Author Topic: Trucks and Halftracks  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
Trucks and Halftracks
« on: 21-10-2012, 15:10:33 »
Ive noticed that trucks and halftracks dont get alot of use on maps. Mainly because there slow and loud and make good tank bait.  Plus the trucks have no means of attack, other than being used to move to a point faster than running and attack by foot.  I was wondering if trucks and half tracks could be made to deploy pick up kits, like mgs, mortars, ammo, and maybe sniper kits? This would give a reason to drive them to forward positions so you don't have to run to the main base all the time to get a "special" kit.  I would limit it to one or two of each kind of kit so we dont have 64 mgs running around  ::) This would be semi-real since trucks and halftracks were used to carry supplies in real life.  What do you think?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Trucks and Halftracks
« Reply #1 on: 21-10-2012, 15:10:40 »
Supply trucks already drop ammo boxes... Otherwise it would be nice if halftracks could spawn laffete kits/laffetes like in FH1.

Or they can make something like the PR's request kit but that's a lot of work I hear.

Also trucks can be very useful for an organized squad already, they resupply ammo for mines and other explosives and they are a great asset to a dedicated engineer squad (which you almost never see in public play but they do get some use in tournaments).
« Last Edit: 21-10-2012, 15:10:18 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-10-2012, 17:10:57 »
Yep, I love trucks too and people use it only when they missed every other transport at the start of the map and the only thing left is a truck, so they pick it up and drive it only for the care of 1 player. Some other options would get it out of the deadpool IMO...

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-10-2012, 17:10:47 »
2.45 has been out for God knows how long and I still have no idea how to resupply tanks. No trucks seem to work for me. Short of actually getting out of the tank and getting into the truck (because someone WILL steal your tank), how can I tell which trucks to drive to when I'm out of shells?
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-10-2012, 17:10:24 »
how can I tell which trucks to drive to when I'm out of shells?
Look for trucks with boxes on them. There are these open trucks, with the canvas down, you know, and there is no space for players to sit in them (except for the cabin of course, if you enter them they have only two seats instead of 8). Instead, they have boxes in the loading compartment. These trucks reload your ammo.

To resupply your tank, park the tank next to the ammotruck. You don't need to be in the truck for it to work.
« Last Edit: 21-10-2012, 18:10:37 by Slayer »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21-10-2012, 18:10:41 »
Actually the supply trucks were given 2 more sitting spots in the back compartment so they can now carry 4 players in total.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-10-2012, 18:10:02 »
Ah, OK. It has been a while since I sat in a supply truck ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-10-2012, 18:10:52 »
how can I tell which trucks to drive to when I'm out of shells?
Look for trucks with boxes on them. There are these open trucks, with the canvas down, you know, and there is no space for players to sit in them (except for the cabin of course, if you enter them they have only two seats instead of 8). Instead, they have boxes in the loading compartment. These trucks reload your ammo.

To resupply your tank, park the tank next to the ammotruck. You don't need to be in the truck for it to work.

Thanks, I will try this next time.

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21-10-2012, 19:10:23 »
This will help a bit at least :)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #9 on: 21-10-2012, 19:10:19 »
Also, supply trucks have a different minimap icon: looks like it has a giant bullet on it.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21-10-2012, 20:10:27 »
Also, supply trucks have a different minimap icon: looks like it has a giant bullet on it.

Oh so that's supposed to be a giant bullet? I thought it was just some random lines... :P

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21-10-2012, 23:10:17 »
Presumably they must have, but did the devs give any thought to there being a tank ammo box, similar to the ones for regular infantry? This way, if you get a cool player using the ammo truck like he should, zooming around from tank to tank, all is good, and if (as is often the case on normal servers, and especially on the 128 servers) some asshole is just taxiing around with it, you can still find a way to resupply in your main.

Didn't mean to steal your thread Trainz :D.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21-10-2012, 23:10:17 »
^ As far as I have understood the dev's philosophy was always been that no FH 2 player is patient enough to drive all the way to the main to resupply.

But I don't see why not add something like that, even if it's just a box or a bunch of shells for that purpose...

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21-10-2012, 23:10:04 »
That's a fair point - I imagine the majority of players don't, and on some maps if you've adventured far enough away from your main in a Matilda or Valentine, it's literally faster to throw a satchel on it and wait for it to respawn than to drive back to resupply. In addition to this, I feel like a bit of a dick retreating in a tank for ammo if it's a tank others are likely to be waiting in line for.

It should be noted, though, that the patience to drive from St. Lambert to the German main and back again is nothing compared to the patience needed to hunt down the ammo truck if others have been driving off with it.

Offline BaskaBommi

• Fought the Battle of the Nazisis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-10-2012, 06:10:00 »
I have really understood the meaning of dropping the ammobox by right-click when on an ammotruck.
Steam-name: Sinko-Zimo