Author Topic: Questions about FH...  (Read 1623 times)

Offline {SHD}Metalbourne

• View Profile
Questions about FH...
« on: 13-04-2009, 03:04:44 »
I am a leader of a Red Orchestra clan/unit called the "Spearhead Division" and just had a few questions about this mod.

First off- I used to play the regular BF2 and didn't like it because of the tank warfare was horrible. Were the issues of tank warfare resolved in this mod? Meaning not based on a hit point system but more to real life like balistics and shells bouncing off and so on like in Red Orchestra? Or is it based on the hit point system such as BF2 was?

For this mod, can a map modder add his own aircraft and tanks to any map? I ask this because I also run a "Realism" campaign in RO/DH/MN/CC on all fronts of WW2 campaign, and would like to continue that campaign possibly using this game and mod if it meets our needs. We would like to add the Aircraft capability which RO and it's mods do not support.

How realistic is this game/mod? Don't know how many of you have played RO, but as far as tank warfare for WW2, I have yet to find a better game. Sure T34 vs Tiger is a great sim game, but we want something that has members to be able to play infantry and Aircraft if at all possible.

Thank you,

Metal

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about FH...
« Reply #1 on: 13-04-2009, 03:04:17 »
1: I'm not a big tanker, so use with caution. There still are hitpoints, but they don't really matter afaik. If a shot penetrates, the tank is usually destroyed, sometimes it might take two shots. Tank armor has weak spots and is based on real life values, but I don't think it is as accurate as ROs model, due to engine limtations. There is, for example, no way to disable the tracks or motor of a tank. Also, the tanks are not multi crewed, but since you want to mod the game anyway, you could add that.

2: Yes you can, but it's quite hard.

3: About realism: we have a one hit - one kill system for infantry, iron sights, realistic jump height, sprint speeds etc, but the mod isn't hyper realistic like for example Project Reality. Some features from Red Orchestra like setting up MGs on sandbags or proper bayonets can't be implemented because of engine limitations. Other than that I'd say RO and FH2 are on equal level of realism. The weapons are all authentic and historically correct. There have been made no changes to the AT Rifles to make them more powerful (like in RO).

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-04-2009, 07:04:07 »
RO is actually rather unrealistic tank combat wise...I've always found FH to do it much better.  Even if it is by a hitpoint system, tank combat will usually be 1-2 shots, and will only damage if it penetrates irl.  If it does penetrate effectivly in real life, it will in FH, and it will kill the tank.

Infy combat is spectacularly well done.

I don't fly much, but from what I know, it is very well done.

Maps are very, very accurate, and often based off of aerial photography and maps from the period.

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 13-04-2009, 08:04:52 »
You can edit any FH2 map to have any vehicle or weapon that is currently in the FH 2.15 build. Now adding custom vehicles is a different story. As TS4Ever said, its very hard. You have to model it, create the various LODs and wrecks, do 3-4 textures, export it properly, and then code it. Then you have to take all that content and edit map files to get your vehicle to run map-side.

Offline Moku

• Waaagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-04-2009, 12:04:58 »
One of the biggest differences between RO and FH2 tanking is that in FH2 angle of the hit doesn't play as big role as in vanilla RO (its been tweaked to more realistic levels in RO mods) but as said if the shot penetrates the armour its likely the tank will be destroyed. Also be aware that turrets are controlled by mouse so they are very responsive unlike in RO. Tiger is an exception to this though. ;)

Ohh and there was some small details from devs that they have already tweaked the Normandy Sherman to have more realistic movement so tanking will most likely be much more fun and interesting after the 2.2 release. As right now every tank reaches stop speed almost immediately so they feel a little wierd and not very heavy because of this. Again Tiger is an exception. :)
« Last Edit: 13-04-2009, 12:04:30 by Mokusaku »

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #5 on: 13-04-2009, 12:04:33 »
And another major difference with RO (if you didn't noticed yet) : the theather of war. Currently the FH 2 mod only includes North-Africa but Normandy is pretty close...
« Last Edit: 13-04-2009, 12:04:25 by 101st Air Hawkeye »
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-04-2009, 12:04:50 »
Northern Africa and Crete. :d
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Malsa

• A very static artist.
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-04-2009, 13:04:26 »
If you have BF2, you should just download FH2 and see for yourself if it suits your taste  :)
I don't think it really is possible to describe how FH2 feels and plays since it can be so different depending on the player and on what role you choose to take in the game.

Offline {SHD}Metalbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-04-2009, 14:04:33 »
Thank you everyone, I think I will just try it out for a bit and see how it goes.

Offline McGibs

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-04-2009, 16:04:49 »
is this the metalbourne from the penny-arcade forums?
mcgibs.iseenothing.com

Offline {SHD}Metalbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-04-2009, 20:04:40 »
No, I guess there's 2 of us, lol. I've had this name since my old days in Mechwarrior, then BF2 and COD, now in RO and it's mods. My clan and I are looking for a cheaper version of Battleground Europe online, where you have all combined arms warfare and resources. I run my own realism campaign website called "Theatre Of Conflict" (www.theatreofconflict.com) for RO and it's mods, but there's no airpower or naval (except landing craft in DH). We thought about using IL2, but again you couldn't use airpower to knockout tanks and so on to make a difference on the battlefield.

This is why i'm hoping this mod may produce the results that my unit and all the other realism units are searching for.

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #11 on: 13-04-2009, 20:04:32 »
No, I guess there's 2 of us, lol. I've had this name since my old days in Mechwarrior, then BF2 and COD, now in RO and it's mods. My clan and I are looking for a cheaper version of Battleground Europe online, where you have all combined arms warfare and resources. I run my own realism campaign website called "Theatre Of Conflict" (www.theatreofconflict.com) for RO and it's mods, but there's no airpower or naval (except landing craft in DH). We thought about using IL2, but again you couldn't use airpower to knockout tanks and so on to make a difference on the battlefield.

This is why i'm hoping this mod may produce the results that my unit and all the other realism units are searching for.

We're playing right now actually, feel free to join!

« Last Edit: 13-04-2009, 20:04:55 by 101st Air Hawkeye »
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton