Author Topic: New feature on F|H Teamwork server  (Read 2577 times)

Offline dutch

• FHT - F|H Tournament Founder
    • View Profile
    • www.forgottenhonor.com
Re: New feature on F|H Teamwork server
« Reply #15 on: 18-10-2009, 12:10:08 »
Now is there also a script that every squadleader must lead their squads with VOIP  ;D

I always loved this feature and it is great to see good filled squads on a map, if the SL is good and can control their men then it can be very good teamplay on the servers. Also it makes it much more interesting to play as a commander.
"Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire."

www.forgottenhonor.com

Offline Rawhide

• Part-time Cowboy
  • FH-Betatester
  • King of the Off-Topic Section
    • View Profile
    • #fhmod
« Reply #16 on: 18-10-2009, 13:10:37 »
Tested this - yep, worked as intended. I like it!
Same here, I like it.

And I also think it's a good way to make people see the true face of Forgotten Hope and Forgotten Honor. You don't have to lonewolf around! :D

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19-10-2009, 08:10:40 »
tbh I think this is great. Forcing to join squad is a typical server-issue. I would be totally against a mod built-in force, but now players who like teamplay can play on some servers, and those who rather rambo alone can just join another. (allthough I cant picture the person who would join FHT, get kicked by the squad-script and then join another server in rage, he would most likely crawl back and just join.)

great work Samnadine + guys.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19-10-2009, 08:10:16 »
tbh I think this is great. Forcing to join squad is a typical server-issue. I would be totally against a mod built-in force, but now players who like teamplay can play on some servers, and those who rather rambo alone can just join another. (allthough I cant picture the person who would join FHT, get kicked by the squad-script and then join another server in rage, he would most likely crawl back and just join.)

I am one person who won't bother to join up as I don't use a microphone, nor do I feel compelled to use VOIP just so I can talk to some Portuguese, Swedes and Russians (hypothetical examples), who don't speak or understand my language, i sure as hell won't understand them either so why are we bothering?

A question regarding the SL script-kick...
 What happens if I am playing on your server, people leave the squad and I am stuck as a Squad leader by default?

By your intentions I am no longer welcome to play on your server and that is sorely out of place in a small mod with a very limited population base to work from.

IMO, As a general rule for FH2, we should be welcoming people, not giving them reasons to never join us again by imposing rules that were never part of the basic game's design.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19-10-2009, 08:10:27 »

I am one person who won't bother to join up as I don't use a microphone, nor do I feel compelled to use VOIP just so I can talk to some Portuguese, Swedes and Russians (hypothetical examples), who don't speak or understand my language, i sure as hell won't understand them either so why are we bothering?

A question regarding the SL script-kick...
 What happens if I am playing on your server, people leave the squad and I am stuck as a Squad leader by default?

By your intentions I am no longer welcome to play on your server and that is sorely out of place in a small mod with a very limited population base to work from.

IMO, As a general rule for FH2, we should be welcoming people, not giving them reasons to never join us again by imposing rules that were never part of the basic game's design.

In most squads I never hear anyone using voip, or if someone is using just change squad. Also joining squad with custom name most likely will get you some voip users, so avoid them if you dont like to communicate with people.

If youre SL just leave squad and join again and thats done.

I think this change was good, but theres small thing that bothers me. Yeasterday I got kicked becouse I simply didn't notice that text saying i'm going to get kicked, and I was waiting for my friends so I didnt join any squad yet. So can't that text be in middle of your screen with huge letters so everyone for sure will see it?

Offline 9.Pz Kreuzer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-10-2009, 10:10:52 »
Very good!

Offline rattovolante

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-10-2009, 10:10:46 »
Now is there also a script that every squadleader must lead their squads with VOIP  ;D

This doesn't seem to work, yesterday I had VOIP disabled (I didn't realize this, I thought it was ok) and created a new squad with no problems.

BTW dutch, I don't think this script improves gameplay, as you can still have VOIP active with no mic, or with a mic switched off, or set to 1% volume, etc. In other words, I don't think the script can know if VOIP is not just "enabled" but actually working.

