Author Topic: Battlefield 1942 - Now Free  (Read 16040 times)

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 1942 - Now Free
« Reply #45 on: 06-11-2012, 11:11:24 »
Natty, how fucking hard can it be to merge servers ? What about the people who pay for these servers. They just have to move up because suddenly the game is provided on a new platform ?

So in the future if BF3 would be provided free by steam, you think it's logical that everyone should de-install origin and move up to steam ?

again I still have to see the first mod working on this "version". It doesn't have XP packs as well. It does kind of feel hammered down.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice that EA is providing a free game, but they could have just handled it differently .

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06-11-2012, 12:11:42 »
[
they should have made this promotion work with the original disc holders...
I guess they didn't come to the ceremony where they crowned you King of what they should and shouldn't do with their games  8)

Im forced to throw up the Louis CK clip where he rants about how people of today whine about everything.
They're giving away the game for free. It's amazing. People are able to enjoy a game they havent played in years. Maybe never played, only heard about. And you're whining that they "force" you to install this (free) game digitally, instead of hasseling with CDs?

YOU ARE A FUCKING DOUCHEBAG MOST OF THE TIME NATTY !!!!
 GO INSTALL AND TRY AND PLAY FHSW. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE

I have bought 5 separate copies of BF42 over the years and the bloody Origin won't even work for me. So where's your fucking solution now???

I didn't whine about anything, all I did was voice the opinion that the game should have been merged with all the people who bloody well paid for and have played the crap out of this game since day 1.

What is wrong with EA respecting their customers?
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline RAnDOOm

• Portugal - Surfs Paradise in Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06-11-2012, 12:11:19 »

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #48 on: 06-11-2012, 13:11:16 »

*sits next to Rand00m* "Yo Rand00m, anything good while I was gone?"

*steals some of his popcorn and enjoys the show*
*sees Rand00m's angry face and hands over a beer as reparation*

Good thing I got out of this discussion when I still could (@ post #19). :P
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 13:11:25 by x4fun ODIUM »
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06-11-2012, 13:11:59 »
^ Yes they are giving a game for free. But not the full game
Yes, the full game :) the expansion packs dont count as part of the full game. The Origin version is the full game of Battlefield 1942 TM
We don't even get mod support
did you try any mod? they work if they were done correct.
and that's one of the things that made BF 42 special
not really. Most shooters back then had mod tools. What made bf42 special came from the awesome design + execution of a vision the DICE guys had, accept it.
Plus they are effectively splitting the (albeit small) playerbase into "free players" and "customers"...
LOL! no, they arent! because the people with the CD version CAN install the Origin version as well, is this so hard to get?
Was it so hard to make the CD version work on Origin servers, to not screw up your loyal customers, many of whom probably still don't have a decent computer/internet connection if they still play their 10 year old game?
DOUBLE-LOL! yes apparently it was, or they'd done it, right? Secondly "loyal customers" you mean the guys sitting playing a 10 year old game refusing to get a new one? Loyal customers are Origin users with 3 or more battlefield title in their Origin account who are now getting the chance to play a classic game.
If they dont have internet, they cant play anyway, so it doesnt matter.
What PC they have doesnt matter either.
Point stands: if you have internet you can play this free version.

Now, why go on the internet and whine about this? It's a non-issue. You just saw something that wasnt 100% perfect as you want it, then you must go online and complain.
Origin version works fine, or you would see an influx of 1000% players already trying it out.
Why would I care about Origin servers?
If you want to play the game with the rest of the people, install Origin version and discard your old version, very easy and actually it's faster to install the origin version than the CD version :) if you have decent internet connection. If you dont, then I suggest take a walk in the nice, crips autumn weather while it downloads, instead of raging about non-existent problems on our forum. thx.

