Author Topic: Alternative Anti-Tank Kit  (Read 484 times)

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
Alternative Anti-Tank Kit
« on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:18 »
What: Similar to the commander kit where you can choose between a rifle and a submachine gun I think it would be nice to have the option to choose between Bazooka or anti tank rifle grenade, Piat or Gammon bomb, or either Panzerfaust, Hafthohlladung, Bundled nades or the rifle grenades on each map. An alternative to the kit would be nice.

Why: The access to different kinds of anti tank kits on each map offers a further tactical aspect. On maps like Operation Cobra or Eppeldorf experienced players know they wont face the more deadly Bazookas or Panzerfausts and can adapt to that by driving their tank into situations they would otherwise have avoided. On Eppeldorf the Kingtiger driver knows he wont face Bazookas (only two pickups) and drive happily around knowing rifle grenades wont do the trick as good as Bazookas.

More possibilities are always fun.

Also it adds to immersion. Right now we have armies only using certain equipment on certain maps. As an example: I´m sure there were also Panzerfausts used in Operation Cobra and not only rifle grenades. If you want to make sure that players are using Panzerfaust and Bazooka on certain maps for the sake of realism then the ability to choose doesn´t need to be included. It would be nice however to have it on some maps.

Why not pickup kits: Pickup kits are usually back in the main base and often players don´t have the nerves to just walk over the whole battlefield just to get that asset.

Pickup kits are even more limited than the spawnable anti tank kits.

So I´d like to hear your opinions, please.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Anti-Tank Kit
« Reply #1 on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:14 »
That sounds like a good idea!

But what would early British/German/Italian
troops have as an alternative?
They only have either:
-Boys MK1
-Bomba L Mano
-PzB 39

Other than that,
It sounds like a good suggestion.
You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:20 »
As an example: I´m sure there were also Panzerfausts used in Operation Cobra and not only rifle grenades.

AFAIK the unit on the map is the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen which had no Panzerfausts in normandy.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:41 »
Good idea, but extremely hard to do due to the coding required for alternative selection.... However IF the devs could get in touch with Alpha project developers they might offer advanced kit customization.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:08 »
Yeah, if I recall correctly the devs have said that having the SL-style kit selection is not feasible for any other classes, and only works for SLs because the kits are basically always the same regardless of map.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-08-2012, 22:08:26 »
I will now let you in on a dirty little secret: This is entirely codable, Spit could probably code it half asleep. However, the problem is not in coding, but in organisation. See, the only reason the nco kit got the function is because it is always in the same slot. Now for every other kit you would need to make tons of weapon clones and extra kits for every single "exception" to the rule, meaning a map that uses non standard kit setups. Every uninque combination means cloning one of the weapons, means adding a new kit, means changing it in the map files. And hten there are kits, especially in early war, where no real alternative exists.
All in all, it is a huge, mostly clerical and thus rather boring, task that nobody wants to do.