Author Topic: Landmines in Normandy  (Read 2651 times)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
Landmines in Normandy
« on: 28-07-2010, 23:07:12 »
 Apart from a handful of pickup kits that can be hard to find, there does not appear to be a sufficient representation of the devastation that was wrought by German forces upon Allied armour movement by the effective placement of millions of mines across the Normandy landscape.

I understand that balance is always a concern but I feel that the absence of landmines takes away from the strategic possession of control points and AOR's. In particular, the lack of landmines has a severe impact upon the defensability of German positions. Given said lack of defence, the Germans are at a disadvantage that is not easily overcome by any other gameplay implementations or manipulations.

I propose that the Axis powers be given better representation of their defence tactics, largely by allowing the return of landmines to a greater amount of maps, both at CP's and within the mainbase itself. I do not feel it is necessary to make the kit spawnable but mines should be readily at hand (if necessary).

If this idea is not acceptable, I would then suggest that the Africa theatre minefields be implemented on more maps to allow better all around defence of German positions (particularily in the built up positions).
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Landmines in Normandy
« Reply #1 on: 28-07-2010, 23:07:15 »
The static minefields in Afrika were not added to allow "better defensive lines" or whatever, they are a tool to funnel action into certain directions, something that would otherwise be impossible on landscape as flat as the desert. in normandy however we have things like hedges, so static minefields are not necessary.

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-07-2010, 01:07:20 »
I think hes talking about africa engineer kits

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-07-2010, 02:07:01 »
I think it wont work

The desert is open, so in the rare cases you can use a mine to block an area, its worth it. Here, most places are like that, so you can get a terrible exploit...

Besides, mines are more of strategic weapons than tactical weapons, which is more what FH2 is about...So in Normandy, it might just be like having a drive-able buzz bomb or V2

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-07-2010, 07:07:30 »
I actually would support the idea of minefields placed by the mappers or a minute increase of pickup kits, but I can see some fans screaming axis bias all the way there.^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-07-2010, 14:07:15 »
The axis bias actually comes from that the German landmines can't teamkill German Armour (They need like 2x the mines to teamkill, a bad setting) Else their mines also is lethal to their own tankers.

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-07-2010, 14:07:24 »
The axis bias actually comes from that the German landmines can't teamkill German Armour (They need like 2x the mines to teamkill, a bad setting) Else their mines also is lethal to their own tankers.
I would love to see friendly mines show up in the minimap when you are driving in a vehicle.  I would think that most armor/vehicle units would know the disposition of friendly minefields...most of the time.  :)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29-07-2010, 15:07:13 »
I would love to see friendly mines show up in the minimap when you are driving in a vehicle.  I would think that most armor/vehicle units would know the disposition of friendly minefields...most of the time.  :)

still, it doesn't make sense that a tellermine can't blew up a panzerIV with 1 mine while a british landmine could do so... This just encourage the Germans to laid them without flags.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-07-2010, 16:07:32 »

Where did you see this ingame? I get blown up instantly by friendly mines. Iirc both have the same code.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Battlefieldfan45 (CroPanzer)

• Gebalte? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-07-2010, 16:07:03 »
Lol I remember when me and some friends used the tiger on Matruh line to clear the city of mines ;D
The damn brits spammed the damn place and the Tiger needs like 2-3 to blow it up.So I was driving and a crew of three engineers kept me runnin' :D

Playing WoT with ingame nick: CroPanzer

Offline Steel_Lion_FIN

• Mostly drunk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-07-2010, 20:07:12 »
Lol I remember when me and some friends used the tiger on Matruh line to clear the city of mines ;D

If landmines are implemented in western front/normandy, then a flail sherman is needed to clear them. Mostly the Sherman crab for the british.
I'd rather play Kimble with my ass!

Offline Laffey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-07-2010, 01:07:01 »
The meat mincer :P :P
Good times in CoH where i used the flail sherman to devour infantry :P

FH2 nick= [BoF]RoflSeal
WoT nick= RoflSeal(aka BucketSeal by hslan and TS guys)

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-07-2010, 12:07:38 »

Where did you see this ingame? I get blown up instantly by friendly mines. Iirc both have the same code.

omg could be a server side setting instead...

Offline hslan.Corvax

• FH-Betatester
  • War photographer
    • View Profile
    • sebastiantoth.at
« Reply #13 on: 30-07-2010, 13:07:47 »
Well i can confirm that mines instal kill everything except a tiger .. I always mine the bridges near Grentheville with the captured german mine kit on Goodwood. Panthers, stugs, P4's .. .no matter what drives over it blows up instantly ..

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-07-2010, 14:07:54 »
heavy tanks need 2 mines, everything else just one.

And if you're fast enough with a jeep, you can let the mine go off , afther you've passed it taking no damage.