Author Topic: realism?  (Read 11110 times)

Offline Ekalbs

• Bored
    • View Profile
Re: realism?
« Reply #30 on: 02-08-2010, 07:08:20 »
1. I was talking about it being interrogated into the next patch. 
2. You would not have to download anything.  You might have to set a couple keys to what you want for the talking bits if you have a mic. 
3. Pretty sure that although devs have tasks set before them by a slave master they can do whatever the fuck they feel like working on if they choose.   And if a guy that loves code wants to do this and wants the work they can make it come true. 

Any Idea What Language It Be In?
Warhammer 40,000: Unverse At War Dev Team
Battlefield 1918 Coder

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02-08-2010, 09:08:40 »
2. You would not have to download anything.  You might have to set a couple keys to what you want for the talking bits if you have a mic. 

QFT! That's called VOIP. Has been a great feature since 2005. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline hankypanky

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02-08-2010, 17:08:35 »

QFT! That's called VOIP. Has been a great feature since 2005. ^^
YUP and that's all FH2 really needs tbh.
My ingame name is [PUG]mr.hanky1945

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03-08-2010, 00:08:43 »
With people like you, you'd still be grinning about having invented the wheel

Think about it! Mumble! Sound that actually works according to where you stand on the battlefield! Shout versus radio over! How can you compare VOIP and that. I've always considered it and text subterfuge to the concept of voice over versus radio over as the commo-rose would have it... Restrict that and get mumble working, and we're really talking

Offline Chimples

• I have a suggestion....
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03-08-2010, 04:08:15 »
I value my life, please do not make it realistic. The idea of wearing the same clothes for 8 weeks in -20C weather with little food is horrendous. Its is great the way it is.......

more realism > means steeper learning curve > means less new players > shrinking community > no game future
<<<<Plays as Budovski>>> Lives as a chimp

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #35 on: 03-08-2010, 05:08:03 »
more realism > means steeper learning curve > means less new players > shrinking community > no game future

Devils advocate here but you mean like that BF2 mod Project Reality?   ;)

And really guys....Have you never used mumble?  It is great fun.  Not a huge PR fan but I did give it a go when it was last patched with mumble included.  It was really fun.  As anyone who has every played PR knows when you are the sole survivor of an ambush you can spend a great deal of time mucking about before you see your squad mates again.  This happened to me the first game I played so I started wandering towards this block of houses when all of a sudden I started hearing faint voices coming from one of the buildings I walked inside and found another friendly squad.  Asked them if I could tag along and we all worked together until I had a bad experience with a bunch of AK rounds.  It also was kinda fun being able to hear my enemies after I wacked a guy while hiding out in a shed I could hear them looking for me as they was running around my hiding spot just meters away.  Like I said I am not a huge fan of that mod but mumble made it really fun and I think would do the same for FH.  It is not really a replacement for the in game VOIP it is a whole new experience.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03-08-2010, 07:08:01 »
With people like you, you'd still be grinning about having invented the wheel

Think about it! Mumble! Sound that actually works according to where you stand on the battlefield! Shout versus radio over! How can you compare VOIP and that. I've always considered it and text subterfuge to the concept of voice over versus radio over as the commo-rose would have it... Restrict that and get mumble working, and we're really talking

Now now djin no need to get personal, you have quite a temper as I now know from meeting you on 762...
Yes mumbel has nice features, but in 50% of the cases where I used it the fact that I wasn't close enough to tell a squadmate what to look out for was more than a nuisance. I was just referring to the 'easy setup'. Which isn't so easy in mumble. ;)

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03-08-2010, 07:08:40 »
Forget about mumble in FH2. Teamwork in FH2 is next to non-existant, so it'll be a useless program that nobody will use because most of the pubbers don't even have mics. Mumble is a great program, I agree. I use it in PR a lot where the teamwork and player numbers are 10x as many as FH2. It will work good in the teamwork-orientated environment of PR, but not in the arcadey, fast-paced environment of FH2.

You'll be shot dead by a dolphin diver before you have a chance to warn your teammates, if they are even using the program.

I lol'd. There is a reason why PR, the most realistic Battlefield 2 mod out there, has the largest community out of all the mods created for BF2.
« Last Edit: 03-08-2010, 07:08:42 by Excavus »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-08-2010, 08:08:31 »
So we are back to the need to make an PRFH2 mod?
I believe there is quite a different reason why PR is successful, it is because it took the modern scenario and first of all concentrated on the important players. The Americans. Everything else like restricting gameplay and enforcing teamplay just helped to keep the numbers. FH didn't and now we have to live with it. I hope that including more maps with US forces will bring back a few people from across the pond.

Offline Excavus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03-08-2010, 08:08:20 »
So we are back to the need to make an PRFH2 mod?
I believe there is quite a different reason why PR is successful, it is because it took the modern scenario and first of all concentrated on the important players. The Americans. Everything else like restricting gameplay and enforcing teamplay just helped to keep the numbers. FH didn't and now we have to live with it. I hope that including more maps with US forces will bring back a few people from across the pond.
I never said to make a PRFH2 mod. If I wanted one, I wouldn't ask the FH2 team, I would ask the PR team. But I did anyways, and they said no, so it's not gonna happen.

PR is popular because of it's variety. The amount of factions and maps it has, along with the vehicles and weapons they use. But we didn't have that back in the day, but it still attracted players because it focused on one thing the most. Teamwork. Good old fashioned teamwork. It attracts the military guys a lot, so you'll see them roaming around the forums and in game.

People came to it because it offered new gameplay as well, something that they could not get in vBF2 or other mods. It is the reason why mods like POE2 and the like collapsed, because they stuck with the vBF2 gameplay and now it is lost effort. Look how many players they have, and compare it to FH2. Honestly the only reason why FH2 has gone this far is because of it's dedicated playerbase and it deviates from the standard vBF2 gameplay slightly.

Once again, I am not suggesting the FH2 team go for the PR gameplay style. In fact that is what I do not want them to do. If FH2 did that, it would be seen as a PR clone in WW2. It would collapse quickly because it doesn't offer anything better than PR. This is why the FH2 team should try and make different, more radical changes, and not limit themselves to the gameplay they have currently, which only goes so far from the vBF2 gameplay. Try a different path, do not go the vBF2 way or the PR way. Shiny new PzIII and Sherman variants can only please someone for so long.

I'm sorry if some of this might not make sense. I tend to ramble when I get a train of thought going, combined with the current time only makes it worse. Hopefully you understood most of it.
« Last Edit: 03-08-2010, 08:08:33 by Excavus »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03-08-2010, 09:08:36 »
What to do then.
Any ideas?

Offline Excavus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03-08-2010, 10:08:56 »
What were we talking about again? I don't remember the original point of this thread. :P

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03-08-2010, 10:08:22 »
Aspects of the first post that we can dissect, desseminate, character assasinate or consider....

@N24
It was more sarcasm than anger (Or being rude). Yer, I do have a bit of a temper lately. Sorry for that.

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03-08-2010, 10:08:54 »
Aspects of the first post that we can dissect, desseminate, character assasinate or consider....

Let us focus on the consider part. What can be changed to enhance teamwork without going all restrictive on the players. making maps that need teamwork to win was tried, but seem to have failed.

@N24
It was more sarcasm than anger (Or being rude). Yer, I do have a bit of a temper lately. Sorry for that.

No worries it's that time of year. :)

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #44 on: 03-08-2010, 11:08:43 »
I never said to make a PRFH2 mod. If I wanted one, I wouldn't ask the FH2 team, I would ask the PR team.

pls do this, and give me the link to the forumtoppic  ;D ;D