Author Topic: Vehicle Fuel Idea  (Read 883 times)

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
Vehicle Fuel Idea
« on: 29-10-2014, 06:10:12 »
So I was pounding around on El Alamein on coop with a friend of mine, running a few Panzer III's through their paces and getting quite a few kills against the AI. We were being careful and ended up surviving so long that we ran out of ammo a few times. So I was thinking, it would be interesting to limit fuel. Not to something ridiculous. Just something to where you might have to stop for fuel if you decide to drive around the map a few times. Obviously it's an impractical feature, so I didn't post it in the suggestions.

What I'm curious about is would it be possible to do on this engine? I think fuel is a feature left out of a lot of games (for good reasons sometimes), but it would be interesting to see it implemented in a more practical way (with supply trucks and tank trailers supplying fuel, a decent, practical range, etc).

What are yall's thoughts?

Offline Erwin

• Admin of CMP-Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Collaborative Multiplayer Gaming
Re: Vehicle Fuel Idea
« Reply #1 on: 29-10-2014, 07:10:14 »
Like somebody bring them to you. No offense mate, I don't if it's possible, but even if it's possible, It's not for online play. You'll become immobilized in the middle of nowhere and nobody will bother to help you.
- It's still up!
- No it ain't.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-10-2014, 15:10:37 »
This had already been discussed in the past and the conclusion was that it would be  unrealistic given the distances and scale of the maps...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-10-2014, 15:10:28 »
If the scale of FH2 would be larger. Lets talk ARMA/Planetside 2 scale where you have freakishly massive maps to play on and the gameplay would be slow enough to justify such features, then sure why not. Logistics would be helluva interesting game design feature but with the scale we have, I dont see it needed.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-10-2014, 17:10:57 »
However, one idea that I think would be interesting to have (and a small nod to WW2 history) is "afterburner" for some tanks like the Crusader (and Cromwell?), simulating how the crews would remove the speed governors on their engines in order to go faster... Although operating without them for longer periods was known to cause engine issues and increase the need for maintenance (no way to simulate that ingame unfortunately)
« Last Edit: 29-10-2014, 17:10:00 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-10-2014, 17:10:54 »
Maybe it can damage the tank, but very, very slowly, so when you use it for a prolonged period of time, you get a half HP tank in a fight

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-10-2014, 20:10:10 »
If we would have fuel running out on 1km x 1km maps, then why not have randomly immobilizing German tanks too in order to simulate the gearbox of the Panthers/Tigers/Tiger II's breaking down?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-10-2014, 21:10:55 »
Usually you don't live that long to

- run out of ammo
- run out of fuel

;)

Offline GIJordncc1701d

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-10-2014, 23:10:45 »
Oh yeah I see the problems with it. I just think it's an interesting element that isn't often seen. What I would do (if I could create things from a whim) would be to have it in there, just make it to where you could drive around Gazala 5 or 6 times and then get low on fuel. But with all the things the game needs (Russia, more Russia, even more Russia), it would be a waste of time to even think about. But, it would be cool.

And true that about not living long enough. We were being very careful to not get too close and really work together, which is why we lived for so long (well, the main factor was we were fighting the AI, which even turned up quite high still isn't too much of a challenge).

I would love to see something like a gearbox failure or tracks coming off from a hit. Along with something like aileron failure on a plane (reducing the roll speed) and other things like that. However I'm pretty darn sure those things aren't possible with this engine.