@FatJoe: I didnt quite get your point... you mean you dont want to play on the Origin servers? Do as you like, I dont know what I have to do with that. You can choose to play Bf1942 on Origin servers where most people currently are, or on the old servers. Why make a thing about it? You spent more time in this thread now than it would have taken you to get the Origin version. It can download in the background while you watch youtube or facebook, I really do not see any point in continue complaining about a free game which requires you to use the digital platform to use it. Just accept it and move on and it'll feel so much better inside.

get your head out of your ass, you may understand things better ;)
subject of ban, push it more and we'll see you in 30 days.
Aparantly, origin doesnt like you to change the default instalation folder , i would take the piss on ea, but at least it lets you change it, unlike steam.

solved it by reinstaling it on the default folder. total instalation time: 40 min. expansion packs installed: 0. good origin!
aha! so it was just you not knowing how to change the default installation. Well, you could've asked.
exp packs was never planned to be in, most players just want the classic maps anyway. 40min, pretty smooth and fast I'd say. It took me 10min but then im on 100/100 line as well.

See? wasnt so hard now, was it?
Natty, how fucking hard can it be to merge servers ?
Well that sentence is made in a way so you answer your own question :) since you havent a clue how all this works, you also arent in position to question it.
What if the fact is that the origin version is another version of bf1942 with 1.61 all bundled in to one, while the cd version is patched versions? what if there are technical reasons which you and I dont understand? Why question it? "how hard can it be" is terminology usually used by someone who hasnt a freaking idea about the subject he talks about, so let's leave it at that now shall we? let's continue to live in the wonderful land of ignorance where guys like you and me simply are blessed with not knowing everything  :D

So in the future if BF3 would be provided free by steam, you think it's logical that everyone should de-install origin and move up to steam
What does that have to do with anything? completely different games, tech and platform. lol, where did you even come up with that comparison? No, perhaps then they would feel it worth investing in creating a technological solution that made it possible? but now they didnt? or where did you think that comparison would lead you? except in to a cul-de-sac of points-not-made.

again I still have to see the first mod working on this "version"
hm... "version"? why the quotation marks, makes it seem as you didnt understand quite how this all works... The Origin version should AFAIK work with mods, but I havent tried it myself yet. The FH devs will try to make version that fits it, we'll see how it turns out. Most likely the mods made their installers so they check if BF1942 was of correct version back in the days of patches, like 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 etc, but since Origin isnt really that kind of version, mods might have to change the installers to ignore what version of bf1942 the user has

Everything can be made differently luftwaffe, that's a lesson life teaches you. Things are never perfect, just learn to accept things for what they are when you can't change them :)

https://www.google.se/search?q=mindfulness+acceptance+model&hl=sv&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZwSZUPrYDqTR4QSPz4BI&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=612

I have bought 5 separate copies of BF42 over the years and the bloody Origin won't even work for me. So where's your fucking solution now???
https://help.ea.com/se/origin  :-*
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 13:11:27 by Natty »

Offline Gezoes

• There is no middle ground.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06-11-2012, 13:11:56 »
Q: Can I play online against players who have the original disc-based version?
A: Unfortunately, no. This Origin digital download version can only be played against other players who are using the same version. But since it’s free for everyone, everyone can download their own copy of the game. This version of the game will only show applicable (new) servers in the server browser.

;D

I was almost temped.

FAIL

"If I wasn't a little mad, I'd go mad."

Offline FatJoe

• Developer
  • An old timer
    • View Profile
    • My internet
« Reply #51 on: 06-11-2012, 14:11:35 »
..I really do not see any point in continue complaining about a free game which requires you to use the digital platform to use it. Just accept it and move on and it'll feel so much better inside.

I'm just saying I don't like to uninstall my current version just to download it and reinstall it again on Origin.
But It doesn't mean I can do anything about it, so of course I'll have to accept it and move on.. It's just me sharing my opinion, and you can call it QQing (what ever that is) or crying or what ever, I still won't like it, and I'm still allowed to share my opinion, whether you like my opinion or not.

Offline pizzzaman

• Test Map De-coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06-11-2012, 14:11:38 »
This "free" battlefield 1942 reminded me of the free console port "Call of Duty Classic".

You are bathing in misery and hope, waiting for someone to come and pull the plug.

