Author Topic: map grids  (Read 6273 times)

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

map grids
« on: 31-03-2009, 03:03:48 »
I posted this on the old forums but it was swiflty killed along with GF.

I would be nice if a more comprehensive grid pattern using the keypad system could be added to the in game map.(see terrible paint diagram below)

ps. where can you add attachments?

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: map grids
« Reply #1 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:41 »
I'm confused, the image makes it look like you are dividing a current grid into 9 more squares. Though I'm sure that is not what you mean. So where does the keypad come into place?

Sorry, it's kinda late overhere. :/

Offline Mspfc Doc DuFresne

• A Poet and I didn't Know It
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:08 »
I saw that thread too, and yes, he is doing that. The concern was that normal map grids are often too large too accurately describe something's position, while a square 1/3 the dimension (1/9 the area) is just about right, and convenient since it only requires one more digit, instead of two, to describe.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #3 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:25 »
Yes that is what im trying to say. As it is 1 grid squad covers a large area. By dividing them into 9 more squares(representing the keypad on a computer) you can more accuratly tell you team where enemies/things are.

Ex. Enemy soldier A1(meaning the big square which are ingame now) keypad 3( meaning the number 3 square within A10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:12 »
Heh, you responded quickly.
Twilight - the movie is just like Schindler's list... You know you're watching a crime against humanity, but it's sort of entertaining.~~Ts4EVER

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #5 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:13 »
Ive been lurking ;)

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:54 »
They have this in PR, and I have to say it's a really useful feature.

Example;

(Click for full size)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31-03-2009, 05:03:06 »
See, Admiral, normally South City Objective would be C8, but now you can designate the location to the building, e.g. E8, #3.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #8 on: 31-03-2009, 05:03:10 »
  Would be nice....I use this style of enemy reports all the time with the 130th/WaW guys.   In a perfect spot a sherman in the NE part of B-4 zipping south would go over TS/Venty as such "Enemy Sherman in Bruno 4..9 heading south!"  I will say however in the heat of battle most the time I just use the current flag we are at and the enemy position in relation to said flag.  Such as "Enemy sherman North east of flag!"

But yeah this would be a nice addition to the maps.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline Zrix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31-03-2009, 05:03:03 »
See, Admiral, normally South City Objective would be C8, but now you can designate the location to the building, e.g. E8, #3.
Well actually, it would be C8KP9. Or possibly C8KP6, depending on if you go by the flag or the attack marker.

Offline Kebert Xela

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31-03-2009, 09:03:02 »
Sounds like a very useful idea, its annoying if you call out something in lets say G3, and someone else responses : "where in G3?"  >:(

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31-03-2009, 10:03:19 »
when i first read the topic title i thought of something horrible but this system (as in PR) is a good one and should be adapted if possible.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #12 on: 31-03-2009, 11:03:21 »
jeah, its a good system. sometimes i miss it to when i speak with my mates about an enemy position.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31-03-2009, 14:03:40 »
Ah I see what is meant now. Yeah I agree that a sub grid to further divide the map  up would help a lot. For general things or when accuracy doens't matter you can call in the main grid. When a more detailed position is needed you could use the 9 square subgrid.

Especially in cities (west and east front!) this could help so it's not "Enemy tank/sapper/... C5 near the white house that err.. is next to the two story stone house...". :p

Optionally: If we would one day get those hand drawn maps the could be more militairy style wihich use a much more accurate grid for positioning (though only on the side lines: you have a main grid and various "rulers" on the side).

Or a combination of both these "rulers" on the side and a subgrid.
« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 14:03:15 by Admiral Donutz »

Biiviz

« Reply #14 on: 31-03-2009, 15:03:38 »
The problem I can see here is that there might be conflicting ideas of where the numbers are located (that already happened in this thread).