the most part. Still occasionally played FH1 though.

When FH2 came out I started playing it big time. Not much to talk about, until in September I mentioned on the forums I had modding experience, after which Fenring asked me to tryout as an applicant. I coded ingame the StG44 and the semovente 75/18, which due to complications isn't in FH2, export scene was to buggy and textures were arranged in BF1942 format. However it worked, but the FH2 devs wanted more. I coded in an initial export of the M10 tank destroyer, after which I got accepted as a dev. After being accepted as an FH2 dev I could pretty much choose from the vast selection of models that were made for FH2. Naturally my focus has been handweapons, so I coded most of the stuff Seth had made. My only contribution to 2.15 is the geballte ladung grenade though. Since I had coded most weapons before 2.15 was released, we instantly started testing Normandy afterwards. Since then I've coded nearly all the handweapons ingame for Normandy, and the Shermans which I polished up today and made duplicates which use the British skin (except the hedgerow cutter). I've also done a few bug fixes, and some other major improvement which you'll see more of soon hopefully. There's still quite a few vehicles left to code, so I gotta get some sleep and back to work. G'night.
« Last Edit: 04-04-2009, 04:04:08 by Kev4000 »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04-04-2009, 04:04:42 »
You are my Hero Kev.. now the Italians has an awesome Tank called "Semovente".

Also.. Semovente was in FH2 since.. (?).. we found it in a pic before it was announced.

Offline Herc

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04-04-2009, 04:04:35 »
Started to learn how to edit skins for FH1 about half a year ago, and also some editing of codes, then found out how editor42 works...yep, and thats it :P

to sum it up: noob coder, lousy at skinning, and a wanna-be mapper  ;D

we all have to start somewhere :)

btw, great work Kev, interesting story.
« Last Edit: 04-04-2009, 04:04:11 by Herc »

azreal

« Reply #37 on: 04-04-2009, 04:04:32 »
pfft who wants to code handweapons! you should have chosen to work on the planes for FH2 :D

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04-04-2009, 18:04:46 »
You are my Hero Kev.. now the Italians has an awesome Tank called "Semovente".

Also.. Semovente was in FH2 since.. (?).. we found it in a pic before it was announced.

There's two semoventes. Check the FH1 italian tank's page. Problem was I exported it with 5 different textures. For BF2 these should all be merged onto one sheet for optimization. Since everyone was to lazy to fix that, it didn't appear in 2.15, besides only Mareth could use it. If we ever go Italy I might finish it off.

Offline elander

• [DLF]
    • View Profile
    • Den Lede Fi
« Reply #39 on: 05-04-2009, 02:04:15 »

<3 Rad Rad Rad!!!

Disclaimer - Personal Opinions are not shared with DLF

Offline fh_spitfire

• Developer
  • FHer since 0.6 | aka spitfire05
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05-04-2009, 10:04:16 »
Glad to see you still around! :)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09-04-2009, 20:04:13 »
bump

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09-04-2009, 20:04:23 »
ok Toddel...
Started "leveldesign" in 1988 writing "pen n paper" missions/adventures etc for friends (yes I'm old) with maps etc to it, stopped that sometime in the beginning of the 90's though..
Started in 1999 making some levels for CS, dont know what version it was, didn't care either as I didn't like the game, however I got a taste for leveldesign by using their Editor "WorldCraft".
In 2002 bf42 came and I haven't really played a lot of other games except bf42, RtR, swoWW2, BFV etc since then (apart from some singleplayer games, and ofcourse Operation Flashpoint!).

Anyway in bf42 I started vanilla custom mapping immediately, moved to BFV in 2004 for some more maps, and made an infantry mod called "BFV Grunts", later moved to bf42 InfantryMod making "Infantry Mappack", then almost 3 years ago joined Forgotten Honor as I considered bf42 vanilla and all other mods dead, and/or irrelevant.. (except EoD which has one of my maps "Deserters Island").
In any case FHT was the place to learn advanced mapping, as you work with "live" players, in a team...(with very clear design/goal/purpose, something that "freelance" mappers dont have, which is the reason free-hand mapping is difficult in Battlefield games... making maps is not hard - finding or creating a context for where they should be used is the hard part, remember that!) made many maps there, released "Lost Soldiers" mappack, later on also the Expansion to FH1 "Forgotten Honor Mod". Then entered FH2 about a year ago and am now working on Normandy.

Simultaneously Im taking a GameDesign program, learning, well design which is pretty much "how to make a game" incl 3D art, project-leading etc etc etc...(a game is a lot harder to make than you think) Hopefully it will lead to work. The end.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09-04-2009, 21:04:48 »
Good story.  :)

Now... someone drag Joe in here. He does some unique things  ;D.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #44 on: 09-04-2009, 21:04:22 »
Nice history Natty. Though you didn't joined the FH2 team 1 year ago, I am quite confident it was fall/winter 2008. Or atleast then it was announced. Since a year ago I joined the FH forums. (well 13 months, but that doesn't matter  :()
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."