Author Topic: Picture of the Day (Other eras)  (Read 905782 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day (Other eras)
« Reply #8775 on: 14-06-2017, 12:06:22 »
Again, makes sense, and, if so, means that Raqqah should go faster than expected and with much fewer civilian casualties.

Your fears confirmed.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Raqqa battle: 'Staggering' civilian toll from US-led air strikes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40271450

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: 14-06-2017, 14:06:11 »

Alleged deployment of white phosphorus munitions in Raqqa as reported by ISIS-linked Amaq news agency © YouTube

The use of the weapons in Mosul was confirmed by New Zealand’s Brig. Gen. Hugh McAslan.
“We have utilized white phosphorous to screen areas within west Mosul to get civilians out safely,” he told the US broadcaster NRP, in what appears to be the first confirmation of its kind. Previously the coalition reported using white phosphorous munitions in rural areas of Iraq, but not in densely populated cities.
(Source: RT)
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: 14-06-2017, 20:06:36 »
Again, makes sense, and, if so, means that Raqqah should go faster than expected and with much fewer civilian casualties.

Your fears confirmed.
Huh? I'm not following here for a moment. If I'm understanding correctly, Mudra is not fearing many civ casualties, but Zoo implies he does? Elaborate, please.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: 14-06-2017, 21:06:46 »
I was referring to his earlier post, fearing that the ISIS will use citizens of Raqqa as either conscript or forced suicide bomber by holding their family hostage. Either way, ISIS won't let Raqqa fall without spilling the blood of the innocent, so I think in this case, they use the citizens as human shield.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: 14-06-2017, 21:06:47 »

Current Raqqa situation map.

After Raqqa will (no doubt) fall under SDF control, what do you all think the SDF's next move will be? Or will they be done conquering areas? Interested to hear your responses.
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: 15-06-2017, 00:06:22 »
After Raqqah, SDF has no real objetives against ISIS. One could say they can drive towards the besieged city of Deir ez-Zor, but for what?, to relieve it from ISIS or to relieve it from ISIS AND the SAA elements still holding on?.

I think the SDF will most likely concentrate on their next fight, against the Turks. I don't think the Turks will let the Kurds live "so easily" after all of this mess, Erdogan's face is red tomato when he sees that the Kurds are actually controlling territory now. But the US is in the middle of this as well, effectively supporting the SDF, the SAA is also in some sort of temporary alliance or cease fire with the Kurds but I don't think they'll be willing to fight the Turks after years of bleeding out in this pointless war.

ISIS has been defeated a looong time ago, when they lost momentum in both Syria and Iraq (they were more successful in Iraq than in Syria imo, with their elements almost reaching Baghdad itself), it was just a matter of time. Problem remains, another ISIS could emerge, if we don't kill the mother, she'll just keep having babies. And Saudi Arabia is not really a kind guy in this situation, I'm just saying.

Recent gains made by the SAA close to Raqqah, I wonder if this move poses any threat to the Battle of Raqqah, and how the US will kindly respond to Syrians moving inside their own borders...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: 15-06-2017, 00:06:45 »
I was referring to his earlier post, fearing that the ISIS will use citizens of Raqqa as either conscript or forced suicide bomber by holding their family hostage. Either way, ISIS won't let Raqqa fall without spilling the blood of the innocent, so I think in this case, they use the citizens as human shield.
Ah, all clear now, thx.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: 15-06-2017, 02:06:55 »
The SDF has had a stated goal of driving to relieve the Siege of Deir Ez Zur, and for them, relieving the siege would be good brownie points for them in negotiating with Assad's regime come war's end.  If they can nab as much territory as possible and relieve the siege, they can better bargain towards a federalization of Syria, even if it is just their areas that are federalized.  The SAA simply doesn't have the manpower or will to fight the SDF I feel, especially since they still have to defeat the FSA after the fall of ISIS.  The US will most likely pull back resources to both the FSA and SDF once ISIS is gone, since we'll have no real purpose left there, other than maybe to guarantee the SDF against Turkish incursion.

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: 15-06-2017, 02:06:11 »
Do you think SAA can relieve Deir ez-Zor at all?, they made some progress by Palmyra (liberating Arak just now).

Can they make it in time before a major ISIS offensive hits the garrison hard?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: 15-06-2017, 02:06:44 »
Hard to say.  They have a lot of desert ground to cover, and ISIS resistance will stiffen the closer they step towards Deir Ez Zur, while they'll have fewer and fewer men to push with as they extend their lines.  There's a good chance that any thrust to Deir Ez Zur that just tries to quickly break through to it will face the same annihilation that happened when they tried that with Thawrah a year or two ago.  Basically, the best way is to just slice off territory bit by bit, but that will lead to slower gains for them.  I'd say the better choice for the SAA would be to focus on rolling back the ISIS holdings east of Khanasir and Salamiyah, so as to better secure their route to Aleppo, and for the PR of taking a bunch of land with relative ease.  I'd expect ISIL would execute the same quick withdrawal from those exposed positions, the same thing they did with Dayr Hafir and Masaknah.  ISIL HAS shown some strategic aptitude in Western Syria, holding onto territory as long as they can for the cash-flow, but quickly pulling back to limit losses and allow transferring of relieved fighters to more critical fronts to their survival, like Deir Ez Zur and Al Qiam.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: 15-06-2017, 03:06:48 »

Military situation in Daraa: Syrian Arab Army & Allies made teritorial gains (blue) during their recent offensive, Daraa Governorate, Syria, June 14th, 2017.

Extra:

Military situation in eastern Syria, June 11th, 2017.

Footage: Syrian Arab Army & Allies are slowly advancing against ISIS in the desert east of Palmyra, (having taken the village of Arak and T3 Pumping Station/Airbase), Homs Governorate, June 13th, 2017

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Born2Kill 007

• Anytime, baby
  • Professional accountancy hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: 15-06-2017, 16:06:58 »
Ще ми се изпържи картофа
#FreeDamaso

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: 15-06-2017, 17:06:37 »
the black Saudi flag threw me for a loop. I though ISIS acquired an air force for a second :P

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: 15-06-2017, 22:06:30 »
^^ me too.  :D

Picture:

Despite SDF having reached the city center of Raqqah in the east, ISIS keeps attacking from distance with anti-tank-guided-missiles and SVBIEDs, Raqqah Governorate, Syria, June 15th, 2017.

Extra:
Footage: Remains of ISIS at Arak Gas Field/Syriatel tower, Homs Governorate, June 14th, 2017, 720p

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: 16-06-2017, 19:06:41 »
ISIS flag never featured the sabre. They just consisted of heavily simplified Syahadat sentence with the white circle seal of Muhammad in the centre.