Author Topic: [Map] Faid Pass  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
[Map] Faid Pass
« on: 23-08-2013, 19:08:36 »
This is an update to my previous map Sidi Bou Zid, which was in need of an update since there is now an official map of that battle.

This is currently a WIP version, although it should be playable. Mostly all it needs is new lightmaps, but I decided to release an initial version first to find mistakes before I regenerate those, and I also wanted to see if anyone experiences crashes or lag on the map, which I haven't had any recent problems with but I have a relatively powerful computer. If at least a couple people could try loading it and see how it runs it would be helpful.

Download Link
Alternative Link
Updated 17 Sept 2013

I decided to go for a layout similar to FH0.7's Desert Rose, which I always really liked. Namely, it has two mostly independent areas of the map, where the city is more important to capture in terms of bleed, but the airfield flags grant useful equipment.

Minimap.

The French Battery flag is capturable by whichever team holds the airfield, even though the red 'X'  always is displayed. The airfield is the only flag at which aircraft spawn, but each main base has an airstrip for rearming aircraft.

Other images.

« Last Edit: 18-09-2013, 04:09:33 by Nerdsturm »

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Re: [Map] Faid Pass
« Reply #1 on: 23-08-2013, 20:08:39 »
Woah muma! This has lots of detail.  :o It has been plenty of time since no custom map showed up. Thanks for this! Gonna put up a review ASAP. Does it have SP?

EDIT: Gamefront isnt available in Turkey :( Can you give me an alternate link?
« Last Edit: 23-08-2013, 20:08:38 by Turkish007 »

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-08-2013, 20:08:29 »
Here's a Dropbox link

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-08-2013, 20:08:06 »
Thanks a lot :)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-08-2013, 21:08:57 »
Looks epic! We definitely need more maps for USA in North Africa.

I wish I had the patience to map, but everytime I fire up the editor I instantly ragequit becuase of all its quirks.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-08-2013, 22:08:29 »
I just checked it out, all I can say is WOW!

My mouth is drooling. This is definately a quailty map. With a few improvements made, it could easily be the same rank map with an official one.

Will post my bug reports tomorrow I guess.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-08-2013, 22:08:59 »
I will ALWAYS support a USA North Africa Map ;)

First Impressions:

I had a quick look around and it has a pretty nice feel overall. :) Kind of a Mareth Line type of feel.

Things I love.

I LOVE the possibility of infantry fighting in that town 8) it has a nice road for the tanks to roll through and all sorts of little paths and buildings for the infantry to fight in. Very good overall.

I also love the french battery flag. same thing, feel like alot of good infantry fights can occur up there. Reminds me alot of the Tel el Aqqaqir flag on supercharge.

I REALLY like the clever use of statics. The US main bases and outposts felt very cool and thrown together out in the desert. The outposts were well done.

Some things that threw me off were mostly on the atmosphere and making me 'feel' as if I'm in a real place.

-There were some times in the town where it looked as if statics didn't really go together. Some Cretian statics next to some tunisian statics kinda hurt the eye. Otherwise on the whole you did a good job of mixing them well like they go together. That could've been lightmapping tho.

-They layout of the town, while awesome for infantry fighting, didn't really feel like a town. The layout of the buildings was confusing and seemed 'artificial' to make avenues of attack on purpose. (which it is) It felt like the town itself was set up as a defense point, not the military obstacles inside. Idk how to convey what I mean.

Also the airfield felt a little cramped. All of them kind did, I'd move the runway a little more away from the crowded infantry fighting around & make it longer.

Overall tho the map was very good and I think the gameplay there could turn out really awesome. I'd love to try it on a server. ;D   

One question I have is why the British vehicles & kits and the M4A3 sherman? I'm assuming the use of the M4A3 is for balance, but the british vehicles seem very out of place. Unless they're placholders for something. (like the Bishop?) If your'e looking for Brits/whomever & USA fighting together then I'd suggest giving them their own outpost where their vehicles & kits are. Maybe throwing in some of their own classes... more realistic.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-08-2013, 22:08:10 »
here it looked as if statics didn't really go together. Some Cretian statics next to some tunisian statics kinda hurt the eye. Otherwise on the whole you did a good job of mixing them well like they go together. That could've been lightmapping tho.

The eclectic statics (which is a bit ugly, I agree) mostly result from how hilly the town is. I would prefer to mostly just stick to the Mareth statics, but they're not very tall and could be shot over in too many places.

-They layout of the town, while awesome for infantry fighting, didn't really feel like a town. The layout of the buildings was confusing and seemed 'artificial' to make avenues of attack on purpose. (which it is) It felt like the town itself was set up as a defense point, not the military obstacles inside. Idk how to convey what I mean.
Could be, I'm not a city planner but I get the impression most towns do have more than one road.

One question I have is why the British vehicles & kits and the M4A3 sherman? I'm assuming the use of the M4A3 is for balance, but the british vehicles seem very out of place. Unless they're placholders for something. (like the Bishop?) If your'e looking for Brits/whomever & USA fighting together then I'd suggest giving them their own outpost where their vehicles & kits are. Maybe throwing in some of their own classes... more realistic.
The US needed mobile artillery, and the Bishop is the only vehicle available to fill that role that I'm aware of. I probably just stuck Shermans of whatever variant on the map and forgot to go back and change them since they all look the same to me, I'll make sure to switch them to M4's.

The pickup kits have some odd weapons just because the default options for those kits aren't appropriate for the map. Is it possible to make custom pickup kits for a map?

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-08-2013, 23:08:48 »
The US needed mobile artillery, and the Bishop is the only vehicle available to fill that role that I'm aware of. I probably just stuck Shermans of whatever variant on the map and forgot to go back and change them since they all look the same to me, I'll make sure to switch them to M4's.

The pickup kits have some odd weapons just because the default options for those kits aren't appropriate for the map. Is it possible to make custom pickup kits for a map?

Makes sense :) if you're gonna go back and replace the Brit vehicles too then you also have a Brit half track at airfield I think.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-08-2013, 13:08:12 »
First of all, after reading what Baker wrote, I aggree with him, he made good statements. I got some bug reports, but not much, because this map is beautiful and well designed :)

Pics are self-explanative:

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-08-2013, 13:08:15 »
Oh, also mind if I show some artistic photos I took on the map on my ModDB page? I will state who made the map and will provide a download link of course.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-08-2013, 15:08:27 »
Oh, also mind if I show some artistic photos I took on the map on my ModDB page? I will state who made the map and will provide a download link of course.
Go ahead.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25-08-2013, 01:08:23 »
I'll throw in a couple bugs I saw as well while I was running around on the map:

Just a terrain issue at main

Floating House in the city

Misplaced static

Lightmapping maybe? or static is too far against wall...

hopefully these help you if you're still working on this ;)

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25-08-2013, 03:08:18 »
As I said in the original post the map needs new lightmaps. I released this as a beta version so I could fix as many problems as possible before re-lightmapping.

Thanks for pointing out the other issues though.

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25-08-2013, 16:08:05 »
Woah that was out of the blue. Looks good!