Since every script running on the server increases server load, I would suggest to remove this script, as it provides no advantage IMO.

Usually there is at least one "lonewolf" and/or "no mic" squad. If there is none, create your own if you can - make sure to choose a descriptive name so other players understand what the squad is for. As said above, I created a squad without VOIP yesterday with no problems.
If max number of squads is reached, join the emptiest squad, SLs of almost empty squads usually don't bother giving orders/squadchatting.
game.utilities.printScriptTillItFuckingWorks() fan

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19-10-2009, 11:10:21 »
Goodjob guys! Hopefully we will see more teamwork!

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19-10-2009, 11:10:36 »
Also many people use teamspeak or vent instead of voip.

Offline samnadine

• View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor
« Reply #24 on: 19-10-2009, 18:10:09 »

I think the server is offering more options to players. You have tons of servers where you can play without joining squads, we give options to players who want to have other types of experiences on FH2, more focused on teamplay and fun with other people (playing alone is damn boring)

You are not forced to be SL and you don't need microphone. The rule is to enforce teamwork, cooperation and coordination between players.

If you want to play alone, sniping and so then create a squad called lonewolfers or something like that for the people who are tired of playing with teamwork. However it's not recommended to have closed squads..

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19-10-2009, 18:10:14 »

hah.  Funny that noone got the joke.  No way to enforce that. :)

You can be a SL w/o a mic.  There are quite a few time I have put together pubbie squads where everyone was shy or whatever.  The Ingame stuff works pretty well in getting guys togroup up together.  But a $5 mic greatly increases the gameplay experience IMO.  There are no good reasons to not join a squad. 

I still think that it is something that any server admin should be able to implement with a simple "KICKSQUADLESS 1" opition in the mod's init.py.

Offline IcratoX

• Operations Director, Forgotten Honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20-10-2009, 01:10:30 »
I like the idea of this script, hopefully it forces people to get used to teamwork. Which is pretty important I think to make this mod great.

Hehe, forgotten only once to join a squad. But just return back to the server and then you won't forget it to join one anymore.
In time of Peace, Prepare for War.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20-10-2009, 01:10:43 »
I usually don't play on Euro servers, so this likely won't affect me much, but since this is the internet, I can voice my opinions anyway.  :P

I think this is a nice experiment.  If it works, great.  If not, at least you tried.  I personally wouldn't want every server to adopt this script (or perhaps, maybe a less strict version..somehow?), but the more variety the better, right? 

You might want to keep an eye out and check if it actually does promote more teamplay, or if a bunch of people are simply joining a squad to not get kicked off the server.  For example, if you have a good, actual teamwork-oriented squad going, but only have 5 people in it, and then someone joins the squad to not get kicked, but doesn't go along with everyone else in the squad, it's kinda counter-productive, especially if that last slot could be filled with someone who actually wants to be in a teamwork squad.  I know the SL can just kick the non teamplayer, but alot of people are reluctant to do that (or don't know how), so it could kinda cripple a functioning teamwork squad that way.  But I'm sure that's not going to happen too often, anyway.

Anyway, good luck.  Hopefully it works as intended and gets more people working together (which could then spill over into other non-forced-squad servers, making the whole mod community more tight knit and teamwork focused, yay!).  Umm, anyway, like I said, good luck.

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20-10-2009, 02:10:12 »
I like it! Finally, no more loose noobs! teamwork actually works for the team now!

Offline dutch

• FHT - F|H Tournament Founder
    • View Profile
    • www.forgottenhonor.com
« Reply #29 on: 20-10-2009, 10:10:49 »
Yup last night was great, only problem now is that the data center is down that hosts our servers :(

Lets hope it is back up for tonight.

@ Ionizer

It works for 3/4 till now, allot more teamwork is going on and especially the squads that use VOIP and have a good SL have stuff going on, last night even squads communicated with eachother on who was defending what etc etc.

But also like you said 3-4 squads with 1-2 people in it, they did not form 1 squad, so that is the downside but minor to the success so far. But yes we need to keep an eye out for it.
"Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire."

www.forgottenhonor.com