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06-11-2012, 14:11:21 »
Natty, I’m an engineer. The engineering philosophy tells me that it is not possible to offer a solution for a problem on this level. Not having a solution for the issue, for me, indicates a lack of good will on EA’s side to actually provide it. Even a simple patch for the 10 year old game to  synchronize the new with the old might do it.

Well that sentence is made in a way so you answer your own question  since you havent a clue how all this works, you also arent in position to question it.

Are you insinuation I lack the intelligence to comprehend such an issue ? I explained the engineering philosophy, so how hard can it be ?  Fine , I do not have a master degree in computer science and only seen basic programming, but what are you natty, the guru of the almighty knowledge ? Sometimes your arrogance astonishes me. If his lordship wants to enlighten me why no force on earth could merge the two servers, please feel free to do so. And don’t spare the technical details.

hm... "version"? why the quotation marks, makes it seem as you didnt understand quite how this all works

I think I understand how it works. They must have made a new version to be compatible with their new platform. What they must have done is change the underlying code and not look at the game itself since it still possess the same bugs the original had. Hence "version" in quotation marks, since the final product does not show any change on the surface.

Everything can be made differently luftwaffe, that's a lesson life teaches you. Things are never perfect, just learn to accept things for what they are when you can't change them

Bullshit. You would make a very very bad engineer. You don’t have to take things for granted. Where there is a will, there is a way. At least so for most products offered for consumers. If verybody would follow your philosophy,  we would still be living in the ’80.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06-11-2012, 15:11:39 »

aha! so it was just you not knowing how to change the default installation. Well, you could've asked.
exp packs was never planned to be in, most players just want the classic maps anyway. 40min, pretty smooth and fast I'd say. It took me 10min but then im on 100/100 line as well.

refrain to my original phrase. let me talk louder: i know how to change the default instalation, i did. origin doesnt like that, allows it nonetheless, unistalled. redownloaded, put it in the original instalation folder (even trough its my windows partition and i want all my games to be in my games partition) problem solved.

but doesnt matter, i played abd i enjoyed topscoring even trou i havent play the game in 5 years :9. altrough it says a lot about the current fps player base when you see allies spaming granedes in allied positions thinking ff is by default off ;D
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 15:11:56 by SiCaRiO »

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06-11-2012, 15:11:34 »
Natty this morning:

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06-11-2012, 16:11:36 »
@luftwaffe.be: if it was possible, or worth it, they obviously would have done it. Or, if it actually mattered. Now it doesn't,  since everyone can download the new Origin version instead of playing their CD versions :)
An engineer might have spent hundreds of hours merging code, assigning QA to spend hours testing, and do any of all the many tasks that goes in to releasing games on the internet. Now, engineers don't decide things, so that is not what happened. That is why a new Origin version of the game was released, because: it's easier for CD users to download the Origin version than what it is for DICE to make the two versions compatible. 8)

Bugs? No one ever stated this version would have changed any content, this is not a new patch.
No of course I dont insult your intelligence, only your effort to attempt to view things from another point than 'angry gamer' or as you state, technical engineer.
True, I would become a bad engineer :) that is why I became a designer instead.

i know how to change the default instalation, i did. origin doesnt like that
"like"?` ;D since when do software "like" things? Just change it in the options, it is very easy and poses zero problems. ok, good.

Bottom line is; free bf1942 version is a chance for the huge battlefield fanbase to be able to play an old game. It's either for the fans that never played it, or for the old fans that havent played it in a long time. Fact is, 90% of the Battlefield fans never played bf1942 or even BF2 for that matter. Most joined with BC2 and BF3, and this is a chance for them to see where it all started.

we done here?  8)
« Last Edit: 06-11-2012, 16:11:30 by Natty »

Offline AfterDune

• PR Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06-11-2012, 16:11:29 »
I'm sure they haven't bothered with it, since EA wants you to try Origin - and hopefully buy shit ;).

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06-11-2012, 16:11:49 »
Not even 24 hrs since the thread's creation and it's already half full of shit.

This forum never disappoints. 8)

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06-11-2012, 16:11:26 »
so anyone been playing forgotten hope or desert combat on this before i download the whole thing?
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."